Windows 10: unable to access network device

Discus and support unable to access network device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when trying to access another computer on home network i recieve network error "windows cannot access \\ desktop" that need permission from network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by steveromriell, Oct 13, 2018.

1. unable to access network device

when trying to access another computer on home network i recieve network error "windows cannot access \\ desktop" that need permission from network administrator (I thought I am the administrator)

:)

steveromriell, Oct 13, 2018

2. Unable to access network storage

Hi Pravin,

Network permission is one of the possible reasons why you can't access a drive within a network. To better assist you, we the answers to the following questions:

• Are you working with computers connected to a domain?
    • Did you make any changes on your computer prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest following the steps below to troubleshoot Shared Folders in Windows 10:

• On the Cortana search box, type Troubleshoot
      and select the first result.
    • Scroll down and click on Shared Folders.
    • Click the Run the troubleshooter button.

We are looking forward to your response.

Jefferson Ore, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Mystere Win User
    What is this network device?

This is a weird problem I've been seeing in windows for years now (not just windows 10). I've been unable to figure out what it is, but we're not alone in this, I did some research a while back and a lot of other people were seeing it as well.

Some suggest it's a bug in the network stack. Some suggest it's neighbors who are connecting somehow, but not able to use the network. Regardless, it's not an uncommon problem and doesn't seem to be anything worry about. Here's some examples:

Solved Strange phones in network - Windows 10 Forums
    Strange phones listed on Network heading

Mystere, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Seany1212 Win User

unable to access network device

Small business Wifi Network for 20-30 Devices?

I have been looking at this exact problem myself with the same range of numbers. I've found there are a wide range of choices and performance of the network very much depends on how much money you're willing to put into it.

Our wifi consisted of a single modem/router and the devices were only requesting internet access, the problem we were getting was either devices getting dropped off the network or just very little internet access at all when it was connected. From doing some studying I concluded that i could improve the performance by separating the roles, having a modem dealing with the connection to the outside world and DHCP and having a more powerful router handle the wireless devices (the router I was looking at was the model down from your suggested one, the Asus RT-N66U), you could probably go one further and add a low spec'd server box dealing with DHCP, DNS, etc. This was the cheapest option but left no real room for scaling up devices.

The other was as has been suggested, getting a wireless controller/gateway with multiple access points, obviously the cost scales higher but you also increase the overall capacity of the network with good performance, and usually with a good controller you can further add more access points to increase range/devices.

I think in this case it's very much you get what you pay for.

Seany1212, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

unable to access network device

1. unable to access network device - Similar Threads - unable access network

2. Unable to access shared devices on network.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access shared devices on network.: Hi, I'm setting up a small home network of three PCs C4-1, C4-2 and C4-3 that must be able to talk to each other and have their file system be accessed from another device. These PCs are all connected to the same router via ethernet cables and have been configured following...
  3. Unable to access shared devices on network.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access shared devices on network.: Hi, I'm setting up a small home network of three PCs C4-1, C4-2 and C4-3 that must be able to talk to each other and have their file system be accessed from another device. These PCs are all connected to the same router via ethernet cables and have been configured following...
  4. Unable to access shared devices on network.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 Network unable to access devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Network unable to access devices: Windows 11 Network can discover all of my devices, but I'm unable to access the data on the external hard-drives, and i can't see the devices in the Navigation Pane. My Windows 10 laptop can can access everything, and the Navigation Pane shows all of the devices. How can I do...
  6. Windows 11 Network unable to access devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Network unable to access devices: Windows 11 Network can discover all of my devices, but I'm unable to access the data on the external hard-drives, and i can't see the devices in the Navigation Pane. My Windows 10 laptop can can access everything, and the Navigation Pane shows all of the devices. How can I do...
  7. ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED - Unable to access the network.

ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED - Unable to access the network.: Hi Everyone, I've tried looking around the community to resolve my issue but do not seem to find a resolution that has helped. I have a Windows Surface Book running on Windows 10 and I am having issues connecting to certain public Wifi. I was using Mcafee firewall in the...
  8. Unable to access a network drive

Unable to access a network drive: I have a mapped network drive that I can see but cannot access. The message from " Windows Security" Enter network credentials to :HD name My Computer name Password I have entered my password from my computer. I have tried my network password neither works. I states...
  9. Unable to access Network drive

Unable to access Network drive: My laptop cannot open this external hard drive, it always used to. Troubleshooting hasn't helped and a chat didn't resolve anything either. The laptop sees the hard drive on the network but says it cannot open it. Any ideas? ***Title modified from: dlink 26BCD6***...
  10. Unable to access the device which are connected through Network Sharing

Unable to access the device which are connected through Network Sharing: I am trying to set up a Windows 10 1809 small local network of several computers so that Authenticated Users can interchange files freely. Several older machines are all up to date with windows 10 1803 and they can interchange files using the usual sharing mechanism (and...