Windows 10: Unable to access files on desktop

Discus and support Unable to access files on desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have this user that all most all of his files in this one folder on his desktop are locked. Can't open word docs, pdf's or powerpoint... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jayser247, Jan 22, 2019.

1. jayser247 Win User

Unable to access files on desktop

Hello,

I have this user that all most all of his files in this one folder on his desktop are locked.

Can't open word docs, pdf's or powerpoint files. I wend thru a few steps that I found on line and was able to unlock a few by taking ownership of that folder. But not everything unlocked. I can't copy that folder to another drive either.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Jay

***Modified title from: Files locked in folder***

:)

jayser247, Jan 22, 2019
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 22, 2019
  3. karyeowl Win User
    Laptops cannot access desktops via WIFI

I have 3 desktops (all on Windows 10 1803) connected on my LAN. After following this forum for some times and did all the steps as suggested by forum member, access denied, all my desktops are able to view and access one another. I have a printer connected to PC1, and managed to connect all the other 2 PCs to have the shared printer.

I also have 2 more laptops (both Asus with the same Windows 10 1803) connected via WIFI. Performed all the same steps as per the desktops, but I was not able to access PC1. I was able to view all the 3 desktops from the file explorer, but I just can't access all the desktops. However, I was able to access the Asus laptops from desktop PC1.

Anyone able to assist on this matter? Any assistance is highly appreciated.

karyeowl, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Unable to access files on desktop

Quick Access bar

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty.

Remove items from Quick access.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps.

• Right click on the file or folder.
    • Select the option “unpin from the quick access”

To pin items to an item already on the quick access bar.

Follow the below steps.

I would suggest you to create folder in the desktop screen & place all the files or folder which need to pin to the quick access.

• Open the quick access.
    • Select the Desktop option.
    • Right click on the folder & select the option “pin to quick access”

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

Unable to access files on desktop

1. Unable to access files on desktop - Similar Threads - Unable access files

2. Unable to access SynlSDLL.dll file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access SynlSDLL.dll file: 'There was a problem starting SynlSDLL.dll file.'This error shows up when I try to access Additional Mouse Settings to disable Mouse acceleration.What should I do?...
  3. Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

Unable to access files on desktop from laptop: I'm going crazy. I am unable to access the shared folder on my desktop from my laptop... I've been trying... Can I please have some help? Desktop PC: Running Windows 10 Pro on ethernet cableLaptop: Running Windows 10 Home on WiFiLogged in with same MS account on both PC. When...
  4. Unable to access encrypted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to access encrypted files: I previously encrypted some files back in 2018. Fast forward to about a week ago and I got a security message about a potential security threat from a plugin I previously used, and that re-installing windows was a recommended action. I was OK with this, since I've had a...
  5. unable to access files

unable to access files: I am getting the error 0xc000007b when trying to load up various applications. I have done some research on the topic and ended up on one last thing I could try to do to fix it. I downloaded files that should be in the sysWOW64 folder because I would need to replace them....
  6. Unable to access my desktop computer

Unable to access my desktop computer: I am DONE with the MS login to my desktop with the MS account! When I enter my PIN I get a message saying " Your device is offline. Try a different sign-in method." The only option available then is "I forgot my PIN." When I select this I just get a wait for ten minutes...
  7. Unable to access files in desktop folders

Unable to access files in desktop folders: When I open a file folder on my desktop and attempt to open a PDF file nothing opens. I only get a spinning blue circle. My Adobe is up to date. I can open any PDF files that are received via email, but once I save them to the desktop they are no longer accessible....
  8. unable to access word files

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to access word files: Hi all, I turned on the comp this a.m. and clicked on a saved word doc and I got this message. Tried other docs but anything in word I try to open comes up with the same. Any ideas guys? Win version 1909 Office 2013 158189
  9. Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop: Both my laptop and my desktop operate on Windows 10 and I have followed previously successful steps for sharing files between the two computers. Why can I not access my desktop's files from my laptop suddenly, today? Did anybody else have the same problem? Could you please...
  10. unable to access files

unable to access files: i used bitlocker to encrypt usb drive and after updating windows to 10 can't open those files anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-files/a2b6ce15-31a4-402d-9f54-f0ac6d63276b"