Windows 10: Unable to access anything in Windows 10 - start menu, task manager, etc.

Discus and support Unable to access anything in Windows 10 - start menu, task manager, etc. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since yesterday, I've been unable to access start menu (windows button in keyboard, clicking on start menu or right-clicking on it). I'm not able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by greenmouli, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Unable to access anything in Windows 10 - start menu, task manager, etc.

Since yesterday, I've been unable to access start menu (windows button in keyboard, clicking on start menu or right-clicking on it). I'm not able to access task manager or services.msc - everything gives me this message: "The service cannot accept control messages at this time"

Online troubleshooting articles suggest me to run sfc /scannow in command prompt but I am unable to get into administrator mode in command prompt. I'm unable to install a windows repair tool I downloaded from online - tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe which again gives me the same message above.

I didn't install anything new yesterday, so not sure what triggered this suddenly. I can't access the "Reset PC option", which if available, I could do a factory reset at least.

I noticed that since yesterday, when I login using my password, it takes about 15-20 seconds to bring my desktop, which doesn't happen usually - usually takes about 5 seconds or less to enter the desktop screen - if this helps.

Anyone have any idea as to how to fix this? Or a way to reset my PC? I have all my data in another partition so I can just reset the main drive in which Windows is installed, but not sure how to do it since I am unable to access the Settings section.

:)

greenmouli, Jun 23, 2019

2. Unable to access Start menu, Search bar, notification buttons on Task bar after install the Update KB3139907 on Windows 10

Hi John,

Thank you for responding.

We are glad to know that you are able to access Search bar and notification center after performing the above troubleshooting steps.

For the issues with Start menu, try the below steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the below PowerShell command to re-register Start menu and check if it helps.

Follow:

• Right click on the Taskbar and select
      Task Manager
      from the context menu.

• In the Task Manager window, click on
      File
      and on Run new task.

• Type powershell, place a check mark on
      Create this task with administrative privileges
      and click Ok.

• In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, carefully type the below command and hit Enter key from the keyboard.

• Get-appxpackage -all *shellexperience* -packagetype bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + “\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml”)}
    5. Once the command execution is completed successfully, close the PowerShell window and reboot/ restart the computer.

NOTE: When you are running the PowerShell command, I recommend you to close all the apps on your system and try.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the below Microsoft article and check if it helps.

Get help with the Windows 10 Start menu

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 23, 2019
  3. Can't open start menu, cortana, nor the task manager after creators update.

Hi Anna,

Since you mentioned that you're experiencing issues with the Start menu, Cortana and Task Manager, we may need to do several troubleshooting procedures.

For our first procedure, could you please try to right-click the Start
    menu, select Task Manager and check if you are able to access it. If you are still not able to access the Task Manager, try to press
    Windows Key+R from your keyboard and type "Task Manager" on the run command and check if you are able to access it.

If you're able to access the Task Manager, please follow the steps and check if the steps help to fix the Task Manager:

• Open Task Manager.
    • Click on the Details tab.
    • Right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End task.
    • Right-click on the File at the upper left part.
    • Select Run new task and type explorer.exe and click Ok.

To troubleshoot the Start menu and Cortana, we suggest that you carefully follow the workaround provided by
    Andre Da Costa, dated last October 17, 2017, on this thread.

We are eager on getting this resolved for you, we will wait for your feedback.

Lawrence Lib, Jun 23, 2019
  4. Unable to access anything in Windows 10 - start menu, task manager, etc.

Bug in Windows 10 - start menu and apps not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that you are unable to access Start menu, Windows Store apps, Microsoft Edge, Taskbar etc., after installing Windows Updates.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: If you are able to access Programs and Features, I suggest you to uninstall the updates and check.

• Press Windows + x key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Programs and Features.

• Double click on the updates you want to uninstall and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: If you are unable to perform the above mentioned steps,
    I suggest you to run the PowerShell command and check:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC, to open the
      Task manager

• Click File > Run New Task.

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

• Type Powershell.

• Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml'; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

• Close the Powershell window.

• Reboot/Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

Unable to access anything in Windows 10 - start menu, task manager, etc.

1. Unable to access anything in Windows 10 - start menu, task manager, etc. - Similar Threads - Unable access anything

2. Unable to click on the taskbar search bar, start menu, dates, etc on the windows task bar.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to click on the taskbar search bar, start menu, dates, etc on the windows task bar.: Hello, I am having an issue with not being able to click on the start menu on my taskbar, or being able to click on the dates, calendar, time, etc.. on the right side. I AM however, able to click on apps that show up on the taskbar. I also noticed that when I open the windows...
  3. Unable to click on the taskbar search bar, start menu, dates, etc on the windows task bar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to click on the taskbar search bar, start menu, dates, etc on the windows task bar.: Hello, I am having an issue with not being able to click on the start menu on my taskbar, or being able to click on the dates, calendar, time, etc.. on the right side. I AM however, able to click on apps that show up on the taskbar. I also noticed that when I open the windows...
  4. Unable to click on the taskbar search bar, start menu, dates, etc on the windows task bar.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows desktop not displaying anything; can’t access task manager

Windows desktop not displaying anything; can’t access task manager: I have an older hp computer and recently upgraded to windows 10 about a week ago. Everything has been fine until now where I can no longer access any search browsers or open any apps. The taskbar still shows up and when I click the icons it acts as if it’s open but I can see...
  6. Unable to Access Start Menu or Any Windows Logo task

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Access Start Menu or Any Windows Logo task: I have been having troubles with my Windows 10 device past couple of days. Several BSODs. Ran Startup Repair this morning, when the device froze at the login screen. Device can boot up now, but even more problems. Clicking on Windows icon to access Start menu and switch...
  7. Microsoft 10 unable to open anything but task manager.

Microsoft 10 unable to open anything but task manager.: So the whole screen is going one and off after i enter my password. After which i tried to open a couple of things and the only thing not getting refreshed is the task manager. Other wise its repeting the start process again and again. I am not sure what to do....
  8. Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working

in Cortana
    Windows start menu, task manager and task bar not working: Hello, I got a new lenovo idea centre and it worked find the first day, then on the 2nd day the start menu wouldn't open, the task bar does not work and things like the control panel do not open! I keep getting the error C:\\windows\system32\ptionalfeatures.exe. This...
  9. no access to 'start menu' etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    no access to 'start menu' etc: im on insider preview of windows home - build 17692.rs_prerelease_flt.180625-1624 i have lost access to start menu and the notifications shortcut. when i attempt to run programs i receive error messages. i have lost quite a bit of functionality on my system (including...
  10. Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to open Start Menu, any Programs or Task Manager: The other day my computer was refusing to open some pop-up windows in Google Chrome so I restarted it. It hung in the restart window with the spinning circle for a significant period of time so I was forced to shut down. Upon restarting, I get to my desktop and my cursor...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to type anything on start menu