Windows 10: Unable to access EFS-encrypted files on HDD, receive error 0x80071771

Discus and support Unable to access EFS-encrypted files on HDD, receive error 0x80071771 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; While troubleshooting O365 OWA with my workplace, I deleted all Root and Personal certificates, which would up including a cert related to encrypting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Frank.Cowan, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Unable to access EFS-encrypted files on HDD, receive error 0x80071771

While troubleshooting O365 OWA with my workplace, I deleted all Root and Personal certificates, which would up including a cert related to encrypting with EFS. I received the error "Error 0x80071771: the specified file could not be decrypted' when I attempted to open several different types of files.

I already followed the instructions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...80071771/4d6140a5-8989-4ea4-bae1-88e4ed623812, and now some of the files are decrypted. However, the main ones I need for work are still encrypted and I tried the same linked instructions, but computer will not complete the creation of the everyone

I also restored the certificates and keys from a back-up, and it looks like everything for EFS has been restored, but I am still unable to open or modify properties for a good portion of the files on the local C-drive.

:)

Frank.Cowan, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error: Error: 0x80071771, The Specified File Could Not Be Decrypted when accessing an Encrypted file

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to access the files that you have encrypted and you receive an error while decrypting the files.

I suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by Shafeeq_Khan in the thread

Error: 0x80071771, The Specified File Could Not Be Decrypted
    replied on April 14, 2019 and see if that helps in resolving the issue.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 30, 2020
  3. CaKe06 Win User
    Error 0x80071771

I'm attempting to access a file after upgrading to Win 10 but receive error 0x80071771: The specified file could not be encrypted. I've double checked and I am the owner of this file and have full rights (right click>properties>security>advance). The
    file was created prior to me upgrading to Win10 but I don't recall encrypting it. Is there a way to determine how this file was encrypted? Better yet is there a work around?

CaKe06, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Unable to access EFS-encrypted files on HDD, receive error 0x80071771

Help accessing encrypted files (Error: 0x80071771: The specified file could not be decrypted)

Hi DesignerJo0314,

EFS or Encrypting File System on Windows is designed to protect your confidential data from threats or attackers that have access to your computer. Once a file is encrypted, a recovery key or certificate is required to access
    it on a different device. This means that the file can only be accessed on the same machine and same user account it was encrypted to.

Here are the ways on how to access the encrypted file on a different computer or user profile:

1. Decrypt the file before moving it to the new computer. You can encrypt the file to the new user profile once the transfer is complete.
    2. Move the encrypted file to the new computer including the certificate or key.

Apparently, the only way to access the encrypted file on your new computer is to have the certificate or key. If you still have the old laptop, you can try to connect the hard drive to your new computer and decrypt the file.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions.

Devlin Sco, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access EFS-encrypted files on HDD, receive error 0x80071771

1. Unable to access EFS-encrypted files on HDD, receive error 0x80071771 - Similar Threads - Unable access EFS

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

7. copying EFS files encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying EFS files encrypted files: Hello,i am studying for the md-100 exam and came across this posthttps://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-copying-moving-files/a013bd25-fca9-475c-a4aa-15b8e2de3b51Here it states that any user can move encrypted files on the same drive.However ik tested this...
  8. Error 0x80071771 The specified file could not be encrypted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80071771 The specified file could not be encrypted: Hello. my laptop running Windows 11 Pro and I was encrypt a folder with bitlocker that contain files. one day, windows cumulative update ruined my laptop. I tried to uninstall the update but it's doesn't work. so I choose to re install my Windows 11.After everything is fine,...
  9. Error 0x80071771 The specified file could not be encrypted

Error 0x80071771 The specified file could not be encrypted: Hello. my laptop running Windows 11 Pro and I was encrypt a folder with bitlocker that contain files. one day, windows cumulative update ruined my laptop. I tried to uninstall the update but it's doesn't work. so I choose to re install my Windows 11.After everything is fine,...
  10. I can't access the encrypted folder and its files error 0x80071771

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't access the encrypted folder and its files error 0x80071771: I encrypted the folder using the Windows on this Laptop, I had to reset everything so I copied the folder to my USB. But after I reset my computer and I tried to access the folder it was giving me this error every time, can someone help? When I try to open images it just...
Tags: