Windows 10: Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am unable to access my hard drive in Windows 10. When I right click on the drive name, select properties, select security and select advanced, I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DougalDarvill, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10

I am unable to access my hard drive in Windows 10. When I right click on the drive name, select properties, select security and select advanced, I am confronted with 'unable to display current owner: change. When I collect change I see ta box which asks me to select a user or group .. enter the 'object name'

Any ideas how to make this work please? In Windows 7 I could just plug the drive in...

Thanks

:)

DougalDarvill, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Unable to access Drives

Hi Suneel,

One of the reasons why you're unable to access your hard disk or an external hard drive is that these drives have been corrupted. For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Are you trying to access external hard drives or just partitioned drives on your PC?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

Just to make sure, kindly verify if your hard drive is reflected in your Device Manager. Kindly follow the steps listed below to check it:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Device Manager.
    • Under Disk drives, kindly check if there's an error on the hard drive listed.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10

Am unable to access my transcend external hard drive..

Beginning this afternoon I have been unable to access my hard drive
    When I plug it into my computer it keeps blinking and blinking light.
    Towards the tail end of the compter accessing it.
    What can i do?

purplekaycee, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10

1. Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable access hard

2. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  3. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  4. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.: When I try to access my external hard drive on my laptop, it just says that the drive is not available and that access is denied. I have a lot of important files on it so I would like to keep them if possible....
  5. My external hard drive is unable to be accessed.

6. Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk

Windows 10 unable to access external hard disk: Hello I wonder if anyone can assist at all? I use external hard disks for storing music and other media multimedia content, as well as for moving data between PCs. Earlier today though, all of a sudden, Windows was unable to access the drive the PC in question referred to as...
  7. No access to hard drive

No access to hard drive: I have a windows 10 and a hard drive that I can not access. It shows on the computer, when I click on it, either it freezes or nothing happens. Ive tried update drive and unistall but nothing seems to work. I have even tried switching usp ports, nothing seem to fix the...
  8. Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access data stored on external hard drive.: I am unable to access data that is stored on an external hard drive. I get an error message that says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." This is data I stored on this external drive. I have used this drive to store data off my computer and so off...
  9. Unable to access hard drive after encrypting it using Bitlocker

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to access hard drive after encrypting it using Bitlocker: Hi, I attached a removable hard drive with my office laptop. I mistakenly choose to bitlocker encryption. Bitlocker started encryption and stopped at 76%. After waiting for long time I removed it from laptop. After that I tried to read the data using my office laptop and home...
  10. Unable to access Samsung M3 Portable hard drive.

Unable to access Samsung M3 Portable hard drive.: my m3 was plugged into my windows 10 laptop, and was working, i turned my laptop back on and it said that it could read the files, i tried unplugging it and other computers, it shows in device manager but doesnt appear on the desktop, ive tried uninstalling and updating and...