Windows 10: Uknown Startup entry

Discus and support Uknown Startup entry in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I'm troubled with the following entry in the startup of my Windows 10 Pro x64: Windows Registry Editor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ddelo, Dec 26, 2015.

1. ddelo Win User

Uknown Startup entry

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

I'm troubled with the following entry in the startup of my Windows 10 Pro x64:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]
    "Uninstall %LocalAppData%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\17.3.5892.0626\\amd64"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe /q /c rmdir /s /q "%LocalAppData%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\17.3.5892.0626\\amd64""

Can someone tell me what it is and if I can remove it safely.

It should be noted that the "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive\17.3.5892.0626" folder does not exist.

Thanks. Dimitri

:)

ddelo, Dec 26, 2015
  2. lacrumb Win User

Uknown disk...

To properly get answers to your post you should include this minimum information.

1. Device type. ie PC, Laptop, Tablet, Surface.

2. OS type, Home, Pro, etc

3. Current build. Go Settings, System. About. XXXXXX.XXX

4. Where is this happening on the computer, Boot, Screen, App, etc

lacrumb, Dec 26, 2015
  3. need to enable uknown sourses on my smartab 2-in-one tablet/notebook mod#stw1050 to download ustv

need to enable uknown sourses on my smartab 2-in-1 tablet/notebook mod# stw1050

patriciareed1, Dec 26, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Uknown Startup entry

That is a system file for OneDrive. I would leave it.

5. ddelo Win User
    Leave what...? The folder does not exist!
    My question is can I delete it from startup, since the folder does not exist. Apparently the folder was removed but the startup entry stayed.

ddelo, Dec 26, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Reboot, and it will clear some appdata and probably disappear. Do you use Onedrive?

7. ddelo Win User
    I have rebooted twice, before posting the question, but nothing happened. The entry is still there.
    As for OneDrive I don't use it, and I have disabled it from automatic startup when Windows start.

ddelo, Dec 26, 2015
  8. ddelo Win User

Uknown Startup entry

Thanks a lot. I'll do it from the Registry.

ddelo, Dec 26, 2015
  9. Dude Win User
    Okay, I did it first since I had that entry too and rebooted. Suffered no ill effect so I said that

10. ddelo Win User
    I also deleted if from the Registry and rebooted. And haven't seen anything bad....yet.
    Thanx again!

ddelo, Dec 26, 2015
  11. sml156 Win User
    You probably won't notice anything until that folder is created again. If you don't know what something is you should leave it alone.

cmd.exe /q /c rmdir
    Is a dos command to delete a directory
    /q means quiet /c means C: drive
    in your case the path is
    LocalAppData%\\Microsoft\\OneDrive\\17.3.5892.0626\\amd64
    for whatever reason OneDrive does not want it there when the computer boots

somewhere down the road you may have some unsolvable problem because you didn't backup the reg key

sml156, Dec 27, 2015
  12. ddelo Win User
    Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Because Onedrive doesn't want it there, it deletes the folder at boot, but ONCE... That's why is under the Run Once key. If it was to be recreated by Onedrive it would have been under the 'Run' key, since the app does not want it.

My understanding is that after an upgrade of Onedrive, the installation process created the Registry entry for cleanup reasons. In the following boot it deleted the folder, but for uknown reasons kept the entry. Error? Maybe!

Either way, I exported and kept the Registry entry, just for precaution, before deleting it!

ddelo, Dec 27, 2015
  13. sml156 Win User

Uknown Startup entry

I just looked at my registry I have the folder with a newer OneDrive but no RunOnce

Uknown Startup entry [​IMG]

Uknown Startup entry [​IMG]

sml156, Dec 27, 2015
  14. lx07 Win User
    When you upgrade to 10 (or clean install) after logging on first time OneDrive is always updated. Same happens if you make a new user and it doesn't matter whether you use OneDrive or not (if you make a new user and sign on you'll see a "Updating OneDrive" notification).

That key is to delete the old version and it has worked (or didn't need doing) as you don't have the directory it is trying to delete.

Because it is in RunOnce the key should have done what it wanted to do and then have been deleted the first time you rebooted. There are some situations where a RunOnce key will not be deleted - if it has a ! sign in it (which it doesn't) and the command failed, if your user is not an administrator... RunOnce Registry Key - Windows 10 hardware dev

Anyway, it has done what it wanted to do (delete the old directory), or what it wanted to do doesn't need doing, so deleting it is no problem at all.

15. ddelo Win User
    The '17.3.6281.1202' folder is the one I have too. It's the updated one.
    The RunOnce reg-key deletes folder '17.3.5892.0626' which apparently is the updated OneDrive version.

I believe that lx07 has put it very well, regarding what OneDrive does.
    The RunOnce command did what was supposed to do. Deleted the old folder '17.3.5892.0626'.
    The problem is why after completion, the RunOnce reg-key was not deleted from the Registry, since my account is Administrator.
    So I tend to believe that is probably a bug from the OneDrive update process.

Dude also had the problem with the RunOnce reg-entry.
    (Solved Uknown Startup entry - Windows 10 Forums)

I backed up the RunOnce reg-key and deleted it. No problems so, far.

ddelo, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Uknown Startup entry

1. Uknown Startup entry - Similar Threads - Uknown Startup entry

2. TaskManager startup entries missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    TaskManager startup entries missing: I just noticed that the entries in start up are missing. I ran a command to check what my startup programs are and they are all still registered how I would expect them to be, and they all start up when I reboot my computer, they're just not showing up in Task Manager. I also...
  3. TaskManager startup entries missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TaskManager startup entries missing: I just noticed that the entries in start up are missing. I ran a command to check what my startup programs are and they are all still registered how I would expect them to be, and they all start up when I reboot my computer, they're just not showing up in Task Manager. I also...
  4. TaskManager startup entries missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. What are these 2 startup entries?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are these 2 startup entries?: I have these 2 errenoues entries that appear when I run Autoruns: \Microsoft\Windows\SMB\UninstallSMB1ClientTask File not found: Unrestricted \Microsoft\Windows\SMB\UninstallSMB1ServerTask File not found: Unrestricted It's a fresh Windows 10 install. I did enable the: -...
  6. Entry point not found on startup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Entry point not found on startup: The last couple of days I have been getting these error messages that pop up on startup and then maybe once or twice during my session. They both say that .dll files cannot be found. The error messages are as follows: The first one: Entry Point Not Found The procedure...
  7. Clean Startup entries on Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Clean Startup entries on Task Manager: Hello everyone. I hope you all are doing well this days. So, well. My question is, how can I delete some 'void' entries on the Startup tab on the Task Manager. Here's my screen and what I want to delete. I suspect them are two old entries from uninstalled software. [img]...
  8. Startup program without entries

Startup program without entries: Hey, I've installed my gaming mouse software, it does start on boot minimized in the taskbar. I don't like having extra icons there, and this mouse has BIOS features which it save whatever programming being made by the software. So there is no point having that programing...
  9. (Universal) Windows Apps - Startup entry.

(Universal) Windows Apps - Startup entry.: Hello Guys, I have recently installed the Spotify from the windows store. It creates two startup entries as shown below: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online. I would like to remove them both from the startup, however I...
  10. How to remove entry's from startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to remove entry's from startup: Hello all,is there a way to remove entry's from the startup menu? I know you can disable them but i would like to remove entry's to some programs that are not even on my computer but are still listed in the startup menu as disabled. (I like to keep things looking neat)*Smile...