Windows 10: Unable to access encrypted files

Discus and support Unable to access encrypted files in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I previously encrypted some files back in 2018. Fast forward to about a week ago and I got a security message about a potential security threat from a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by WoolaPanda, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Unable to access encrypted files

I previously encrypted some files back in 2018. Fast forward to about a week ago and I got a security message about a potential security threat from a plugin I previously used, and that re-installing windows was a recommended action. I was OK with this, since I've had a practice of resetting my PC every couple of years to keep everything from getting too bogged down anyway. I copied all of the items I wanted to keep, including the encrypted files, and did a clean installation of windows.

Now that I have a clean copy of windows, everytime I try to open the files I get errors about "You do not have permission to open this file". So I performed the actions mentioned here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-not-be/6ae895e2-f154-40de-b970-e93d3fc8f060

but nothing changed after performing the steps and restarting.

Then I restored my previous windows version using a full system image that was made around the same time the files were encrypted. I thought that if I restored that windows installation it would give me access again, but the error still occurs and I am locked out of the files. I also tried to see if I could access a copy of the files that might exist in the FileHistory backup, but windows keeps telling me to "reselect your file history drive" and will not bring up the stored file history even though I can still see the filehistory directory and content.

I'm running out of ideas, and was hoping that someone more knowledgeable might be able to help?

:)

WoolaPanda, Mar 15, 2021

2. Unable to access/open encrypted files

Hello Tom,

We regret for the inconvenience and we understand the frustration when things don't go the way they supposed to. Let me assist you.

Before we proceed any further let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Are you facing any issues while accessing data not encrypted in your PC?
    • Did you observe the issue immediately after Windows 10 installation or after any software/hardware changes made to PC (if any) ?
    • What is the relevant error message when you say 'locked and cannot be opened'?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to refer to the below thread, wherein
    Niranjan Majhi has replied to on 31st May, 2016.

Cannot open EFS encrypted files after upgrading to Windows 10

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to encrypted files in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 15, 2021
  3. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Mar 15, 2021
  4. Unable to access encrypted files

Accessing encrypted files

I have files on my backup hard drive which I cannot access - they have little padlock symbols on them.

After trying many different things, I get two messages:

1. There is a problem decrypting the files - access denied (or words to that effect)

2. "You need administrator permission to access this file" I am listed as the administrator on this computer.

I did not knowingly encrypt these files, just backed them up on the HD.

When I go through "properties" the permissions I see against my name have grey ticks, rather than black ones.

This suggests they are not actually effective/available.

Please help!!

RomanRencki, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Unable to access encrypted files

1. Unable to access encrypted files - Similar Threads - Unable access encrypted

2. I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows: Hello there,I am facing a serious issue that I caused by mistake. Previously, I was using Windows 10 and I had applied BitLocker on my personal drive and encrypted the files inside it from their properties. I had not used my laptop for a while, as I had a new system. However,...
  3. I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am unable to access my encrypted files that were encrypted in a previous version of Windows: Hello there,I am facing a serious issue that I caused by mistake. Previously, I was using Windows 10 and I had applied BitLocker on my personal drive and encrypted the files inside it from their properties. I had not used my laptop for a while, as I had a new system. However,...
  4. cannot access encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot access encrypted files: I got some files that I've encrypted by EFS on windows 11. After I got some issues, I have to reinstall windows 10 then I lost my access to the files that I've encrypted even I use the same Microsoft account on both system and it's on the same computer.I've tried may methods...
  5. cannot access encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot access encrypted files: I got some files that I've encrypted by EFS on windows 11. After I got some issues, I have to reinstall windows 10 then I lost my access to the files that I've encrypted even I use the same Microsoft account on both system and it's on the same computer.I've tried may methods...
  6. cannot access encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Accessing encrypted files

Accessing encrypted files: I have files on my backup hard drive which I cannot access - they have little padlock symbols on them. After trying many different things, I get two messages: 1. There is a problem decrypting the files - access denied or words to that effect 2. "You need administrator...
  8. Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive: I add bitlocker to one off my drive after window it cant open with the password and even with the bitlocker recovery key . ***Original title: Bitlocker***...
  9. Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...: I do not use a smart card. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-file-system-you-are-encrypting-a-file/a56f8b42-45e4-4d23-a119-5b4ee55f305e"
  10. Unable to get access to files encrypted on Windows 7 computer

Unable to get access to files encrypted on Windows 7 computer: When my computer ran Windows 7, some files were encrypted by mistake. Unfortunately I didn’t know that they were encrypted. Then I took backup of the data, formatted the computer and installed windows 10. Now these files are unusable. How can I get access to them?...