Windows 10: Unable to access admin account

Discus and support Unable to access admin account in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In 2016 we purchased a laptop for our daughter and she set up the admin account and the backup account. She doesn't remember the PW to the admin acct,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MomnSC, May 27, 2020.

1. MomnSC Win User

Unable to access admin account

In 2016 we purchased a laptop for our daughter and she set up the admin account and the backup account. She doesn't remember the PW to the admin acct, the back up account was deleted by me for parental reasons and every single attempt I've tried to regain access to my OWN computer Microsoft emails me only to say the information I submitted was wrong and they can't help me! I've set up a second account but I do not have the access an admin account does and the computer keeps saying it needs to upload things but FIRST I MUST sign into the admin account. HOW? I've waited onhold with their online "chat" person for 8 hours yeserday! I've called them only to be rerouted to a link. I've been at this for almost a year now! Its my computer, I have the purchase information etc. I want to regain access to it! Please somebody help me because Microsoft sure as heck wont!! :-

:)

MomnSC, May 27, 2020

2. Unable to access Admin account.

Hi Jedigal.

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to enter Safe Mode and enable built-in administrator and check.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select
      Safe mode and then press Enter.

Step 2: Enable Built-in administrator.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press
      CTRL + Shift + ESC.

• Click File >Run New Task.

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

• Type CMD.

• Type the following command and hit
      Enter:

• net user administrator /active: yes
      (Check for the spaces)
    6. Now log off from the current user and login to the built-in administrator account from the login screen.

Step 3: Create a new user account with the built-in admin account.

Create a new user account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

After creating new user account, press Windows key, type
    Mange your account
    and hit Enter. Click on Family
    and other users and select the newly created account. Now change the account type to
    Administrator.

Note: Please follow the same steps and type
    net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, May 27, 2020
  3. Vesao Win User
    Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:

Vesao, May 27, 2020
  4. angus Win User

Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, May 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to access admin account - Similar Threads - Unable access admin

2. No Admin access on admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Admin access on admin account: On my home PC I can no longer do basic things like extract files, open task manager, power down or restart my pc because it says it has been disabled by an admin and requires administrator to do it. The only user on my pc has administrator privileges I've even checked in the...
  3. No Admin access on admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Admin access on admin account: On my home PC I can no longer do basic things like extract files, open task manager, power down or restart my pc because it says it has been disabled by an admin and requires administrator to do it. The only user on my pc has administrator privileges I've even checked in the...
  4. Not having Admin access on an Admin account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Not having Admin access on an Admin account.: Hello! I've had this issue for a bit but it was never really an issue till now. I don't have this issue when I'm installing an app. I was trying to set up drive sharing for an FTP server. And this is minor but I also can't turn on syncing for my account. I looked at a few...
  5. Admin Account Accessing Other Accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin Account Accessing Other Accounts: Hi, Why is it that when I log off from my account and log into the Administrator's account, I can still access my own data. As far as I can recall, I have never given the Admin account permission to access mine. Is this normal? Matt 170394
  6. Deleted Admin Account and have no access to admin rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    Deleted Admin Account and have no access to admin rights: I have dual booted my MacBook Pro. In windows 10 I logged in as Admin and removed the account from membership tabs...So I am left only with standard user....Now I can not do any activity wherein admin rights are required.. I tried everything but not able to get back admin...
  7. No longer access to admin account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No longer access to admin account: I am the sole user of this pc but can no longer get full access to the Powershell or upgrade my current admin status to change user options. Also File Explorer does not function correctly eg It will not let me rename any directory and instead just closes itself....
  8. Unable to login to admin account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to login to admin account: Hi Experts, I am not able to login to my admin account. I was trying some thing with net user command and accidently might have reseted the password. Now I am not able to login back. I have a guest account on the laptop with which I can log in, it has minimum privileges....
  9. Unable to login into admin account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to login into admin account: Hi All, I am unable to login into admin account using the current credentials, but i am able to login into the server using user credentials that i created. Can any on help me in debugging the issue....
  10. Admin access to users accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Admin access to users accounts: Now that I've upgrade our main machine from xp64 to Win10, I am not trying to restore everyone profile stuff. However, even as admin I can't seem to access anyone's profile but mine. How can i access their profiles so I can load all their stuff back into them? It would...