Windows 10: Unable to access my files

Discus and support Unable to access my files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; HiI updated Windows this week.Last night I rebooted my laptop and now I can't access anything. Is this because of the update again as its happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by neiltaylor7, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Unable to access my files

HiI updated Windows this week.Last night I rebooted my laptop and now I can't access anything. Is this because of the update again as its happened before?How do I reverse the update?RegardsNeil

:)

neiltaylor7, Jul 11, 2021

2. Unable to access files, folders and other drivers, error: Working on it

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access files and folders in Windows Explorer, this issue might be due to corrupted or missing System files.

I suggest you to Run SFC scan and check if you are able to access Files and folders.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 11, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to access the files on your desktop from your laptop. However, we would like to know the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message/code?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer?

Ideally, to share files between two computers, they should be connected to the same network.

We would like to know if you are able to access the drive using the IP address. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type
      \\IPAddress
      (ex: 192.168.x.x) and check if you are able to access the drive.

If you get any error, please click on the drop down arrow in the error dialogue box and let us know the error.

Also, check the sharing permissions for the shared folder. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location on the PC through which the files are shared.
    2. Right click on the folder and select Properties.
    3. Click on Sharing tab, and click on
      Advanced Sharing.
    4. Now, select the checkbox for Share this folder.
    5. Click on Permissions, select the check box for
      Allow Full Control.
    6. Click on OK (Twice).

For more information, you may refer the suggestions provided by
    Roohi_Taj
    replied on November 28, 2018 in the thread
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to request access

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 11, 2021
  4. Unable to access my files

Unable to view photos and files as there is no permissions to access them on Windows 10

Hi Kiwi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the files, pictures on your device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to files and pictures?

I suggest you to follow the below steps to provide permission to the folder and check if that helps.

Steps to give permissions to the drive:

• Right-click on the folder which you’re unable to access and select
      Properties.

• Click on Security tab and under
      Group or user names
      click on Edit.

• Click on Add and type Everyone.

• Click on Check names and then click
      OK.

• Select Everyone and under
      Allow
      select Full control and click on
      Apply and Click Ok.

For reference go through the below article:

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the files and photos for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 11, 2021
Thema:

Unable to access my files

1. Unable to access my files - Similar Threads - Unable access files

2. unable to access files on ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to access files on ssd: Alright so here's my problem: My pc has a SSD and HDD. Windows was running on the SSD for over 2 years until 2 days ago when I suddenly got a blue screen with a hard disk 3F1 error. I attempted to repair and windows was unable to repair. I disconnected the SSD and loaded...
  3. Unable to access SynlSDLL.dll file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access SynlSDLL.dll file: 'There was a problem starting SynlSDLL.dll file.'This error shows up when I try to access Additional Mouse Settings to disable Mouse acceleration.What should I do?...
  4. Unable to access SynlSDLL.dll file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access SynlSDLL.dll file: 'There was a problem starting SynlSDLL.dll file.'This error shows up when I try to access Additional Mouse Settings to disable Mouse acceleration.What should I do?...
  5. Unable to access encrypted files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to access encrypted files: I previously encrypted some files back in 2018. Fast forward to about a week ago and I got a security message about a potential security threat from a plugin I previously used, and that re-installing windows was a recommended action. I was OK with this, since I've had a...
  6. unable to access files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to access files: I am getting the error 0xc000007b when trying to load up various applications. I have done some research on the topic and ended up on one last thing I could try to do to fix it. I downloaded files that should be in the sysWOW64 folder because I would need to replace them....
  7. unable to access word files

in Windows 10 Support
    unable to access word files: Hi all, I turned on the comp this a.m. and clicked on a saved word doc and I got this message. Tried other docs but anything in word I try to open comes up with the same. Any ideas guys? Win version 1909 Office 2013 158189
  8. Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop

Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop: Windows 10 tells me I have been denied access. It is my own file! How can I get permission to access the file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-my-music-files-on-laptop/01c1c26c-7f50-4947-971e-4c2acd42b90b"
  9. unable to access files

unable to access files: i used bitlocker to encrypt usb drive and after updating windows to 10 can't open those files anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-files/a2b6ce15-31a4-402d-9f54-f0ac6d63276b"
  10. Unable to access files on desktop

Unable to access files on desktop: Hello, I have this user that all most all of his files in this one folder on his desktop are locked. Can't open word docs, pdf's or powerpoint files. I wend thru a few steps that I found on line and was able to unlock a few by taking ownership of that folder. But not...