Windows 10: UEFI with CSM module Question

Discus and support UEFI with CSM module Question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver. In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Sep 12, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UEFI with CSM module Question

Hi there
    Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver.

In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or UEFI only --but under legacy mode I have the option to enable CSM module --- on the boot info it says this enables UEFI for Windows 7 /SP1/SP2. Now I know this is an older server and Windows 10 wasn't around then but does this mean if I leave it in Legacy mode with CSM enabled that it will boot W10 GPT Disks as well as legacy MBR stuff -- would be the most flexible.

Can't try it yet as I'm away from home today so I'm hoping from some of the Gurus here to answer the question.

I know server boots UEFI and I know it boots MBR but I've been changing boot method each time which is a bit of a pig -- servers do a lot more things when changing BIOS BOOT when starting up than bog standard PC's before they even start with the OS so I obviously want to avoid BIOS resets when booting different HDD's.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 12, 2018
  2. gupsterg Win User

Quick UEFI/Legacy question

I have had Hawaii cards and Fiji cards with UEFI roms, used 1 at a time on an Asus P5K Premium motherboard LGA 775 with Q6600 without an issue. AMD ROMs are Hybrid ROMs ie have a legacy section with UEFI module, so you won't have an issue with card which has UEFI ROM on legacy system. The legacy sytem will just ignore the UEFI module in vbios.

To make Windows show UEFI as bios mode you need your Z97 Pro Gamer in "Pure UEFI" mode (ie CSM = OFF). Windows IIRC only changes between legacy / UEFI on install, so even if you change to CSM=Off it may not show UEFI bios mode in Windows system info tool. I have not had 2 GPUs in a system at one time, even if I had them, I thought my PSU was not up to the job, so can not comment if only the primary display card requires UEFI module and it is irrelevant if secondary GPU does not.

If you get black screen/issue after setting CSM off then remove the card with legacy ROM, if mobo boots then you'll know you need to update the ROM on that card.

gupsterg, Sep 12, 2018
  3. Leonardo Caldas Soares Win User
    XFX R9 290x Not UEFI?

At my BIOS, there is this:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
    Allows you to configure the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) items to fully support the
    various VGA, bootable devices and add-on devices for better compatibility.

** Launch CSM [Enabled]

[Auto] The system automatically detects the bootable devices and the add-on devices.

[Enabled] For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI
    driver add-on devices or the Windows UEFI mode.

[Disabled] Disable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices
    or the Windows UEFI mode.

So, if I set [Disabled] I got this:

UEFI with CSM module  Question 00kHKPL.jpg

Leonardo Caldas Soares, Sep 12, 2018
  4. UnityIsPower Win User

Windows 10 UEFI/CSM booting

What information i was able to gather reading the exact post you mention:

UEFI and Secure Boot must be enabled at the factory for new machines.

A list of hardware requirements for the above machines.

What information i was able to gather from reading all the thread:

Windows 10 can be installed on a non UEFI system.

Windows 10 can be upgraded free[*] for one year.

Miscellaneous info not relevant to my question.

I'm sorry to say your link does not answer my question but I appreciate the reply.

Could you please re-read my question and try again?

UnityIsPower, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

1. UEFI with CSM module Question - Similar Threads - UEFI CSM module

2. windows modules installer

in Windows 10 Support
    windows modules installer: Hi, I have a lot of restore points piling up in my list of restore points with the title "windows modules installer." Almost one every day. I cant find anything matching in event viewer or task manager. Anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? Appreciate your help....
  3. Bad Module

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bad Module: As I've been gaming for a while this new update on windows 10 keeps bringing me to a bad module error message and kicking me out of the game. I have played over 2000 hours on Arma 3 and have had this problem twice with windows updates. I was able to fix this once before by...
  4. Disable CSM?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable CSM?: Hi. I recently disabled CSM in my bios and formatted my pc. Ive only tested kingdom come deliverance but be for I was getting 45fps to 30fps on ultra and constant judder on all graphic options. I was using in game FPS counter as I didn't want any thing like MSI after burner...
  5. BIOS - CSM setting changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BIOS - CSM setting changed: Steve C, those are the settings i have: OS: Windows 8, UEFI only (CSM set to Never does that?), Secure boot enabled. I've loaded BIOS defaults then set OS to Windows 8, CSM set to Never. Secure boot is enabled by default. I also enable virtualisation as my CPU supports it...
  6. UEFI drive question?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI drive question?: Hi All, Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me. I have 4 internal hard drives: 500Gb SSD (C Drive) 2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my old 250Gb SSD which used to have my operating system on, inside my computer for backups. I've disabled the 2 SATA drives,...
  7. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...
  8. Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions

Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions: Hi people, I have some problem with installation Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Actually I installed everything only my problem is because I could boot only if in BIOS is set option with Windows Boot Manager P1 Windows Boot Manager Samsung 850 EVO P1 Samsung...
  9. Win10 and UEFI Setup questions

Win10 and UEFI Setup questions: Just 2 quick question in regards to Windows 10 and UEFI settings. I have pretty much a good idea by now, but still have some questions here. 1. In the UEFI settings, how can I change my Internal HDD to boot first? I have Windows Boot Manager set as first boot option...
  10. Partition Question - First UEFI system

in Windows 10 Support
    Partition Question - First UEFI system: So I just completed a clean install on my new Pavilion X360 laptop. I've been building computers and working in IT for 20 years, but I've come across something I haven't dealt with before. I'm always used to using diskpart to set up my drives during the OS installs. I used...