Windows 10: Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

Discus and support Unable to access files on desktop from laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm going crazy. I am unable to access the shared folder on my desktop from my laptop... I've been trying... Can I please have some help? Desktop PC:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by snowman666, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

I'm going crazy. I am unable to access the shared folder on my desktop from my laptop... I've been trying... Can I please have some help? Desktop PC: Running Windows 10 Pro on ethernet cableLaptop: Running Windows 10 Home on WiFiLogged in with same MS account on both PC. When I click on TuringMachine name of desktop to open it I get greeted with typing my credentials but password don't work.. So I would like to be able to access the folder I set as shared from my E drive. I gave "everybody" all permissions in advanced sharing.I turned on network discovery and file and printer

:)

snowman666, Oct 2, 2021
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to access the files on your desktop from your laptop. However, we would like to know the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message/code?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer?

Ideally, to share files between two computers, they should be connected to the same network.

We would like to know if you are able to access the drive using the IP address. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type
      \\IPAddress
      (ex: 192.168.x.x) and check if you are able to access the drive.

If you get any error, please click on the drop down arrow in the error dialogue box and let us know the error.

Also, check the sharing permissions for the shared folder. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location on the PC through which the files are shared.
    2. Right click on the folder and select Properties.
    3. Click on Sharing tab, and click on
      Advanced Sharing.
    4. Now, select the checkbox for Share this folder.
    5. Click on Permissions, select the check box for
      Allow Full Control.
    6. Click on OK (Twice).

For more information, you may refer the suggestions provided by
    Roohi_Taj
    replied on November 28, 2018 in the thread
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to request access

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 2, 2021
  3. karyeowl Win User
    Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Oct 2, 2021
  4. Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Both my laptop and my desktop operate on Windows 10 and I have followed previously successful steps for sharing files between the two computers. Why can I not access my desktop's files from my laptop suddenly, today? Did anybody else have the same problem?
    Could you please show me some steps to configure any possible settings I would need to configure?

***Modified title from: I can access my laptop's files from my desktop computer but not vice versa.***

JayHoward1, Oct 2, 2021
Thema:

Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

1. Unable to access files on desktop from laptop - Similar Threads - Unable access files

2. Unable to find desktop computer from laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to find desktop computer from laptops: When I go to the network on my laptop I only see the 2 windows 11 laptops. But I also have a windows 10 desktop computer and it's nowhere to be found. But I am able to see the 2 windows 11 laptops from my windows 10 desktop network. Can't you PLEASE help me fix this? I want...
  3. Unable to find desktop computer from laptops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to find desktop computer from laptops: When I go to the network on my laptop I only see the 2 windows 11 laptops. But I also have a windows 10 desktop computer and it's nowhere to be found. But I am able to see the 2 windows 11 laptops from my windows 10 desktop network. Can't you PLEASE help me fix this? I want...
  4. Unable to access files in desktop folders

Unable to access files in desktop folders: When I open a file folder on my desktop and attempt to open a PDF file nothing opens. I only get a spinning blue circle. My Adobe is up to date. I can open any PDF files that are received via email, but once I save them to the desktop they are no longer accessible....
  5. Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network

Accessing shared files on desktop from laptop via the network: I have a desktop PC and a Laptop on my home network. Before 1803, I could share file using the network and sharing option. After the 1803 update when Homegroup was removed I could no longer access the computers in either direction without the Enter Network Credentials...
  6. Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop

Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop: Windows 10 tells me I have been denied access. It is my own file! How can I get permission to access the file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-my-music-files-on-laptop/01c1c26c-7f50-4947-971e-4c2acd42b90b"
  7. Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop: Both my laptop and my desktop operate on Windows 10 and I have followed previously successful steps for sharing files between the two computers. Why can I not access my desktop's files from my laptop suddenly, today? Did anybody else have the same problem? Could you please...
  8. Unable to access files on desktop

Unable to access files on desktop: Hello, I have this user that all most all of his files in this one folder on his desktop are locked. Can't open word docs, pdf's or powerpoint files. I wend thru a few steps that I found on line and was able to unlock a few by taking ownership of that folder. But not...
  9. Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.

Accessing hard drive in laptop from desktop.: I am getting the error windows cannot access \\CHRS_LAPTOP\laptop harddrive What is going on, I set the sharing preferences so no password is needed to access the hard drive and everyone can access it. This worked in windows 7 and 8.1, what changed in windows 10? 59693
  10. unable to access promptfile.com from my laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to access promptfile.com from my laptop: I am unable to access promptfile.com from my laptop though I am able to access it from my mobile browser. This is a problem coming only for the last one month. I am using windows 10. I am just getting the message that the webpage is not available. Can somebody help me? 36499