Windows 10: UIRibbon.dll crash in my Windows app

Discus and support UIRibbon.dll crash in my Windows app in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am developing a C# Windows Forms app that is using the UIRibbon dll through the Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon package. I have been trying to track... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Robert Weatherford, Jan 20, 2020.

1. UIRibbon.dll crash in my Windows app

I am developing a C# Windows Forms app that is using the UIRibbon dll through the Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon package. I have been trying to track this seemingly random crash for months now, and I finally have a reproduceable way to make it happen. It seems to be happening deep inside UIRibbon.dll. The dll code is crashing on an == operator. The pointer reference ecx is not null, so it’s probably a “real” access violation. Without the source code for the dll, all I can see are symbols and x86 registers.

Before I started using UIRibbon through the Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon, I was using a different WinForms ribbon library that was all managed. I didn’t like the library after spending countless days fiddling with their code to fix bugs, so I decided to migrate to something else. I should say that aside from these rare crashes, the ribbon is behaving just as it should in the app. The app is incredibly stable otherwise. It seems extremely unlikely that my app is somehow corrupting memory and always managing to hit UIRIbbon and nothing else. That was actually my first thought months ago when this first started. At this point, I am finding it difficult to believe it has something to do with the Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon package, as it’s a very lightweight wrapper around the DLL. I am open to evidence to the contrary. The code is built on the Windows Ribbon for WinForms by Arik Poznanski project from several years ago.

Here’s how I can reproduce the problem 2 out of 3 times: Switch ribbon tabs and click a button which runs a blocking long-running command 2-3 seconds. While that is running, click on the original ribbon tab. When the command completes, both tabs are highlighted and the access violation occurs. I suspect blocking the UI thread is a necessary part of reproducing the bug, but that's just a hunch.

Here is the stack traces of the error:

Application: xxx.exeFramework Version: v4.0.30319Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 7BBBF088Stack: at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageWMSG ByRef at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoopIntPtr, Int32, Int32 at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInnerInt32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInt32, System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunSystem.Windows.Forms.Form at Parastream.BMS.WinForms.Program.MainException thrown at 0x7BBBF088 UIRibbon.dll in xxx.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x12EDE44C. occurred UIRibbon.dll!operator==struct _tagpropertykey const &,struct _tagpropertykey const & Unknown UIRibbon.dll!CControlUser::GetKnownResourceTypestruct _tagpropertykey const *,enum tagEResourceType * Unknown UIRibbon.dll!CControlUser::CacheInvalidateUICommandenum UI_INVALIDATIONS,struct _tagpropertykey const * Unknown UIRibbon.dll!COfficeSpaceUser::InvalidateUICommandInternalunsigned int,enum UI_INVALIDATIONS,struct _tagpropertykey const *,enum INVALIDATIONEXCLUSION Unknown UIRibbon.dll!COfficeSpaceUser::OnUpdatevoid Unknown UIRibbon.dll!COfficeSpaceUser::FrameListenerWndProcstruct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long,long * Unknown UIRibbon.dll!COfficeSpaceUser::s_FrameListenerWndProcvoid *,struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long,long * Unknown> UIRibbon.dll!WndBridge::RawWndProcstruct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long Unknown atlthunk.dll!64821836 Unknown atlthunk.dll![Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for atlthunk.dll] Unknown [External Code] xxx.exe!xxx.Program.Main Line 25 C# [External Code]

Please note that this bug has been looked at by the Visual Studio development team, which was ultimately forwarded to John Qiao, who directed me here:

John Qiao [MSFT]6 hours ago

Hi Robertw,

Thanks for your feedback!

Where did you download this Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon package? If you downloaded it fromhttps://github.com/SunburstApps/Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon, we suggest you post this issue in here:https://github.com/SunburstApps/Sunburst.WindowsForms.Ribbon/issues for the better response.

If this issue is related to Windows, please post it athttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum for the better response.

:)

Robert Weatherford, Jan 20, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jan 20, 2020
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Jan 20, 2020
  4. UIRibbon.dll crash in my Windows app

DLL Missing

The problem is, that the required DLL is not actually even listed there.
    There are just dozens of download adware links from the top to the bottom.

TairikuOkami, Jan 20, 2020
Thema:

UIRibbon.dll crash in my Windows app

1. UIRibbon.dll crash in my Windows app - Similar Threads - UIRibbon dll crash

2. d3d9.dll crashing app on Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    d3d9.dll crashing app on Win 7: Hello,I've been having problems regarding this .dll for a long time, and I haven't been able to find any solution whatsoever anywhere in the internet. I managed to create a .dmp file regarding it, though I've never used WinDbg so I have no idea if it is valid or not.I have a...
  3. d3d9.dll crashing app on Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    d3d9.dll crashing app on Win 7: Hello,I've been having problems regarding this .dll for a long time, and I haven't been able to find any solution whatsoever anywhere in the internet. I managed to create a .dmp file regarding it, though I've never used WinDbg so I have no idea if it is valid or not.I have a...
  4. Tier0.dll Crashes my game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tier0.dll Crashes my game: Hello there my name is Constadinos.I had a ryzen 7 3700x and upgraded to a 5800x3d and I run windows 11.The issue is that my game,Counter Strike GO is crashing due to a file named tier0.dll.The game crashes mid game while i am playing or when it is about to change map.I have...
  5. Tier0.dll Crashes my game

Tier0.dll Crashes my game: Hello there my name is Constadinos.I had a ryzen 7 3700x and upgraded to a 5800x3d and I run windows 11.The issue is that my game,Counter Strike GO is crashing due to a file named tier0.dll.The game crashes mid game while i am playing or when it is about to change map.I have...
  6. game crash into d3d9on12.dll

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game crash into d3d9on12.dll: OSwin10 or win11Video cardi5-12600K or i5-13600K core graphicscrash stackYou can download the game from:https://www.aliyundrive.com/s/CAyUekS2xmmax30 run v.bat to play videothen wait for the crashI'm a game developer, I look forward to hearing from you. thanks...
  7. game crash into d3d9on12.dll

game crash into d3d9on12.dll: OSwin10 or win11Video cardi5-12600K or i5-13600K core graphicscrash stackYou can download the game from:https://www.aliyundrive.com/s/CAyUekS2xmmax30 run v.bat to play videothen wait for the crashI'm a game developer, I look forward to hearing from you. thanks...
  8. MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.9672, crashes my application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.9672, crashes my application: Hi support,Iam developing an app in C# and iam facing a problem trying to excecute an sql procedure based on Iseries DB2 server.Iam getting the above error. For your info till now i have not faced any problem running procedure from DB2. Do you have any suggestion ???Faulting...
  9. app crashes due to a dll file on the system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    app crashes due to a dll file on the system: so im trying to play a game, right?, then in one exact part of the game it just crashes without advice or any type of warning or missing path, i go to event viewer, and see that it says that the faulting path is...
  10. app crashes due to a dll file on the system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    app crashes due to a dll file on the system: so im trying to play a game, right?, then in one exact part of the game it just crashes without advice or any type of warning or missing path, i go to event viewer, and see that it says that the faulting path is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. UIRibbon.dll crash