Windows 10: Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop

Discus and support Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 tells me I have been denied access. It is my own file! How can I get permission to access the file?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Maisie Kench, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop

Windows 10 tells me I have been denied access. It is my own file! How can I get permission to access the file?

:)

Maisie Kench, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to access the files on your desktop from your laptop. However, we would like to know the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message/code?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer?

Ideally, to share files between two computers, they should be connected to the same network.

We would like to know if you are able to access the drive using the IP address. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type
      \\IPAddress
      (ex: 192.168.x.x) and check if you are able to access the drive.

If you get any error, please click on the drop down arrow in the error dialogue box and let us know the error.

Also, check the sharing permissions for the shared folder. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Navigate to the location on the PC through which the files are shared.
    2. Right click on the folder and select Properties.
    3. Click on Sharing tab, and click on
      Advanced Sharing.
    4. Now, select the checkbox for Share this folder.
    5. Click on Permissions, select the check box for
      Allow Full Control.
    6. Click on OK (Twice).

For more information, you may refer the suggestions provided by
    Roohi_Taj
    replied on November 28, 2018 in the thread
    You do not have permission to access \\PC_NAME contact your network administrator to request access

Let us know the results.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 18, 2020
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop

Unable to access files, folders and other drivers, error: Working on it

Hi Paul,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access files and folders in Windows Explorer, this issue might be due to corrupted or missing System files.

I suggest you to Run SFC scan and check if you are able to access Files and folders.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop

1. Unable to access 'My Music' files on laptop - Similar Threads - Unable access 'My

2. Unable to access laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access laptop: I need bitlocker recovery key to access my laptop but I don't remember the outlook account I had used it to login at first time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-laptop/8d9c6b05-bbee-499b-93bd-8fe45b02c969
  3. Unable to access laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access laptop: I need bitlocker recovery key to access my laptop but I don't remember the outlook account I had used it to login at first time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-laptop/8d9c6b05-bbee-499b-93bd-8fe45b02c969
  4. Unable to access files on desktop from laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access files on desktop from laptop: I'm going crazy. I am unable to access the shared folder on my desktop from my laptop... I've been trying... Can I please have some help? Desktop PC: Running Windows 10 Pro on ethernet cableLaptop: Running Windows 10 Home on WiFiLogged in with same MS account on both PC. When...
  5. Unable to access my files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to access my files: HiI updated Windows this week.Last night I rebooted my laptop and now I can't access anything. Is this because of the update again as its happened before?How do I reverse the update?RegardsNeil...
  6. Unable to access laptop files using ethernet cable.

Unable to access laptop files using ethernet cable.: I am unable to access files of my one windows 10 laptop to another same laptop as an error pops up saying "The windows cant access the 'Laptop name' ". Please someone tell me the solution of this....
  7. unable to access files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to access files: I am getting the error 0xc000007b when trying to load up various applications. I have done some research on the topic and ended up on one last thing I could try to do to fix it. I downloaded files that should be in the sysWOW64 folder because I would need to replace them....
  8. Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop

Unable to access files on Desktop from laptop: Both my laptop and my desktop operate on Windows 10 and I have followed previously successful steps for sharing files between the two computers. Why can I not access my desktop's files from my laptop suddenly, today? Did anybody else have the same problem? Could you please...
  9. unable to access files

unable to access files: i used bitlocker to encrypt usb drive and after updating windows to 10 can't open those files anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-files/a2b6ce15-31a4-402d-9f54-f0ac6d63276b"
  10. access My Music files in file manager

access My Music files in file manager: how do i access My Music and My Pictures in file manager. i get an "access is denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-my-music-files-in-file-manager/2eb751ea-ea1e-4782-94d9-a75f9c0c74cd"