Windows 10: Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the...

Discus and support Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; [ATTACH] So, I've run into this problem specifically because a game that I have through steam is stuck trying to update a mod in one folder that... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by HanH1, Jan 17, 2021.

1. HanH1 Win User

Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the...

Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the... 9b437eed-0326-4f13-bdce-52099ff01a56?upload=true.jpg

So, I've run into this problem specifically because a game that I have through steam is stuck trying to update a mod in one folder that neither steam nor I can access. I can't delete it, open it, or even look at its properties. It says I need administrator access in order to access the file, but even though my user account is the administrator AND the only user account on the computer, when I click ok, it fails and says access denied. This isn't a vital OS area, it's mod folder in a game directory under the steam parent folder.

:)

HanH1, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Geethu B Win User

Unable to access a folder, it denies permission

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with permission.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.1. Is the issue specific with a particular folder?

2. What is the complete error message?

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Permission issue.

• Corrupt User Account.

• Damaged files.

I suggest you to try the steps under the section Issue 1:
    I get an "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders
    in the following article and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Note:

1. Applies to Windows 10.

2. You may need to be logged on as an administrator to change file and folder permissions.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 17, 2021
  3. John Sarc Win User
    how an administrator can give permission to access folders

Hi John,

To provide user/s an access to folders, see the steps below on how to do so:

• Right-click on the folder > Security.
    • Under the Group or user names option, click on the username that you want to have an access to the folder; then, click on Edit.
    • It will show you the page of permissions which you can allow or deny.
    • Choose your desired permissions and click on OK.

Let us know what happens after following the steps given.

John Sarc, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the...

Folder won't open due to permission issue

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I understand your concern. Let me help you.

I suggest you to sign out from the current account, restart the computer and log in with Administrators account and

check if it helps to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to refer to the steps below and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

To open a file, you have to have the Read permission. To change the permissions of a file or folder, follow these steps.

Important you must be logged on as an administrator to change permissions on files and folders.

• Press and hold or right-click the file or folder, and then tap or click
      Properties.

• Tap or click the Security tab.

• Under Group or user names, tap or click your name to see the permissions that you have.

• Tap or click Edit, tap or click your name, select the check boxes for the permissions that you must have, and then click
      OK.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us with more information and we’d be happy to help.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the...

1. Unable to access folder due to permissions, despite being an administrator user and the... - Similar Threads - Unable access folder

2. HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...: I can't access certain system & windows folder files despite being the administrator and the only user on the computer.Some folders I can't delete it or even open it, or even edit it's properties. It says: "You don't currently have permissions to access this folder"When I...
  3. HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...: I can't access certain system & windows folder files despite being the administrator and the only user on the computer.Some folders I can't delete it or even open it, or even edit it's properties. It says: "You don't currently have permissions to access this folder"When I...
  4. HELP! "You have been denied permission to access this folder" Despite Being Administrator &...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to access folders, app due to deleted administration account.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access folders, app due to deleted administration account.: Hi, wanna ask some guide. I using my university Microsoft account on my laptop. The account is deleted. Now my laptop doesn't allow me to access my apps, folder as in download, picture, documents etc. I don't have any backup on the laptop and no other user. I did try to add...
  6. Unable to access folders, app due to deleted administration account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access folders, app due to deleted administration account.: Hi, wanna ask some guide. I using my university Microsoft account on my laptop. The account is deleted. Now my laptop doesn't allow me to access my apps, folder as in download, picture, documents etc. I don't have any backup on the laptop and no other user. I did try to add...
  7. Unable to access folders, app due to deleted administration account.

8. I don't have permissions over the majority of my PC despite user being an administrator

I don't have permissions over the majority of my PC despite user being an administrator: I reset my pc in various way multiple times in an attempt to fix this. Most permissions seem to be messed up.For the simplest example, I saved an image & when I try open it it says:"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...
  9. Access denied despite administrator permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied despite administrator permissions: Hi there,using this forum as a last resort because I'm at my wit's end.I have the Xbox Games app installed on my Windows 11 only updated a couple days ago machine and I don't seem to have any permissions on the game folders.If I go to "Accounts > Your info" it clearly shows...
  10. Access denied despite administrator permissions

Access denied despite administrator permissions: Hi there,using this forum as a last resort because I'm at my wit's end.I have the Xbox Games app installed on my Windows 11 only updated a couple days ago machine and I don't seem to have any permissions on the game folders.If I go to "Accounts > Your info" it clearly shows...