Windows 10: Unable access booted machine following restore - no mouse no keyboard

Discus and support Unable access booted machine following restore - no mouse no keyboard in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Following a very recent restore I am unable to access the machine due to mouse and keyboard not responding. I am able to ssh into the running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hput3, Feb 20, 2018.

1. hput3 Win User

Unable access booted machine following restore - no mouse no keyboard

Following a very recent restore I am unable to access the machine due to mouse and keyboard not responding.

I am able to ssh into the running windows 10, so , it is apparently not frozen or the like.

I have cygwin and cygwin sshd (server and client) installed and working for some time. I wondered if there are things I could do inside the OS from ssh session? Even just shutdown/reboot might help.

So are there commands I can run from a ssh session that might get the mouse or keyboard working?

Are there command line commands and arguments for shutdown or reboot I can do from an ssh session?

:)

hput3, Feb 20, 2018
  2. Hepsheesh Win User

mouse and keyboard not working after windows 10 update and restart

Dell Inspiron 660 windows 10 (upgraded from windows 7 during Microsoft push)

functioned correctly until last update and restart (2/2/2018).

no response from either keyboard or mouse when lock screen comes up.

attempted several suggestions

removed hard drive and scanned for malware

tried safe mode, same problem cannot enter password in login screen

mouse and keyboard function in BIOS utility, and they function in windows 10 automatic repair.

automatic repair fails

attempted system restore, but restore failed.

attempted previous build but this failed.

when machine comes up, I'm able to ping it's IP address from another machine

unable to access device manager from another machine

unable to access RDP from another machine

Hepsheesh, Feb 20, 2018
  3. dgbaxter Win User
    Windows 10 insider update - lost the keyboard

Yesterday my Win 10 PC did an update and now when it boots, the mouse will work, but clicking from the sand and sea opening page to the login, the keyboard does not. I can't login! The mouse will not select anything on the screen, a double click brings me
    back to sand and sea.

The mouse and keyboard are both usb models. I unplugged the keyboard and tried a reboot with an old, old purple connector keyboard with no difference.

I burned a dvd with the windows 10 iso package and booted from it to where it asks to install or repair. Clicking repair gave some options, like restore and such, but all ended in some form of "unable to do" message. Selecting a Command window opens and
    the keyboard works, but bcedit says there aren't any partitions. So I can't even boot to Safe Mode.

If I select Install instead of repair, it wants a serial number. Since this was an update of a Win 8.1 machine, I don't have a valid Win 10 serial to put in.

Where do I go from here to my machine back?

Thanks.

dgbaxter, Feb 20, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

The computer problems seem very similar to problems that people are having after a recent windows update.
    See this link: Keyboard and mouse not recognized after boot-up! - Page 6 - Windows 10 Forums

1) Try the hardware method to open the computer's advanced troubleshooting menu.
    2) If this fails create a bootable windows 10 iso so that you can open the windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu.
    3) The function of the keyboard and mouse may vary if you have options for USB2, USB3, and PS/2 and also may vary if you can open either windows advanced troubleshooting menu or the windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu

Create a bootable windows 10 iso:
    Download Windows 10

zbook, Feb 20, 2018
  5. Steve C Win User
    Are you using a wired mouse / keyboard?

Steve C, Feb 20, 2018
  6. RolandJS Win User
    Elsewhere, others indicated using something like Rufus(?) to add things to the boot USB and/or DVD. I don't remember if they succeeded in getting wireless drivers added to said boot stuff, and getting Bluetooth or wireless mouse and keyboard to work.

RolandJS, Feb 25, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    USB mouse and keyboard? Running 1709? Had the recent update? If so, this may relevant.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ry-13-2018-upd

8. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable access booted machine following restore - no mouse no keyboard - Similar Threads - Unable access booted

2. Keyboard and mouse unresponsive after boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard and mouse unresponsive after boot: Hi all, Windows boot to my user login page but the keyboard and mouse do not work. Unplugged and back, no luck. They do work on bios. Legacy usb is enabled. In advanced repair mode (where you end up if you power on and off 3 times...) both work. In safe mode not....
  3. Unable to follow a link

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to follow a link: I am trying to go to a link. I am getting the message "Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing this action for you. For more info, please contact your help desk." This is my home computer. I have no help desk. I have not changed any settings as far as I...
  4. Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine

Mouse and keyboard stop working after power on the machine: I lately experience my mouse and keyboard stop working right at the screen before the login screen after pressing the keyboard, meaning that I cannot get to the login screen. I reboot my PC and was able to get into BIOS setup, showing the keyboard and mouse were working and...
  5. Booting to Command line and keyboard and mouse are not responding

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Booting to Command line and keyboard and mouse are not responding: HI! I am hoping someone can help me out. My wife rebooted my computer last night because of an internet issue. When the computer restarted it went to command line logonUI.exe, and the mouse and keyboard wont respond. I detatched the mouse and keyboard from a switch we use to...
  6. Unable to boot following October 2018 windows 10 update

Unable to boot following October 2018 windows 10 update: I have a Lenovo Z575 Ideapad which originally had Windows 7 installed, it was updated to Windows 10 via the official free upgrade. It has been running Window 10 (64 bit) fine, however following a Window update when switched on all i get is a black screen, i am unable to get...
  7. Keyboard and mouse are not working in login screen after restoring

Keyboard and mouse are not working in login screen after restoring: I have restored my Windows 10 pc last night. But my keyboard and mouse are not working in the login screen. I don't have any CD or USB pendirve with windows 10. What should I do?...
  8. Unable to use keyboard and mouse on Windows 7

Unable to use keyboard and mouse on Windows 7: After installing windows 10, I'm unable to use my keyboard and mouse after the logo screen in windows 7. Everything works fine in the BIOS, but as so as that loading screen for Windows 7 comes up, the lights on the keyboard go off, and I cant use either the mouse or keyboard....
  9. No keyboard or mouse works after restoring previous build

No keyboard or mouse works after restoring previous build: About a week ago my PC installed the annual update and it ended up hanging on a black screen with the spinning circles so I restored to my last build since I don't have my backups anymore. When I finally restored I got to my login screen but couldn't do anything as both my...
  10. Focus follows mouse

in Windows 10 Support
    Focus follows mouse: Like many old-timers, I find having focus follows mouse (x-mouse) a much more productive way to work than having to click in a window to give it focus. A huge advantage is to have information in a foreground window and be able to move the mouse into a partially obscured...