Windows 10: Unable to access Screen Saver settings

Discus and support Unable to access Screen Saver settings in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am using Win. 10. When I go to settings and click 'Change Screen Saver", a window pops up that says: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe "Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Lizard Face, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Unable to access Screen Saver settings

I am using Win. 10. When I go to settings and click 'Change Screen Saver", a window pops up that says:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions for the item."

This is extremely annoying because it is set to screen saver after about 10 seconds of inactivity. Please let me know if anyone knows a solution. Thanks!

:)

Lizard Face, Nov 4, 2019

2. Cannot access Screen saver settings on Windows 10.

Hi David,

The above issue might occur due to the following:

• You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.
    • The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the computer.
    • The file has been moved or deleted.
    • The file or shortcut is corrupt.
    • The file may be blocked by Windows.
    • Your antivirus security software may be blocking the file.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• How are you accessing screen saver settings (via Control panel or
      Settings page)?
    • Did you check if you have necessary permissions to access the settings?
    • Do you have any third party antivirus security software installed on the computer?

If you are trying to change the screen saver settings via Control panel check if you are facing similar issue Windows
    Settings page. To do so, follow the steps below and check if similar issue persists.

• Press Windows logo + I keys on the keyboard to open
      Settings
      page.
    • Click on Personalization and select Lock screen from the left side panel of the window.
    • Scroll down on the right side of the window and click on Screen saver settings.
    • Check if the changes are effective.

If the issue persists, check if the action is blocked by the antivirus security software installed on the computer.

Write to us with the status of unable to access screen saver settings on the PC in the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Screen Saver/Desktop/Screen Saver

Hi Jim,

The issue you encountered with screen saver can be due to incorrect screen saver settings. To better isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following:

• Have you tried changing the screen saver settings?
    • Are you trying to off the the screen saver?

Meanwhile, you can follow these steps to turn off your screen saver:

• Open Settings and Select Personalization.
    • Click Lock screen, scroll down and choose Screen saver settings.
    • Choose None in the drop-down menu.
    • Select Apply.
    • Click OK.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Unable to access Screen Saver settings

screen saver

Hi Jack,

Thank you for using Windows10.

Let us know what happens exactly when you try to set the screen-saver or put the computer to sleep.

I would suggest you to review he settings and check. Here is the steps:

To change Screen Saver:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Screen Saver and click on Change Screen Saver.
    • Select the screensaver from the drop down menu and click on Apply.
    • Click on OK.
    To put the computer in sleep:

• Press Windows/Start key.
    • Type Power and click on Power Options.
    • Select Change when the computer sleeps in the left panel.
    Reply with the updated status for further help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

Unable to access Screen Saver settings

1. Unable to access Screen Saver settings - Similar Threads - Unable access Screen

2. How to set desktop screen saver

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to set desktop screen saver: How can I set my desktop screen saver. I've gone to settings and tried to no avail* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-desktop-screen-saver/16486e24-c9ae-4ade-81db-e57cc23665ae
  3. How to set desktop screen saver

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to set desktop screen saver: How can I set my desktop screen saver. I've gone to settings and tried to no avail* Moved from Community Center https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-desktop-screen-saver/16486e24-c9ae-4ade-81db-e57cc23665ae
  4. Bug in "Screen Saver Settings"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bug in "Screen Saver Settings": If a user does not have any image files in their "Libraries\Pictures" folder, the user is given a repeating error message in "Screen Saver Settings". See the screenshot below. [ATTACH]...
  5. Screen saver setting no work

Screen saver setting no work: When the screen saver option loads, it doesn't work, same with backgrounds. Waiting does not work.[IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/screen-saver-setting-no-work/cd39cf15-1168-4cc2-9642-7c1ad7356f2a
  6. how to change screen saver settings

how to change screen saver settings: want to change amount of time before screen saver turns on. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-screen-saver-settings/0b1bf1e5-ce2b-499b-b89a-477afd7195cc
  7. Changing Screen Saver settings on PC

Changing Screen Saver settings on PC: There must be some way to increase the time to allow Windows update t****sh the desktop goes to bubbles and turn to black and blocks the update to finish. the circling little dots are not enough to keep it open long enough to install. ***Original title: How do I change...
  8. Screen Saver Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen Saver Settings: I have a Windows 10 version 1809 and when doing some testing on screen saver settings for 2 minutes before going to a screen saver with a password. on my test computer via GPO one of the GP spilled over to my production computer. I have removed the GPO and the from the...
  9. Screen Saver Settings

Screen Saver Settings: My Screen Saver Settings get reset every time I reboot. Specially, the "tick" in "on resume, Display log-on screen" gets unticked so that my screen doesn't lock. Any idea how I can stop this happening?...
  10. Windows 10 screen saver settings

Windows 10 screen saver settings: How do I add transition effects on a "screen saver slideshow" for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-screen-saver-settings/091b4436-9d0b-4452-8f1e-fcee0c94e7af