Windows 10: UEFI with secure boot disabled

Discus and support UEFI with secure boot disabled in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I ran a Belarc analysis and it showed a notification that the " UEFI with secure boot is disabled ".Is this a default setting or does it need to be... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KB1240, May 3, 2017.

1. KB1240 Win User

UEFI with secure boot disabled

I ran a Belarc analysis and it showed a notification that the " UEFI with secure boot is disabled ".Is this a default setting or does it need to be enabled?I looked at the boot settings but was unable to figure out how to resolve this issue.I am not one who likes to guess at these things.I hope someone has a good idea about this.I will appreciate it very much.

:)

KB1240, May 3, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 3, 2017
  3. rwb1012 Win User
    rwb1012, May 3, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

It is not essential to enable it but you increase risk of malware hijacking pc. Windows 7 cannot be installed in uefi mode if enabled if secure boot is on.

However, good idea to turn it on.

cereberus, May 3, 2017
  5. KB1240 Win User
    I appreciate the reply but i am confused by the bios settings and not sure how to enable it.

KB1240, May 3, 2017
  6. KB1240 Win User
    Will someone please tell me the details of how to enable the UEFI secure boot?I will appreciate it very much.

KB1240, May 4, 2017
  7. torre Win User
    torre, May 4, 2017
  8. UEFI with secure boot disabled

Go there:

Settings/Updates & Security/Recovery/Advanced Startup/Restart/Troubleshoot/Advanced Options/UEFI Firmware Settings/Not the same for all machines (hardware vendor).

That will bring you to BIOS settings, for HP it is pretty easy in the Security Boot Configuration menu.

Legacy Support: Disable
    Secure Boot: Enable
    Key management: Don't Clear (set to Clear if disable/false)
    Key Ownership: HP Keys
    Fast Boot: Enable

Apply changes and exit. To confirm, open Powershell in admin mode and run:

Code: Confirm-SecureBootUEFI[/quote] False = disable
    True = enable
    or not supported or ressource not available.

Code: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\Windows\system32> Confirm-SecureBootUEFI True PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

MikeMecanic, May 6, 2017
  9. KB1240 Win User
    Many thanks Mike for your reply.I am using Windows 10 Home/64 bit on a year old Lenovo 90ED desktop pc.Do you think the settings will be pretty much the same?Thanks again!!!

KB1240, May 6, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Reading on the Lenovo site:
    How to boot to Legacy device or system configured with Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit) or Windows 8 (32-bit) - ThinkPad, ThinkCentre, ThinkStation, IdeaCentre
    So my question would be, what have you done to the system, that has disabled Secure Boot?

EDIT: Perhaps you could just go into the BIOS and set it to defaults. But if you have installed a Legacy (MBR) version of W10, or upgraded a version of W7 to W10, you will not be able to boot the OS with Secure Boot turned on.

simrick, May 6, 2017
  11. No, it won't!

You must find the parameter(s) combination that enables secure boot. You may want to try disabling legacy mode or BIOS mode in the boot menu first.

The given parameters in post # 6 are an indication, but Fast Boot can be set to Disable and it would also work (true). You must find the way KB If you keep on getting false in Powershell (Secure Boot is available and you may try reset to default). The owner manual of your laptop may also be helpful...

Edit: In system information under system summary, SMBIOS Version is 2.8.

MikeMecanic, May 6, 2017
  12. KB1240 Win User
    I am using Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 14393.1066(RS1) which came on the computer about a year ago when it was new.I have not done anything to the system except look at the bios one time to my knowledge.I discovered this error a few days ago when i ran a Belarc analysis.I am getting a little confused by all this and since the computer seems to work ok i wonder how important this error is?I really would like to fix it if i can without causing worse problems.

KB1240, May 6, 2017
  13. shmu26 Win User

This whole thing of secure boot is not part of your operating system. It is part of your motherboard, which hosts the BIOS.
    Google for "secure boot" and the details of your particular motherboard model, and then you will get the specific instructions you need. Unfortunately, the BIOS is a little different with every motherboard, and it can be confusing if you don't have the right instructions.

shmu26, May 6, 2017
  14. shmu26 Win User
    I forgot to mention that if your computer is pretty old, then it might not even have secure boot at all.
    The older models of motherboards have only the old-style BIOS, they don't have the UFI firmware.
    In any case, don't sweat it, it is not a big deal either way.

shmu26, May 6, 2017
  15. Not supported:

Code: PS C:\Windows\system32> Confirm-SecureBootUEFI Confirm-SecureBootUEFI : Variable is currently undefined: 0xC0000100 At line:1 char:1 + Confirm-SecureBootUEFI + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (Microsoft.Secur...BootUefiCommand:ConfirmSecureBootUefiCommand) [C onfirm-SecureBootUEFI], StatusException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetFWVarFailed,Microsoft.SecureBoot.Commands.ConfirmSecureBootUefiCommand PS C:\Windows\system32>[/quote]

MikeMecanic, May 7, 2017
Thema:

1. UEFI with secure boot disabled - Similar Threads - UEFI secure boot

2. UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled: Windows 10 crashed - can only access Phoenic SecurCore Tiano Bios.I need to boot from my USB drive.I understand I need to have the UEFI Secure Boot enabled - mine is greyed out - cannot be selected.I was told to set Supervisor Password - so this is in Security - did that -...
  3. UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled: Windows 10 crashed - can only access Phoenic SecurCore Tiano Bios.I need to boot from my USB drive.I understand I need to have the UEFI Secure Boot enabled - mine is greyed out - cannot be selected.I was told to set Supervisor Password - so this is in Security - did that -...
  4. UEFI Secure Boot - Greyed out - Disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. UEFI Secure boot

UEFI Secure boot: hi guys...pls help meif i need windows 11 then it tells me to enable secure boot....but if i go to my BIOS and enable my secure boot it should show my desktop....but it is showing something to setup........
  6. My Secure Boot is Unsupported even when Legacy Boot is disable and the boot is UEFI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Secure Boot is Unsupported even when Legacy Boot is disable and the boot is UEFI: Hi, im having a proplem about Secure Boot, six days ago the secure boot state said it is ON, then, today when i'm trying to install windows 11 Only for insider this happen.yes, my BIOS Mode is UEFI not legacy, legacy boot not turn on.And if you have a link to upgrade my BIOS,...
  7. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  8. Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi

Can't disable secure boot in bios/uefi: I'm having trouble installing windows 10 on my new built. after asking a microsoft employee they told me to disable the secure boot. but for some reason there is no option for that, its either - Other OS - Windows UEFI mode what do i do? My mobo is a Asus Prime...
  9. UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with Secure Boot (UEFI version) ?: I want to enable UEFI with Secure Boot and I do have an option to enable Secure Boot. But how can I tell if I am running UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c ? Because to enable Secure Boot, machines must have UEFI firmware version 2.3.1.c I went to System Information, but It...
  10. Boot mode uefi with secure boot disable

Boot mode uefi with secure boot disable: Ok im about to upgrade to win 10 then do a clean install afterwards of win 10, but i wanted to assure i have everything correct before i start. I updated again my profile with Belarc to assure i have a completed list of my software, i notice this Boot mode uefi with secure...