Windows 10: UHHH so appereantly my C:\ drive ssd is now a regular N:\ drive hdd according to windows...

Discus and support UHHH so appereantly my C:\ drive ssd is now a regular N:\ drive hdd according to windows... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/1_boi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kwoeuu/uhhh_so_appereantly_my_c_drive_ssd_is_now_a/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/1_boi, Jan 13, 2021.

1. /u/1_boi Win User

UHHH so appereantly my C:\ drive ssd is now a regular N:\ drive hdd according to windows...

/u/1_boi, Jan 13, 2021

2. SSD Drive as Boot Drive and HDD Drive as Storage, how do I do it?

Remove the HDD. Install Windows on SSD. Then insert the HDD. Now SSD should be your boot drive with HDD as a storage drive.

If Windows doesn't boot,

1) Check Boot priority in BIOS and set your SSD on top of the list.

2) If still doesn't work, then create a 200MB Fat32 partition on the HDD(call it whatever you want) then boot into the windows 10 installer via a usb, launch command prompt with SHIFT + F10 and run the following:

bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-en /s B: /f UEFI

where B: is the drive letter for the 200MB partition (it could be any other drive letter for you).

Note: the drive letter with windows could be different, so either poke around command prompt to find out or launch DISKPART and run show volumes to find the partition.

The only downside to this solution is that if the HDD fails you lose boot capabilities. To get around this you could create a ISO of the 200mb boot drive and upload it for safe keeping and burn it to a usb flash disk in case of emergencies.

Source: ENVY 15t-j000 mSATA SSD + HDD fresh install, with mSATA as boot
    drive

Harsimran17, Jan 13, 2021
  3. little cat, Jan 13, 2021
  4. UHHH so appereantly my C:\ drive ssd is now a regular N:\ drive hdd according to windows...

Installing Windows on my new C drive

Current Situation: My C Disk is cramming up and I decided to change a new C disk.

Currently my computer storage is composed of an SSD (being my C disk) and an HDD. I bought a new SSD and desire to somehow transfer my current system into the new SSD along with the current environmental variables, user data, both program files folder, and
    various other folders instead of installing a brand new system on my new C drive.

Questions I am currently wondering:

1. I noticed the function provided by windows called "Create a system image". Currently my softwares are distributed evenly in my C drive (SSD) and D drive (HDD). I am not changing my HDD, so softwares installed there will not be removed. If I only choose
      to backup my system in my C drive, can I still run my softwares on my HDD after changing a C drive and reinstalling Windows using the generated ISO file?
    2. Does this function "create a system image" pack up the environmental variables, registry, along with all other folders in my C drive, or only the minimal system?
    3. If I extract the system image ISO into my new C drive, can I somehow "extract" from the ISO file to create a new system in my new drive? If not, is it possible to make my new C drive a windows Boot USB, and directly installing the windows system onto itself?
    4. What is your suggested method of making this move?

Thank you for your help!!

Power_tile, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

UHHH so appereantly my C:\ drive ssd is now a regular N:\ drive hdd according to windows...

1. UHHH so appereantly my C:\ drive ssd is now a regular N:\ drive hdd according to windows... - Similar Threads - UHHH appereantly drive

2. So uhhh, yea.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    So uhhh, yea.: In the process of upgrading motherboard, video card and power supply. I had an issue with my motherboard and I had to return it. Idiot me uninstalled everything from the device but my M.2 ssd drive. This drive had my boot media on it. So my question is… downloading the boot...
  3. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  4. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  5. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  6. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?: I have a Windows 10 desktop. My problem is that the C drive is a small SSD, 120G. I have tried to install programs to D drive whenever possible, but C is still full. I want to move my C drive SSD and merge with the existing D drive HDD. What is a good way to do this, without...
  7. how to move C drive from SSD to HDD?

8. Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows on D: drive (internal SSD), programs on C: drive (internal HDD) - is that normal?: To make things a bit more interesting, I also installed a new version of Windows 10 Pro on the C: drive because I didn't think things through first (sigh). So, in a nutshell I've got a desktop that boots from the SSD, which has a minimum Windows 10 Pro installation on it,...
  9. Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving files from c: drive (SSD) to e: drive (hdd): [ATTACH] So i have an ssd with 447gb and a hdd with 595gb as shown below: https://preview.redd.it/z58f5igsmgs51.png?width=895&format=png&auto=webp&s=d648dbd5c143f4dd5909c761054dadddde1397e7 I want to move some files into hdd to have more space. But I've heard that it...
  10. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...