Windows 10: unable to access external drive with bitlocker

Discus and support unable to access external drive with bitlocker in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have an external drive with bitlocker installed. I know the password and I have the encryption key. When I connect the drive to my computer that is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by afeist, Mar 17, 2021.

1. afeist Win User

unable to access external drive with bitlocker

I have an external drive with bitlocker installed. I know the password and I have the encryption key. When I connect the drive to my computer that is running Windows 10 Pro, I am queried to enter my password for the external drive. However, after entering my password, the drive spins but it never unlocks...the drive just keeps running and it affects various computer functions. When it apparently times out and I can click on the drive once more in Windows Explorer, its starts the effort over to access the drive and takes another 10-15 minutes until it times out again.

Thank you for whatever advice you can provide.

:)

afeist, Mar 17, 2021
  2. jmledger Win User

Unable to access Bitlocker encrypted External drive

I read the articles. Yet, I am still confused on what to do. I did not see where it tells me how to unlock my external drive with the pass key I have. Can some one give step by step? I am sure I'm not the first to have a external drive with bitlocker on
    and try to unlock on a new computer.

Thank you

jmledger, Mar 17, 2021
  3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Remove BitLocker for external drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you want to disable BitLocker for the external hard drive. However, we would like to know if you are able to access data from the external hard drive.

In the meantime, you may refer the steps mentioned below to disable BitLocker:

1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the Command Prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type manage-bde –off X: and hit
      Enter
      . (Replace X with the drive letter of the external hard drive)

Meanwhile, you may also post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on BitLocker to address your query.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

1. unable to access external drive with bitlocker - Similar Threads - unable access external

2. Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Access Encrypted Drive External HDD: Hi Support,Kindly assist with this urgent matter. I've encrypted my external hard disk of 1 TB a couple of days ago. I DO remember the pin I set yet it doesn't accept it. I've tried it a couple of times & tried all other possible password matches & options but to no avail....
  3. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  4. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  5. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Bitlocker for External Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Bitlocker for External Drive: Sorry I tried to search but couldn't find the answer. I have 4TB external hard disk (3TB Filled) and I am thinking of enabling bitlocker on it. Would it be possible to suspend the encryption process and disconnect the drive to continue on another day? Previously while...
  7. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  8. Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Access a Bitlocker encrypted system drive as external drive: I am getting rid of a desktop with a bitlocker encrypted C drive. I want to physically remove that drive and have access to it from another pc via external usb dock or enclosire Bitlocker question: Do I need to decrypt it first ? I was thinking with the key or the password...
  9. Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to access BitLocker encrypted drive: I add bitlocker to one off my drive after window it cant open with the password and even with the bitlocker recovery key . ***Original title: Bitlocker***...
  10. Unable to access external USB Drives!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to access external USB Drives!: Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. I have looked in disk management and...