Windows 10: Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have tried multiple solutions to troubleshoot or even just to distinguish what the problem is but nothing seems to work. 1.) I tried to copy and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JamaicaC, Dec 5, 2018.

1. JamaicaC Win User

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

I have tried multiple solutions to troubleshoot or even just to distinguish what the problem is but nothing seems to work.

1.) I tried to copy and paste a file from my desktop to the flash drive but saw this:

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10 ae605bd7-23b2-4b17-939e-80cc6d7a867b?upload=true.jpg

2.) Everyone including myself have permission to do everything in this drive but still will not let me. I am an administrator in this computer.

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10 5ba0989a-8b08-43e5-984c-06050b9619c8?upload=true.jpg

3.) It will also not let me write on it or open any file inside the usb drive. I already reformatted this drive to NTFS partition. It was Fat32 prior. It all just gives me access denied error message.

Where else can I check to see if some settings are not configured correctly? I would just like to be able to transfer and write files to and from this computer. But any flash drive I insert don't seem to be working (giving me access denied errors). I would appreciate your help in this matter. Thank you.

:)

JamaicaC, Dec 5, 2018
  2. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 5, 2018
  3. Unable to open the files on my flash drive on windows 10.

Hi Kiezan,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand your concern on flash drive dysfunctional on Windows 10 and I'd be glad to help you.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions regarding the query:

• Do you get any error message, when you try to open the files in flash drive?

• Can you access other USB devices connected to the computer?
    I suggest you to check, whether USB flash drive is shown in the file explorer and try to open the files from there.

This issue could occur due to outdated, corrupted or incorrect settings of Universal Serial Bus controllers on Windows 10.

If you are unable to find the drive in File Explorer, please refer to the suggestions of ThofikhAhamad, replied on September 5, 2015, to fix your issue with flash drive.

Can't Open USB Flash Drive in Windows 10:

Can't Open USB Flash Drive in Windows 10

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Dec 5, 2018
  4. Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

Unable to access flash drive after copying the files on Windows 10.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the Flash drive on your computer. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • What happens when you try to erase/ delete/ format the drive?
    • Is the desktop running on Windows 10 operating system?
    • How exactly are you trying to access the drive on your system?

If you are connecting the drive through ports, I suggest you to connect to different ports and check if it helps.

Also, as the drive was unable to be accessed on both the system, this might be an issue with the hard drive as well.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and with the required information for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10

1. Unable to access (read and write) USB flash drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable access read

2. USB Flash drive - very slow writes, but read speeds are fine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Flash drive - very slow writes, but read speeds are fine: Suddenly one of my USB Flash drives has become very slow to write to. I'm seeing 'peak' write speeds measured in KB/sec, not MB/sec. However, there are no write errors, and once written files can be read at normal speeds. All my other USBs work normally, just this one is...
  3. USB flash drive is write protected

USB flash drive is write protected: So, I was installing windows xp on one old pc, and downloaded some drivers for it. In one of it was msvcp100.dll and msvcr100.dll. I decided to move all those drivers to my usb flash drive, cut - paste, but in the process I got bsod. Now USB flash drive have some errors what...
  4. USB Flash drives write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drives write protected: Recently my four USB flash drives were write protected by Windows 10 Pro. I am using a version 2004. How can I removed the write protection. I have tried the DISKPART, REGEDIT, search the net, but to no help. Can anyone help me on this please. [ATTACH] Thank you Ricky...
  5. USB flash drive write protected

USB flash drive write protected: I am trying to understand the programing of a USB Flash drive from the manufacturers. I understand the microcontrollers. I can understand PIC Erom type memory chips. I am unsure of how the program for the write protect is set from the computer into the microcontroller of the...
  6. Write Protected USB FLASH DRIVE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Write Protected USB FLASH DRIVE: i have usb that i create write ptotection in my other pc and that pc is broken. how can i remove the write protection on this usb? a app or procedure you know that may help me. i have try hdd low level format app/usb flash drive format app nothing happen. i try cmd command...
  7. USB Flash Drives Are Write Protected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    USB Flash Drives Are Write Protected: Hello Everyone, This is a bout many years that I am not able to solve the "Write Protected" USB flash drive's problem however I searched a lot on google, studied many forums and tried different ways such as: editing windows registry, running diskpart commands and using some...
  8. USB Flash drive is write protected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Flash drive is write protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write protected" error, please? Thanks in advance!...
  9. USB Flash drive is write-protected

USB Flash drive is write-protected: Hello, When I insert my pendrive into my windows 10 PC, it says I have to format it before I use it. But when I format it, it says the pendrive is "write-protected" and can't format it. How can I solve this "write-protected" error, please? Thanks in advance! Tanzil ***...
  10. Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds

Flash drive reads/writes at inconsistent speeds: I work on a lot of large .rtf files in Office. Sometimes when I click _Save_, the window freezes and gives me a loading wheel for 10 or 15 seconds before the document finally saved. Sometimes (less often) the file saves almost instantly. It's completely unaffected by how many...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to read usb drive windows 10