Windows 10: UEFI with CSM module Question

Discus and support UEFI with CSM module Question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver. In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Sep 12, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

UEFI with CSM module Question

Hi there
    Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver.

In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or UEFI only --but under legacy mode I have the option to enable CSM module --- on the boot info it says this enables UEFI for Windows 7 /SP1/SP2. Now I know this is an older server and Windows 10 wasn't around then but does this mean if I leave it in Legacy mode with CSM enabled that it will boot W10 GPT Disks as well as legacy MBR stuff -- would be the most flexible.

Can't try it yet as I'm away from home today so I'm hoping from some of the Gurus here to answer the question.

I know server boots UEFI and I know it boots MBR but I've been changing boot method each time which is a bit of a pig -- servers do a lot more things when changing BIOS BOOT when starting up than bog standard PC's before they even start with the OS so I obviously want to avoid BIOS resets when booting different HDD's.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 12, 2018
  2. gupsterg Win User

Quick UEFI/Legacy question

I have had Hawaii cards and Fiji cards with UEFI roms, used 1 at a time on an Asus P5K Premium motherboard LGA 775 with Q6600 without an issue. AMD ROMs are Hybrid ROMs ie have a legacy section with UEFI module, so you won't have an issue with card which has UEFI ROM on legacy system. The legacy sytem will just ignore the UEFI module in vbios.

To make Windows show UEFI as bios mode you need your Z97 Pro Gamer in "Pure UEFI" mode (ie CSM = OFF). Windows IIRC only changes between legacy / UEFI on install, so even if you change to CSM=Off it may not show UEFI bios mode in Windows system info tool. I have not had 2 GPUs in a system at one time, even if I had them, I thought my PSU was not up to the job, so can not comment if only the primary display card requires UEFI module and it is irrelevant if secondary GPU does not.

If you get black screen/issue after setting CSM off then remove the card with legacy ROM, if mobo boots then you'll know you need to update the ROM on that card.

gupsterg, Sep 12, 2018
  3. XFX R9 290x Not UEFI?

At my BIOS, there is this:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
    Allows you to configure the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) items to fully support the
    various VGA, bootable devices and add-on devices for better compatibility.

** Launch CSM [Enabled]

[Auto] The system automatically detects the bootable devices and the add-on devices.

[Enabled] For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI
    driver add-on devices or the Windows UEFI mode.

[Disabled] Disable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices
    or the Windows UEFI mode.

So, if I set [Disabled] I got this:

UEFI with CSM module  Question 00kHKPL.jpg

Leonardo Caldas Soares, Sep 12, 2018
  4. UEFI with CSM module Question

Windows 10 UEFI/CSM booting

What information i was able to gather reading the exact post you mention:

UEFI and Secure Boot must be enabled at the factory for new machines.

A list of hardware requirements for the above machines.

What information i was able to gather from reading all the thread:

Windows 10 can be installed on a non UEFI system.

Windows 10 can be upgraded free[*] for one year.

Miscellaneous info not relevant to my question.

I'm sorry to say your link does not answer my question but I appreciate the reply.

Could you please re-read my question and try again?

UnityIsPower, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

UEFI with CSM module Question

1. UEFI with CSM module Question - Similar Threads - UEFI CSM module

2. PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy: Hello!I want to install a game that requires for me to enable secure boot, which also requires for me to switch from CSM to UEFI, but doing so will either BSOD or take me to automatic repair. The system works just fine in CSM and the disc is GPT....
  3. PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy: Hello!I want to install a game that requires for me to enable secure boot, which also requires for me to switch from CSM to UEFI, but doing so will either BSOD or take me to automatic repair. The system works just fine in CSM and the disc is GPT....
  4. No Display after CSM/UEFI option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Display after CSM/UEFI option: Hello,I built a PC using an MSI motherboard and when attempting to play Valorant was told that Vanguard was out of compliance with the current system settings. Some quick research indicated that the solution to this was to turn off CSM in the system BIOS. I entered, turned...
  5. No Display after CSM/UEFI option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Display after CSM/UEFI option: Hello,I built a PC using an MSI motherboard and when attempting to play Valorant was told that Vanguard was out of compliance with the current system settings. Some quick research indicated that the solution to this was to turn off CSM in the system BIOS. I entered, turned...
  6. UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Question: I use Windows 10, i installed windows with UEFI, i need to install an os alongside windows, will windows 10 still boot after i change it from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support UEFI First"...
  7. Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hybrid (UEFI / MBR) ISO's -- UEFI BOOT (CSM): Hi folks recently I couldn't get some newer iso's from UUPDUMP to boot using RUFUS V 10 to create bootable usb sticks when these isos are HYBRID boot (i.e they can boot either MBR or UEFI). However changing the BIOS options to enabling UEFI boot (CSM module) as well as UEFI...
  8. Stuck in UEFI loop if CSM is off

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck in UEFI loop if CSM is off: I was reading on BIOS stuff cause my PC always boots to the wrong screen and a suggestion to turn CSM off fixed that but introduced a UEFI loop (every time it closes, it opens again instead of booting the system). I turned CSM back on in order to be able to boot but does...
  9. How To Enable UEFI On P8B75-M/CSM Motherboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How To Enable UEFI On P8B75-M/CSM Motherboard: Hello, I have this motherboard: P8B75-M/CSM P8B75-M/CSM | Motherboards | ASUS USA Supposedly, it's a UEFI motherboard. Yet in the system information, it says that it's Legacy: [img] What do I need to enable in the motherboard's settings to make that say UEFI? Thanks...
  10. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...