Windows 10: unable to access .CMD and .EXE files from explorer on external drives.

Discus and support unable to access .CMD and .EXE files from explorer on external drives. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I opened up my system today only to discover that i am unable to access any of my programs i have installed on external drives. the drives themselves... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cybot, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Cybot Win User

unable to access .CMD and .EXE files from explorer on external drives.

I opened up my system today only to discover that i am unable to access any of my programs i have installed on external drives. the drives themselves are being detected and by windows, and are being assigned a drive letter, but if i try and open a program from explorer, I get a misleading error message : "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I spent all day setting, unsetting, and resetting NTFS permissions on the drive to no avail. I found i could open up programs I had installed onto the external drives i

:)

Cybot, Jun 10, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 10, 2021
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    External Drive "not accessible"

Hi,

Corrupted USB controller is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to access your external hard drive. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this

link
    to resolve the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jun 10, 2021
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Unable to access Drives

Hi Suneel,

One of the reasons why you're unable to access your hard disk or an external hard drive is that these drives have been corrupted. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you trying to access external hard drives or just partitioned drives on your PC?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

Just to make sure, kindly verify if your hard drive is reflected in your Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps listed below to check it:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Device Manager.
    • Under Disk drives, kindly check if there's an error on the hard drive listed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

1. unable to access .CMD and .EXE files from explorer on external drives. - Similar Threads - unable access CMD

2. Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to cut/copy files from external drive: Coundnt transfer files from my USB 3.0 external drive. after certain time, its transfer speed fell to 0. And this problem happens on this specific drive.Here, 1. I have tried with different windows PC's with different files in different locations.2. keep it transferring for...
  3. Unable to cut/copy files from external drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to cut/copy files from external drive: Coundnt transfer files from my USB 3.0 external drive. after certain time, its transfer speed fell to 0. And this problem happens on this specific drive.Here, 1. I have tried with different windows PC's with different files in different locations.2. keep it transferring for...
  4. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files: Hi, I am encountering a problem that the default app of .exe files has been changed.While I did some research that many of the solutions suggest that I can reset it via cmd or regedit. However, my oc doesn't let me open any of those.Everytime I choose to open regedit or cmd....
  5. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files: Hi, I am encountering a problem that the default app of .exe files has been changed.While I did some research that many of the solutions suggest that I can reset it via cmd or regedit. However, my oc doesn't let me open any of those.Everytime I choose to open regedit or cmd....
  6. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. unable to access external drive with bitlocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to access external drive with bitlocker: I have an external drive with bitlocker installed. I know the password and I have the encryption key. When I connect the drive to my computer that is running Windows 10 Pro, I am queried to enter my password for the external drive. However, after entering my password, the...
  8. Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error message when trying to access files from an external hard drive in file explorer: I have an 2.0TB Seagate external drive attached by USB when I try to open some of the files in file explorer I get the message "Location not available - H:/ ***********. is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware failure" I have attached a...
  9. Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to transfer files to and from external hard drives: My HP laptop is unable to modify or transfer files from external hard drives. It says i need permission to access the folders so i changed the ownership and reset the permissions of the files and it still didn't work. I also tried formatting the hard drives but it didn't...
  10. Unable to access external USB Drives!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to access external USB Drives!: Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. I have looked in disk management and...