Windows 10: UEFI with secure boot disabled

Discus and support UEFI with secure boot disabled in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. Reading on the Lenovo site: How to boot to Legacy device or system configured with Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Windows 8 (32-bit) -... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KB1240, May 3, 2017.

1. Anibor Win User

UEFI with secure boot disabled

According to my experience with several Lenovo ThinkCentre and ThinkPad computers, it´s possible to configure the boot as:

- Boot mode: UEFI only
    - Secure Boot enabled or disabled

With this configuration, the computer won´t boot from MBR disks or legacy boot media. Secure Boot can be enabled or disabled.

Also, it´s possible to configure as:

- CSM enabled (legacy mode)
    - Boot mode: Auto.

With this configuration, the computer boots from either MBR or GPT disks, and from UEFI or legacy boot media. Secure Boot is disabled.

Anibor, May 7, 2017
  2. simrick Win User

It's not an "error", it's just a setting. You can have it on or off. Lots of people don't have Secure Boot on. It's supposed to help prevent specific types of infections, but the bad guys have already overcome it. Having it off can have its advantages; i.e. you'll be able to boot the system to other media (in the event you ever need to do this), or dual-boot a non-UEFI OS.

So, based on this, you'd select
    UEFI/Legacy Boot = UEFI Only
    and that should turn off CSM and provide Secure Boot?

UEFI with secure boot disabled [​IMG]

Based on what the Lenovo website said, the system should have been set that way to begin with. That's why I thought setting the BIOS back to Default settings would do it, and asked what had been done to the system to change this.

simrick, May 7, 2017
  3. simrick Win User
    simrick, May 7, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

@KB1240: The original OS offered on your Lenovo desktop was Windows 7; therefore, you may not even have a secure boot option in you BIOS to enable or disable. However, if it is there, it would be readily identifiable in the the Security settings (as an enable/disable toggle). Now, I looked to see if there were any BIOS updates available for your desktop, and if I found your correct model, a new update was released on 12/29/2016:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/pr...5ish/downloads

However, I have no idea if that BIOS update contains any updates to add/show a Secure Boot Option because the readme is just instructional (no change log).

In summary, if you can't find it anywhere in the BIOS, you don't have that option.

Good luck,

Updated to include a BIOS screenshot:

UEFI with secure boot disabled [​IMG]

5. simrick Win User
    If the original OS was W7, Secure Boot may not be an option if the system was "upgraded" to W10 (and why I asked in Post #8). But OP says it's 1 year old and came with W10 installed (Post #10), so I still don't understand then, why the system would not have shipped with UEFI+Secure Boot enabled, as they are instructed to do so by MS? Something is not right here: either the system was upgraded from W7, or the settings have been changed at one point, or Belarc is mis-reading the information.

simrick, May 7, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    You logic is sound (as always). The only thing I can say is the BIOS should have the option to enable or disable secure boot (as shown in my screenshot). At this point I think the OP needs to contact Lenovo support and ask them directly. As you are aware, laptop manufacturers are well known for limiting what options are available in the BIOS for user configuration. Who knows, maybe the latest BIOS update might unhide that option?

7. A year ago we were on version 1511, upgrading to version 1607 may have caused this issue and you wouldn't be the first.

Reset BIOS to factory setting won't hurt if you get <<false>> reading in powershell. You even have the solution in post # 14. Thanks to @Anibor.

All the best,

MikeMecanic, May 7, 2017
  8. simrick Win User

That is quite possible! *Wink

simrick, May 7, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    I have never heard of that.

simrick, May 7, 2017
  10. Wynona Win User
    Wynona, May 7, 2017
  11. KB1240 Win User
    I really hope this is not the end of the forum response or have i missed something?

KB1240, May 7, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    Perhaps you have.

I believe your answer is to turn CSM off (which is legacy support).
    Just remember, if you have installed W10 in Legacy, your system won't boot after making that change.

simrick, May 7, 2017
  13. UEFI with secure boot disabled

Good work KB!

It makes sense that the CSM parameter was causing this issue or disabling Secure Boot.

Take care,

MikeMecanic, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. UEFI with secure boot disabled - Similar Threads - UEFI secure boot

2. UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled: Windows 10 crashed - can only access Phoenic SecurCore Tiano Bios.I need to boot from my USB drive.I understand I need to have the UEFI Secure Boot enabled - mine is greyed out - cannot be selected.I was told to set Supervisor Password - so this is in Security - did that -...
  3. UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled: Windows 10 crashed - can only access Phoenic SecurCore Tiano Bios.I need to boot from my USB drive.I understand I need to have the UEFI Secure Boot enabled - mine is greyed out - cannot be selected.I was told to set Supervisor Password - so this is in Security - did that -...
  4. UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UEFI Secure boot

UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  6. My Secure Boot is Unsupported even when Legacy Boot is disable and the boot is UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Secure Boot is Unsupported even when Legacy Boot is disable and the boot is UEFI: Hi, im having a proplem about Secure Boot, six days ago the secure boot state said it is ON, then, today when i'm trying to install windows 11 Only for insider this happen.yes, my BIOS Mode is UEFI not legacy, legacy boot not turn on.And if you have a link to upgrade my BIOS,...
  7. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  8. Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi

Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi: I'm having trouble installing windows 10 on my new built. after asking a microsoft employee they told me to disable the secure boot. but for some reason there is no option for that, its either - Other OS - Windows UEFI mode what do i do? My mobo is a Asus Prime...
  9. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  10. Boot mode uefi with secure boot disable

Boot mode uefi with secure boot disable: Ok im about to upgrade to win 10 then do a clean install afterwards of win 10, but i wanted to assure i have everything correct before i start. I updated again my profile with Belarc to assure i have a completed list of my software, i notice this Boot mode uefi with secure...