Windows 10: Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN

Discus and support Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an OpenVPN set up on my router and I'm able to connect to it to access my router, switch, NAS, etc via browser on my phone. I'm also able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by monumental, May 1, 2019.

1. Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN

I have an OpenVPN set up on my router and I'm able to connect to it to access my router, switch, NAS, etc via browser on my phone. I'm also able to access shared files from my Windows 10 computer on my phone using a file manager app (Solid Explorer). However, I'm not able to access my windows shared folders over OpenVPN. I am assigning a different subnet to OpenVPN connections, is that the issue? Any way to resolve it and keep separate subnets?

:)

monumental, May 1, 2019
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

DTG1, May 1, 2019
  3. swec Win User
    OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work

I did more investigation on OpenVPN client in W10 32bit virtual, because it is almost clean default installation of W10. There never been antivirus other than Microsoft Deffender, only several applications which should not affect anything about network.

I have for testing two OpenVPN servers, let's name them First and Second, both connection works in that level i can ping through VPN to the server and access to other protocols.

Both OpenVPN servers, and all clients running latest stable version 2.4.6.

In First VPN SMB still doesn't work.

In Second VPN SMB works perfectly.

In First VPN are TCP ports 137, 138, 139, 445 forwarded from VPN to other older machine. But it works on other W10 client through OpenVPN and some local W10 clients, then i was believe it is all configured properly. It runs SAMBA 3.6x.

In Second is running SAMBA 4.5.x on the server directly, available only in VPN.

And it is the problem. Older SAMBA is not too old (it is patched) to not be able work with W10, but there was set option for WXP, to be able login- Fortnatelly, WXP are no longer needed in that network, but that option was forgotten in the configuration.

Anyway...

Problem was with option "max protocol = nt1", should be "max protocol = smb2", and maybe some others

Yes, i know it was insecure. But it is very small network, with only few computers, mostly older ones.

I still blame stupidity of W10, because it should say something like "ERROR, old insecure protocol", not just display generic and universal error message which can occurst in thousand other situations. Diagnose button never help.

Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN [​IMG]

And mark OpenVPN network as public it is weird too. It is totally opposite, We are using VPN's almost always to be private, aren't we?

swec, May 1, 2019
  4. swec Win User

Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN

OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work

Hello, i still didn't found solution for this.

I have some Linux servers with latest versions of OpenVPN and some OpenVPN clients. OpenVPN works just fine, access from Linux or Windows 7 clients too. There is no problem. I am very sure Samba, firewall and OpenVPN server are configured correctly.

Problem is with Windows 10 and i am not sure when it started, maybe after some last update. I don't know.

Problem is - the network through virtual network adapter "TAP-Windows Adapter V9" is always identified as public and there is no user accessible option how i can configure it as private network.

I found command for powershell in this thread (Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials), but it doesn't help permanently and it doesn't enable access to SMB share anyway. I can even reconfigure all unknown networks in secpol.msc as private, which i believe is very insecure behavior, but for testing i tried it. It didn't help either.

I have for testing two notebooks and one virtual installation (QEMU). On one notebook access to Samba share works just fine, on virtual and second notebook it does't. It is same OpenVPN, same key for notebooks (why not if they are not connected at a same time) and different key for virtual.

I am using OpenVPN GUI, which is running as W10 service under system priviledges. I have set DNS and route by push parameters in OpenVPN config on server, i have propper server key verification. There is no warning in OpenVPN log.

When access to the SMB share doesn't work, W10 displays error message "0x80004005" which i beleive means it is blocked by local W10 firewall, because "Network discovery" is disabled for public networks.

In one case i tried explicitly allow all trafic from and to the IPv4 address of my server in VPN for all protocols. It didn't help either.

On virtual is no additional firewall/antivirus. On one of notebooks, which does'n work, is installed AVG, but without firewall module.

Question is
    - how i can override this behavior?
    - how i can tell W10, my OpenVPN network is safe and private?
    - how i can do more diagnostics? Wireshark? What i should investigate?

swec, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN

1. Unable to access shared files over OpenVPN - Similar Threads - Unable access shared

2. Unable to access txt file in shared folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access txt file in shared folder: Hi,I am not able to access txt file in my shared folder. I can access others files except txt file. But when I am using another laptop, I can access all files.Can someone please give me a hand? Thank you....
  3. Unable to connect to my NAS (Running on Win10) over OpenVPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to connect to my NAS (Running on Win10) over OpenVPN: I have OpenVPN setup as a VPN tunnel back to my home network, where I can remotely manage my servers/networking equipment. Almost everything works fine except for my NAS. Im running Windows 10 (i know, its not great, im planning on getting an actual storage server and not...
  4. How to access shared drives when VPN'd into network? OpenVPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to access shared drives when VPN'd into network? OpenVPN: Hi all, I've recently purchased a Linksys WRT-3200 ACM router and have turned on the pre-configured OpenVPN Server on the Linksys Smart-WiFi firmware. I have create a user profile and certificate, which I then shared with a client machine (Windows 10) and successfully...
  5. Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet

Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet: 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH! 3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^) 4)...
  6. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  7. Permission issues to access files shared over a network

Permission issues to access files shared over a network: From computer B, I don't have permission to access a path on computer A. However certain folders on computer A show up on computer B and are accessible. On computer A the folder has been set to share. Kaspersky on computer A has been temporarily disabled. Why are some...
  8. Cannot access files over Network Sharing

Cannot access files over Network Sharing: After a good deal of bad words about the removal of homegroup and about the "easy" Windows 10 file sharing, squeezing my brain to the last neuron and thanks to the help of the community too ... *** I succeeded in having my 2 PCs on my home network visible one each other on...
  9. OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work

OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work: Hello, i still didn't found solution for this. I have some Linux servers with latest versions of OpenVPN and some OpenVPN clients. OpenVPN works just fine, access from Linux or Windows 7 clients too. There is no problem. I am very sure Samba, firewall and OpenVPN server are...
  10. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...