Windows 10: Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update.

Discus and support Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Before the computer updated, I could use them just fine. After the update, I cant view them or even format a drive in fat32. Keeps prompting to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/JustShootShit, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update.

Before the computer updated, I could use them just fine. After the update, I cant view them or even format a drive in fat32. Keeps prompting to reformat the drive and shows it is RAW format, which it isnt.

• The drives work in other windows laptops that didn't update. They show the drives in fat32
    • The computer does see the drives and assigns a letter
    • Theres no option to reformat the drives as the devices its used on ONLY reads and works in Fat32
    • Ive turned it off and on several times
    • Legacy in bios is on

Not sure what to do to fix this. A complete reinstall is out of the question. I have way too much software and settings on this I need.

submitted by /u/JustShootShit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/JustShootShit, Jun 13, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Unable to access Drives

Hi Suneel,

One of the reasons why you're unable to access your hard disk or an external hard drive is that these drives have been corrupted. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you trying to access external hard drives or just partitioned drives on your PC?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

Just to make sure, kindly verify if your hard drive is reflected in your Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps listed below to check it:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Device Manager.
    • Under Disk drives, kindly check if there's an error on the hard drive listed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Unable to open files on FAT32 Drives (Do not have permission)

Hi Chad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I’ll certainly help you with this.

I would like to let you know that Windows 10 doesn't support FAT32 formatted drives. I suggest you to take the back up of the files and format the drive in NTFS format. To do so, follow these steps:

• Connect the USB drive to the computer and right click on it.

• Select format and set the file system to
      NTFS(default).

• Select click on Start to format the USB drive.

• Now, transfer the files to the drive and check if you are able to open the files.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Jun 13, 2020
  4. kenkickr Win User

Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update.

FAT32 formatting

If you can plug the drive into a XP system you can partition and format to FAT32 through Drive Configuration. Heres the steps

1. Click Start and go to your control panel

2. Go into Administrative Tools and then open up Computer Management

3. Now click on Disk Management that is located under Storage.

On the right you should see your drive that you want to format to FAT32. Just right click the drive, select format, and switch partition to Fat32. You may need to delete the volume if it will not let you change to Fat32 and then repartition. I have used this many times.

kenkickr, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update.

1. Unable to access Fat32 Drives after update. - Similar Threads - Unable access Fat32

2. Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10: I am unable to access my external drive in Windows 10. I am able to use it fine on an old Vista laptop. When I plug it in to the Win10 machine it recognizes the drive and assigns it a drive letter but shows no more information on the drive "IE: drive size, properties, files,...
  3. Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10: I am unable to access my external drive in Windows 10. I am able to use it fine on an old Vista laptop. When I plug it in to the Win10 machine it recognizes the drive and assigns it a drive letter but shows no more information on the drive "IE: drive size, properties, files,...
  4. Unable to access 1TB External fat32 drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to format Fat32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format Fat32: As the subject header eays, I'm unable to format to FAT32.The only choices I have are NTFS & exFAT.Has Microsoft removed the choice to format in FAT16/32 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-format-fat32/22183b77-8591-4731-88da-8c0570ba3f1e
  6. Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS

Converting FAT32 drive to NTFS: It says that my drive already an NTFS when I go to my advanced startup cmd. But when I go look at in properties it still shows that it's a FAT32 drive. [IMG][ATTACH]...
  7. Unable to access NAS drives after v2004 update

Unable to access NAS drives after v2004 update: Hi, I have 2Win 10 Pro machines and 2 WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS drives all connected by Ethernet cables, I can access the drives, but as soon as I try to copy files to/from the drives the connection keeps dropping out, the drives are not mapped I am using Network Addressing e.g....
  8. fat32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fat32: is that a good format for a USB for downloading win10 media tool https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fat32/a3b94e7e-b103-4cb7-a11b-00db6a495363
  9. FAT32 for 1 T drive

FAT32 for 1 T drive: How can I format a 1 T usb drive to FAT32 beyond the Window 10 32gig limit? Ideally I would like to have the entire drive FAT32/ I have seem some free download apps but they look dated. Any specific recommendations? 75404
  10. Unable to process FAT32

Unable to process FAT32: Hi, My laptop is running windows 10.0.16299.248 and suddenly it is unable to read FAT32 partitions. Plugging in a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 file system, the system will complain of it needs to be formatted. Creating a FAT32 partition in the laptop hard...