Windows 10: Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change

Discus and support Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I manage my home theatre and music servers via remote desktop. Both have wired connections to the router. All has been well for many years.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dch53, Jun 2, 2019.

1. dch53 Win User

Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change

Hi,

I manage my home theatre and music servers via remote desktop. Both have wired connections to the router.

All has been well for many years.

Recently our old modem/router was replaced with a new one. There have been no other changes.

While I can still remote into the home theatre server I am no longer able to remote into the music server:

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer....

What I can do is:

• ping the music server
    • bring up shares on the music server on another computer
    • access the music server using TeamViewer

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can use remote desktop to manage my music server again please?

:)

dch53, Jun 2, 2019

2. How to connect Remote Desktop in Windows Mobile 6.5 to W7 server behind router

Hi

I'm struggling to set up a Remote Desktop connection from a Windows Mobile 6.5 device to a Windows 7 server hiding behind a router (Port 3389 forwarded).

It seems to be a Mobile Remote Desktop Client issue because

• The remote desktop connection works fine when accessed from another PC (W7 or XP) whether through the LAN (192.168.x.x) or the external IP 188.220.xxx.yyy but all I get on the WM6,5 device is Status Connecting . . .
    • The connection from the WM6.,5 device to the server is fine because if I type the server external IP address into the WM6.5 browser, I get a web page with the servers published webapps.

I couldn't find Remote Desktop on the device or a download a version specific to WM6.5 so I downloaded RD6.1 which posts say works with WM6.5

In the screen where you fill in the connection details I've tried

the external IP address of the router 188.220.xxx.yyy

the external IP address of the router 188.220.xxx.yyy:3389

the dynamicDNS name of the router.

and in all cases all I get is the message 'connecting'

and I've tried it with wifi connected to the routers external IP and also my neighbour's wifi.

What am I missing?

FredDibbler, Jun 2, 2019
  3. Kursah Win User
    Unable to access my router

That address is a default loopback in the range when it is not statically setup or picking up DHCP. That range works fine for peer-2-peer on a local-level, but is only used when no DHCP server is detected.

You need to point it to your DHCP server or give it a static IP address (recommended) in the IP address range that your DHCP server is managing (your other router/gateway for your site).

So what is handing out IP addresses on your network? A server? A router?

If you want to set this router up as an AP, you made sure DHCP was disabled then correct? I'm assuming it is, but then using DD-WRT (which I have a Hyper-V VM of atm, so I can boot it up and mess around to work through this with u)...you need to make sure your WAN is setup for DHCP as well, or give it a static IP address that's in your network's range.

There are other options yet, but let's get a connection going first.

Need more details about your site's network setup to really know how to help you correctly...all I can do is give blind suggestions based on assumptions. So list out what you have (kind of like you'd want to list out your PC system specs if you were experiencing a crashing/hardware issue and needed help).

Kursah, Jun 2, 2019
  4. Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change

Unable to access my router

1. I already have a gateway configured in my house, so no, i'm not relying on this router for internet. However, I plan to make this into an access point in the very near future.

2.This is what I'm getting when i follow that step....

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.205.6(Preferred
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

So with this i tried 169.254.205.1 with unlucky results :/

Mrblack761, Jun 2, 2019
Thema:

Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change

1. Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change - Similar Threads - Unable access server

2. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  3. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to connect via Remote Desktop: Hi,I am unable to connect via Remote Desktop using 2 Win-10-Pro computers.The error message I get is that another session has already started. Both computers are on my home network and I can see the shared drives and access them.Its just the Remote desktop can not connect...
  4. Unable to connect via Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to access external network via remote desktop services.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access external network via remote desktop services.: Dear Team,Unable to access external network via remote desktop service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-external-network-via-remote/632c2f22-246e-46e5-8156-967870e43774
  6. Unable to access external network via remote desktop services.

Unable to access external network via remote desktop services.: Dear Team,Unable to access external network via remote desktop service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-access-external-network-via-remote/632c2f22-246e-46e5-8156-967870e43774
  7. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP: I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain. I'm not able to acces the Server from Windows 10 Domain Clients by its Name but can do so with IP. When I ping Server name from problem computers I get the correct Server IP. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns with no success.When I try to...
  8. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP: I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain. I'm not able to acces the Server from Windows 10 Domain Clients by its Name but can do so with IP. When I ping Server name from problem computers I get the correct Server IP. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns with no success.When I try to...
  9. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

10. Router remote access settings?

Router remote access settings?: Dear all I was looking through my Router settings, and this one confused me: Screenshot by Lightshot 1. Does it mean remote acccess to my network, or only remote access to the router? 2. The setting below, does it mean, that now everyone can get access to my network or...