Windows 10: Unable to access SMB file sharing

Discus and support Unable to access SMB file sharing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bassel-IT, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Bassel-IT Win User

Unable to access SMB file sharing

Hi,

While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder.

Please advise

Thanks

:)

Bassel-IT, Jul 17, 2019
  2. Glubbish. Win User

problem accessing smb shares from windows 10

With network discovery on, my ubuntu machine is found (named kodi).

If I check on kodi in the network section of file explorer, it shows my shares.

If I doubleclick on one of the shares, a slow green line crosses the top of the screen and eventually gives the 0x800704cf

If I dont touch this popup, then I can access the share normally.

If I cancel or diagnose (which finds nothing) it is not available.

However if I enter \\ip-address at the top of file explorer it finds the shares and they are immediately accessible.

Also if I turn network discovery off, and type \\kodi at the top of file explorer, it works just like using the IP address

I figure this has something to do with dns, but cannot get network discovery to work properly

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Its only been an issue since the upgrade to windows 10.

Method 1: Run the Network Adapter troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Network Adapter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

The issue persists following method 1.

Method 2: Update driver manually.

I suggest you to update the Graphic driver from the Device Manager and check if it works.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on Start button and click on Device Manager.
    • Extend Network adapters driver from the list.
    • Right click on the Network driver and click on Update driver Software.

Method 2 shows that the driver is up to date.

Glubbish., Jul 17, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to find Windows 10 computer on the Network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to locate the computer running on Windows 10 on the Network, we will look into this for you. However, please reply with the details to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps:

• Are you able to see the Windows 10 computer under Network in File Explorer?
    • Do you receive any error message when you try to access the computer through File Explorer?
    • Have you changed the Startup type of the services to Automatic?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

Method 1: Enabling SMB

As you have mentioned that SMB 1 is disabled, we can enable SMB 1 and check if that resolves the issue. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
    3. Click on 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' (upper left side of pane).
    4. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, select the boxes next to
      SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already selected, please clear the box and select it again.
    5. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please
      Restart
      it.

Method 2: Modify Network Discovery Settings

If enabling SMB 1 didn’t fix the issue, then we can modify the Network Discovery settings and check if that helps. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to control panel > Click on network and internet >
      Click on network and sharing.
    2. Click on Change advance sharing settings on the left pane.
    3. Select the options
    • Turn on network discovery.
    • Turn on file and printer sharing.
    • Allow windows to manage home group connection(recommended).
    • Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the public folders.
    • Use 128-bit encryption to help protect files sharing connections (recommended).
    • Turn off password protected sharing.
    4. Click on Save changes.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 17, 2019
  4. A._R. Win User

SMB-Share not found

Hello together,

i have a problem and i'm troubleshooting since 15 hours.

I installed a new Windows Server 2016 (nano without GUI), added it to my domain, assigned my default GPO also applied on all my other servers, installed the fileserver with work-folders and deduplication.

Now i cannot access the SMB-Shares, neither the default admin shares, nor a newly created smb-share on a different drive for testing. I always receive the message "The network path was not found" (Error Code: 0x80070035)

Event-Viewer shows the event 30803 in the SMBClient:

Failed to establish a network connection.

Error: {Device Timeout}

The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired.

Server name: SERVERNAME

Server address: 192.168.101.24:445

Connection type: Wsk

Guidance:

This indicates a problem with the underlying network or transport, such as with TCP/IP, and not with SMB. A firewall that blocks TCP port 445, or TCP port 5445 when using an iWARP RDMA adapter, can also cause this issue.

The client tries to access is also Windows Server 2016 or Windows 10, both doesn't work.

Already checked Windows Update, disabled SMBv1, disabled SMBv2 and changed back to SMBv1, opened SMB-Firewall Ports recommended by Microsoft (also tried disable the Firewall, without success)

Permissions are also okay, access won't work with \\Servername\share, \\IP-Address\share, \\servername.domain\share

I can access from the File-Server other SMB-shares without problems, also can open the local shares with IP-Address or Servername

Also checked the Get-SMBServerConfiguration and changed settings similar to my other servers

A._R., Jul 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to access SMB file sharing - Similar Threads - Unable access SMB

2. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  3. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  4. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB

Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing SMB: I searched and found an article similar to this one on Microsoft's site: https://www.fonepaw.com/windows/access-denied-folder-file-windows.html And from my diagnosis I have trouble accessing EFS encrypted files and folders....
  6. Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing (SMB)

Cannot access EFS encrypted files/folders using File Sharing (SMB): I searched and found an article similar to this one on Microsoft's site: How to Fix Access Denied Folder/File Errors on Windows 10/8/7 And from my diagnosis I have trouble accessing EFS encrypted files and folders. 'Network Error', 'Windows cannot access... You do not have...
  7. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  8. Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share

Notepad is unable to open txt files on an SMB share: After updating from Windows 10 version 1803 to version 1909, I cannot open .txt files that have been saved to SMB shares using Notepad. The files work correctly with other applications like Notepad++, and they also worked correctly before the update. Unfortunately the error...
  9. Entering a SMB share

Entering a SMB share: Hi everyone, in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android. From that app i'm requested for user e psw. SMB protocol are active: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>...
  10. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN: Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address. I can't however access any of my mapped drives. I've tried allowing all SMB rules in...