Windows 10: Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC

Discus and support Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Synology DS218J on SMB. I have been able to access it via Windows Explorer with \\hostname just fine, but since a few days ago it no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by scorcho, Apr 6, 2020.

1. scorcho Win User

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC

Hi,

I have a Synology DS218J on SMB. I have been able to access it via Windows Explorer with \\hostname just fine, but since a few days ago it no longer works. I get the following error message when I try to access a mapped drive within the NAS

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC f2ec4376-2008-448f-9d35-c9d49a656b03?upload=true.png

I get the following error message when I try to access the NAS hostname/IP address directly.

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC 8cf4a70d-a359-4d9e-9e41-26c78c006a74?upload=true.png

I can see the NAS hostname in red below when I view my network in Explorer

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC d6db4706-4e53-4c6c-8e65-fdbf78681280?upload=true.png

The Synology web portal works fine. I'm able to access it on my web browser. I'm also able to ping it just fine. I'm also able to access it on my Android device using the DS file app. However, I can't access it via Windows Explorer either via \\hostname or \\ipaddress.

I tried net use * /delete and then manually add the NAS root or the shared folders. Here are the results:

"net use X: \\hostname or IP address" - The network path was not found.

"net use X: \\hostname or IP address\SharedFolder" - System error 1790 has occurred. The network logon failed.

If I try the above net use command again, I'll get "System error 59 has occurred. An unexpected network error occurred."

I also tried the following:

"pushd \\hostname or IP address\SharedFolder" - I get either "The network path was not found", "The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated." or "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I've tried rebooting both my PC and the NAS, disablingthen re-enabling SMBv1, disabling IPv6, turning on network discovery and file and printer sharing though this should only affect my sharing of my PC right?, following the guide at https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/123419

I noticed in my Synology DSM settings that the workgroup is set as WORKGROUP. I also vaguely remember that Windows 10 stopped supporting HOMEGROUP/WORKGROUP in an earlier release. Could that be why? Why would it only stop working a few days ago though?

:)

scorcho, Apr 6, 2020
  2. Gino Des Win User

Windows 10 & NAS Box

Hi Peter,

A few possible reasons can cause this issue. To help us identify the cause of this problem, we would like to know the following information:

• How is your NAS box connected to your computer? (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, or USB)
    • Are you using a program provided by the manufacturer of your NAS box to access it?
    • Do you receive any error messages when accessing your NAS box? If yes, what is the exact error message?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you perform the solution provided by omiklik (Most Helpful Reply)
    in the following thread: Unable to see NAS drive on Network - Win 10 PC.

Keep us updated on the status of the issue, and we will be glad to assist you further.

Gino Des, Apr 6, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC

Windows 10 PC unable to access shared folder on NAS

My Windows 10 PC is unable to access a shared folder of my NAS.

The NAS does not appear under Network and when I try to enter the address \\mynas or \\<ip> I just have an error message "Windows cannot access \\mynas".

The NAS is correctly listed and I can browse the folders from an Android phone using several apps like Ghost commander or ES File manager.

I tried disabling the firewalls on the Windows 10 PC, it does not change anything. I have checked all the "network share" settings and everything seems ok.

So I did a packet capture using wireshark. And what happens is that everything goes well, at the start. Windows retrieve the NAS ip address from its netbios name and start the protocol negotiation. But as soon as Windows received the "Negotiate Protocol Response" from the NAS, it closes the TCP connection. Windows then does a 2nd try, but the same thing happens.

Here is the "Negotiate Protocol Request" sent by Windows:

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC 47aDM.png

Here is the "Negotiate Protocol Response" sent by the NAS:

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC gdcJv.png

The next packet is a TCP RST,ACK from Windows

Benjamin T, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC

1. Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC - Similar Threads - Unable access NAS

2. Windows Security unable to access NAS on SOHO LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security unable to access NAS on SOHO LAN: Hello,I have tried EVERYTHING I can find on the Error code search. I have spent in excess of 40hrs on this including with the NAS mftr ASUS, elevated Support and conclusion 'it is a Windows problem'.So, with all due respect and grateful of anyone who is prepared to 'dig deep'...
  3. Windows Security unable to access NAS on SOHO LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security unable to access NAS on SOHO LAN: Hello,I have tried EVERYTHING I can find on the Error code search. I have spent in excess of 40hrs on this including with the NAS mftr ASUS, elevated Support and conclusion 'it is a Windows problem'.So, with all due respect and grateful of anyone who is prepared to 'dig deep'...
  4. Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers: Inconsistent access to NAS file shares QNAP from Windows 10 DomainWhile there are more than just 2 machines in our environment, I will refer to a few as:Machine-1 : Everything works FineMachine-2 : Inconsistent Access to NASALL network settings with the exception of the...
  5. Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers: Inconsistent access to NAS file shares QNAP from Windows 10 DomainWhile there are more than just 2 machines in our environment, I will refer to a few as:Machine-1 : Everything works FineMachine-2 : Inconsistent Access to NASALL network settings with the exception of the...
  6. Unable to access NAS from Domain Computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Access to NAS from laptop

Access to NAS from laptop: Hello, I recently bought a NAS (Helios4) running on openmediavault. I installed the OS in the NAS, I then followed all the procedures to install openmediavault but I do not manage to see the NAS among my networks. I can enter the NAS from my pc by typing its IP and make...
  8. Unable to access NAS (WD Mycloud)

Unable to access NAS (WD Mycloud): I recently acquired and installed a WD Mycloud for the purpose of backing up all my computers, including my company's notebook. I cannot get the company notebook (Win 10 Enterprise) to see the Mycloud device. It does see all the other devices on my home network. All my other...
  9. unable to see or access NAS after windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to see or access NAS after windows 10 update: unable to see or access NAS after windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/unable-to-see-or-access-nas-after-windows-10/1e915666-30bf-49d9-a7eb-b54643245955
  10. Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer: I have 2 NAS drives connected to my network, one is a Buffalo NAS and the other is a LaCie NAS. When I try to access the NAS on my Windows 10 Pro PCs, I get a message stating Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can access the management console for...