Windows 10: UI's text rendering on Windows 10

Discus and support UI's text rendering on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, The following is a screenshot of the pop up menu when you right click on the desktop. In particular is the top part of it. I took it using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by John Towerman, Feb 8, 2018.

1. UI's text rendering on Windows 10

Hi All,

The following is a screenshot of the pop up menu when you right click on the desktop.
    In particular is the top part of it. I took it using the Windows 10's magnifier utility.

UI's text rendering on Windows 10 [​IMG]

As you can see the text doesn't seem to be rendered correctly. That applies also to all UI's components of Windows 10 and everything else. As I am a developer, I stay many hours in front of this monitor and usually that hurts my eyes (without considering the high contrast theme, another additional pain).

What I'd like to understand is if that is a normal Windows rendering behavior or is a bad setting somewhere.

Thanks a lot

Details:
    Windows 10 fully updated.
    NVIDIA video card driver fully updated.
    Adjust ClearType Text option checked (Control Panel -> Fonts)
    "Smooth edges of screen fonts" option checked (Windows 10 Performance Options panel)
    NVIDIA Control Panel Antialiasing options is on.

:)

John Towerman, Feb 8, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Java based application not scaling properly

The developers of the software (Powerschool Group LLC) have not allowed for this Windows 10 UI Scaling, you should get the college to contact the developers and get them to provide a patch to fix this issue . . .

As can be seen from your screenshot, some of the UI components on the Window are scaling and some are not.

This is not a Windows error, it is the responsibility of the developers of the software to ensure their software renders correctly regardless of the screen size or UI scaling . . .

DaveM121, Feb 8, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    windows 10 font

Do you mean the font Windows 10 on its UI and did you change the Windows UI font in your registry?

To undo any changes and restore the default Windows 10 system font to Segue UI:

• Make sure you can see file Extensions - In Windows File Explorer, on the View Ribbon, check the box marked 'File Name Extensions' and close Windows File Explorer
    • Right click your Desktop and choose 'New' - Text Document
    • Copy the text below into that text file
    • Save the file as Restore Font.reg (you must replace the default .txt file extension to .reg)
    • Right click the file and choose 'Merge', then confirm the merge
    • Reboot your system and the Windows 10 default Font will be set to its default

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

"Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"

"Segoe UI Black (TrueType)"="seguibl.ttf"

"Segoe UI Black Italic (TrueType)"="seguibli.ttf"

"Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="segoeuib.ttf"

"Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuiz.ttf"

"Segoe UI Emoji (TrueType)"="seguiemj.ttf"

"Segoe UI Historic (TrueType)"="seguihis.ttf"

"Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuii.ttf"

"Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"="segoeuil.ttf"

"Segoe UI Light Italic (TrueType)"="seguili.ttf"

"Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"="seguisb.ttf"

"Segoe UI Semibold Italic (TrueType)"="seguisbi.ttf"

"Segoe UI Semilight (TrueType)"="segoeuisl.ttf"

"Segoe UI Semilight Italic (TrueType)"="seguisli.ttf"

"Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"="seguisym.ttf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]

"Segoe UI"=-

DaveM121, Feb 8, 2018
  4. Steve C Win User

UI's text rendering on Windows 10

Try the Cleartype utility. If that doesn't work, check you have the latest graphics driver and try different screen scaling. Also check the screen resolution is set to the native resolution for your monitor.

Steve C, Feb 9, 2018
  5. Hi Steve C,

Thanks for the answer.

What is the Cleartype utility? Where is it? Is that from Microsoft?

Under Control Panel -> Fonts -> Adjust Cleartype text I checked and unchecked that option and went through that wizard. There is no or little difference. No apparent improvement.

As I wrote at the end of my post, the graphics driver is fully updated.

I changed it, in particular I increased it, but I'm not comfortable with it. It is fine as it is, 100%.

Obviously it is set to 100%.

Any other idea?

Thanks

John Towerman, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Steve C Win User
    Resolution should be a number setting e.g. 1920x1080, not a percentage. You have checked the correct Cleartype settings.

Steve C, Feb 9, 2018
  7. Right, it is 2560 x 1440 (native).

Thanks

John Towerman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

UI's text rendering on Windows 10

1. UI's text rendering on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - UI's text rendering

2. Poor Text Rendering on System Pages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor Text Rendering on System Pages: I just switched from a 2160p monitor to a 1440p. I know text won't look as good, but its acceptable everywhere except on any systems page - all the settings pages, right click context menu pages, etc. See below. Above the red line is what it looks like - some letters are...
  3. Poor Text Rendering on System Pages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Poor Text Rendering on System Pages: I just switched from a 2160p monitor to a 1440p. I know text won't look as good, but its acceptable everywhere except on any systems page - all the settings pages, right click context menu pages, etc. See below. Above the red line is what it looks like - some letters are...
  4. MacType to enhance text rendering

in Windows 10 Customization
    MacType to enhance text rendering: Hello. Sorry for annoying you, but I have some questions to have MacType:1. Does it affect the ClearType and system's functionality?2. Does it tweak DLLs about text rendering?I need your answer because I'm almost installing and I'm stuck due to the questions mentioned...
  5. Text rendering badly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Text rendering badly: My text is rendering badly on my 1080p display, black text looks to be a mix of black, red, and blue, and pixelated which is highly unpleasant to look at. I've gone through multiple steps to try and remove this including configuring clear type, disabling font smoothing in the...
  6. Programs with blurry text and UI elements

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Programs with blurry text and UI elements: When I launch any program in Windows, the text is alright. After some time or in case of Adobe Programs immediately start to have blurry text, and some user interface elements, such as buttons or in general, anything rounded. When the blurriness starts to occur, the...
  7. Edgium text rendering bug?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edgium text rendering bug?: [ATTACH] I'm on Edge Canary version 81.0.410.0. As you can see with the selected text, text occasionally renders strangely. I don't believe this is a problem with my graphics driver since this doesn't appear to happen on other browsers or programs. Selecting the text...
  8. Font rendering issue in certain UI areas

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Font rendering issue in certain UI areas: There is a problem with some, not all, of my desktop applications on Windows 10. The font in certain parts of the program (view links to photos below) appear pixelated and out-of-scale, and I have no idea what is causing this issue. This is not an issue with ClearType nor...
  9. Chinese Text render behaviour problem in Windows 7 vs Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chinese Text render behaviour problem in Windows 7 vs Windows 10: We have .Net 4.5 based WPF application. It works correctly on Windows 7. When we moved it to Windows 10 it started malfunctioning. On investigation we found that when we type a set of 2 character typing will make one Chinese character. In windows 7 when we press first...
  10. Edge blurry text rendering

in Windows 10 Support
    Edge blurry text rendering: What's with some of the blurriness with text on some sites. For example, the main navigation of apple.com is all fuzzy. Doesn't happen in Chrome or Firefox. [img] 11668