Windows 10: Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

Discus and support Unable to access data stored on external hard drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am unable to access data that is stored on an external hard drive. I get an error message that says "You don't currently have permission to access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Robert J.Walker, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

I am unable to access data that is stored on an external hard drive. I get an error message that says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." This is data I stored on this external drive. I have used this drive to store data off my computer and so off line and to transfer data from one computer to another. On another note, when I check my user account on this laptop is says I am "Adminiistrator", but I also get error messages telling me I can't do some thing s because I don't have Administrator rights.

:)

Robert J.Walker, Jun 21, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Unable to access Drives

Hi Suneel,

One of the reasons why you're unable to access your hard disk or an external hard drive is that these drives have been corrupted. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you trying to access external hard drives or just partitioned drives on your PC?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

Just to make sure, kindly verify if your hard drive is reflected in your Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps listed below to check it:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Device Manager.
    • Under Disk drives, kindly check if there's an error on the hard drive listed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Jun 21, 2020
  3. Unable to access folders in external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access the files and folders from external hard drive, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • How have you connected the hard drive to Windows 10 computer?
    • Were you able to see any error code along with the error message?
    • Is this issue specific only with the files and folders in the external drive?
    • Have you tried to access these files on different computer?

Reply to the post with required information and brief description about the issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 21, 2020
  4. Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

Trouble Accessing External Hard drive

I just got an external hard drive for my computer from a friend and I am trying to format the drive to clear the previous data. The drive will not show in file explorer but when I go to devices in settings it shows that it is connected. I cannot even access
    any data that is on the drive at all. Does anyone have a fix or suggestions?

The External Hard drive is Western Digital.

AlexYates1, Jun 21, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

1. Unable to access data stored on external hard drive. - Similar Threads - Unable access data

2. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  3. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  4. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  6. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  7. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

8. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  9. Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Workaround to access data when: External Hard Drive "is not accessible. Access is denied.": I got the dreaded "[Drive] is not accessible" message after plugging my external USB hard drive into a new desktop computer. [ATTACH] The drive showed up fine in Disk Management, And after scouring the Internet for solutions, all of the Permissions were fine, as well is...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...