Windows 10: Unable to access Ext HDD.

Discus and support Unable to access Ext HDD. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently updated my laptop to Windows 10 using the media creation tool, using my hdd as a flash drive for the update. After the update the hdd reads... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Akhil Ahmed, May 6, 2020.

1. Unable to access Ext HDD.

I recently updated my laptop to Windows 10 using the media creation tool, using my hdd as a flash drive for the update. After the update the hdd reads as ESD-USB and I can't access the files stored in it! Please help and thanks in advance.

:)

Akhil Ahmed, May 6, 2020

2. Cannot see my ext WD 2 TB HDD

Ran into this problem transferring media files from my laptop to the WD ext hdd. Both USB 3.
    "My Book", my 2 TB WD ext HDD I cannot be seen on my laptop nor my media mini pc
    I found it in Disk Management. It is shown as Disk 2. It has a black streak all the way (full?) It has excess of I,8 TB used and indicates that it is unitialized.

I have attached a snipper capture of the disk management page.

How do I get the ext HDD to function without losing all my media? I am not technically savvy, but can follow step by step advice.

Thanks

Goodgenie4u, May 6, 2020
  3. computer stops recognizing 2 ext HDD

I use a 7 year old HP Pavillion desk top and so far it has worked well. I have USB connected 2 ext HDD. One is basic storage and the other is my ext backup HDD. If I try to open a file in either of them, my computer stops recognizing both the ext HDDs causing
    a major problem creating backups. The only way to bring back recognition of the drives is to reboot. I plugged the two HDDs into another computer and they were fine there. How do I fix this?

cameraman32, May 6, 2020
  4. Johankaan Win User

Unable to access Ext HDD.

unlock hdd

Johankaan, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access Ext HDD.

1. Unable to access Ext HDD. - Similar Threads - Unable access Ext

2. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  3. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disconnecting Ext HDD: I always click the lower left Icon to disconnect my Ext HDs, but they always seem to stay busy even though I stop all processes. Is there a way to tell what process is still active & preventing me from disconnecting? Or a way to stop all easily? I end up rebooting after I...
  4. Disconnecting Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  6. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    need to reformat a ext HDD: Hello - I have a new 2TB HDD for a laptop. I formatted it and created partitions, but failed to create enough space for the C: drive. So I want to start over, but after deleting the partitions, File Mgr is not detecting the HDD. I am using AOMEI Disk Part and it recognizes...
  7. need to reformat a ext HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Access to Ext HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Ext HDD: I found that to use my Ext HDD, I needed to go to the Control panel and declare it as a Backup Storage device. Prior to a week or so ago, all I had to do was plug the ext HDD into my laptop via USB. But now that I have declared it a Backup device, I am still unable to see it...
  9. Unable to Manage Files in Ext HDD due to Security restrictions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Manage Files in Ext HDD due to Security restrictions: I have a HDD I use to save/backup files. I tried to clean up some folders and get a "Need to provide Admin approval" drop down. I am the admin, then I try to provide approval but it tells me "Approval Denied"!! I created the folders and the files within, I am the one &...
  10. WmiPrvSe ext hdd activity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WmiPrvSe ext hdd activity: I have an external HDD and from what I can see in the task manager, it is constantly being read or used by some process. I ran Process Monitor and filtered it down the the drive letter and I see that the process wmiprvse is the only process there. I did some research on it...