Windows 10: Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

Discus and support Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help. I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD. What I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RoboEmperor, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

Hi I need help. I spent an entire day trying to figure this out only to fail so I need help.
    I want to upgrade my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD.
    What I have: Partitions in order
    1TB MBR HDD: System Reserved 500MB, (CUgrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD :) 930GB, Recovery Partition 482MB
    4TB GPT SSD: Unformatted Primary 16MB, System Reserved 500MB, Recovery Partition 482MB, (EUgrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD :) 3725.05 GB

So what I tried to do was use Macrium Reflect to clone my 3 partitions over to my SSD (in a different order so I can extend volume) and it worked.

Now I restart my computer, enter BIOS, change my boot mode to UEFI, save and restart again, only for the computer to go in automatic repair mode or something. When i tried to enter BIOS again, the Boot Order was just
    1. Windows Boot Manager
    2 & 3. Some kind of weird thing, disabled, not my SSD or HDD.

So I change my boot mode back to legacy and here I am. I obviously missed a step and did something wrong, so please help.

I don't want to reinstall windows. I just want to move everything (including OS) to my ssd, and that's it.

:)

RoboEmperor, Feb 16, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

New PC, 500gb SSD and 4tb HDD, need to install GPT partitions? and how

Hi luukebaas

Disconnect that 4TB HDD before you install Windows 10, there is a known bug in the Windows 10 installation routine that will cause the boot sector to be written to the HDD instead of the SSD

The once Windows 10 is installed, reconnect the HDD and you can then convert that to GPT

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

list disk

(Make note of the disk number you want to convert and enter it into the next command - replace disknumber)

select disk disknumber

clean

convert gpt

Then close Command Prompt

DaveM121, Feb 16, 2021
  3. SSD, windows 10, and MBR

So recently i built a new computer and have an SSD with a win 10 install on it, as well as 3 other HDDs one with 4tb (Unallocated), another 4tb that is already partitioned with gPT, and one with 1 tb. However the same thing always happens, even if that 4tb
    is completely unallocated, during the install process, Windows 10 will write "System" on the 4tb one instead of the SSD. And bc of that it partitions the 4tb drive no matter what i do, unallocated or not will be MBR, I have tried to uninstall windows and reinstall
    5 times now. I have tried everything short of taking the 4tb HDD out, installing windows on the SSD and putting it back in, which i will try if no one can help me, I want the 4tb to partitioned with GPT so i can use its full space. Heres what i have tried-
    using bios setting i switched to straight UEFI instead of CSM and tried that, but while it would let me format and partition the drive correctly, it wouldn't let me install windows onto the SSD- saying it couldnt bc it was GPT- WHICH IT WAS NOT. I have tried
    using diskpart to fix it- its just temporary, and bc there is no windows install on the 4tb drive, using MBR2GPT just doesnt work. Im pulling my hair out here, any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

DariyanSkie, Feb 16, 2021
  4. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

Windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd on GPT partition with UEFI mode system.

Original Title: windows 10 installation on 4tb hdd

Hello,

I have a new Seagate 4tb hdd and gigabyte H110M motherboard (UEFI) in a desktop computer. When I install windows 10 x64 it only shows up as 2tb. I have converted the hdd to gpt partitioning (as apparently this is what I need to do to show whole hdd) but
    when I install win 10 it converts it back to mbr and still only shows it as 2tb. What do I need to do so windows installs in gpt format?

Thanks

Troy

TroySullivan, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD

1. Ugrading my 1TB MBR HDD to a 4TB GPT SSD - Similar Threads - Ugrading 1TB MBR

2. can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can i clone windows from MBR HDD to GPT SSD?: I want to clone my windows from my MBR HDD to my GPT SSD, is that possible?And if i can, do i need to change Bios Mode from CSM to UEFI or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-clone-windows-from-mbr-hdd-to-gpt-ssd/a8ab0e28-6345-409e-943d-6ad5d6ca2d41
  3. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  4. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD: I have a PC that I built to double as my wife's work computer and a file/media server for the house. Her work is mainly web based so it's not very resource intensive. She said its been bogging down lately so I logged in to see what I could find. The giant red flag for me that...
  5. 1TB SSD won't back up to nearly empty 4TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. 2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2TB HDD format to MBR or GPT??: I just got a new 2TB HHD and i want to know which partition style i need to use MBR or GPT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2tb-hdd-format-to-mbr-or-gpt/672f2d14-e381-4682-9f1b-9b89f016c52f
  7. Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB

Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB: Hello fellow tenforums users, I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a 4TB HDD that I want to install in place of my current disk and I am not sure how to make an exact clone of my C drive. I have an external usb 3.0 docking station for sata drives and was going to just use...
  8. SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?

SSD is in GPT, HDD is in MBR format. Is that OK?: Hello, Recently I've purchased a Kingston 240GB SSD. I initialized the SSD in GPT, and installed Windows 10. But, when I looked my 2TB HDD partitions, they are in MBR format. Will there have any stability issues when the SSD is in GPT and HDD in MBR? Do I need to change my...
  9. Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows update 1803 formats secondary 4TB HDD from GPT to MBR: New to the group and boy do I have a good one! The other day when I booted up my desktop PC, I noticed a majority of my desktop icons had lost there images alerting me that something had went direly wrong. I opened My PC to inspect my HDD contents and I was shocked by what I...
  10. I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have a new 4TB external HDD and a non-UEFI BIOS. MBR or GPT?: I plugged my new, empty Western Digital 4TB external drive into my old PC, and it is a MBR HDD. The PC is too old to have UEFI. I want the drive to be as reliable as possible and to work on my new (UEFI) PC as well. Should I convert it to GPT now? Both PCs are on Windows...