Windows 10: Unable to access task manager after changing group policy for recovery settings

Discus and support Unable to access task manager after changing group policy for recovery settings in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I found a new policy for 1803 that hides certain pages of PC settings. I want to remove access to advanced startup, so I blocked Recovery through the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AndrewEcker, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Unable to access task manager after changing group policy for recovery settings

I found a new policy for 1803 that hides certain pages of PC settings. I want to remove access to advanced startup, so I blocked Recovery through the GPO with "hide: Recovery." This worked fine, but I then realized that Task Manager was completely blocked from access even by the local admin account. I am not sure what caused this, but removing this policy did not bring back TaskMgr, and regedit now has DisableTaskMgr for each profile reverting to 1 even after setting it to 0 and removing the policy. I can confirm this is caused by the GPO from testing. Does anyone have a resolution for this?

***Original title: Group Policy for Hiding Recovery Results in Unexpected loss of Task Manager***

:)

AndrewEcker, Nov 14, 2018
  2. fdegrove Win User

Group Policy on home machine?!?!?!?!?

Hi,

Had the same issue on a number of occasions. This is what solved it for me:

Steps to fix 'Some settings are managed by your organization' message in Windows 10
    Make sure you have administrator rights and follow the steps below:

Step 1: Launch Run prompt by right clicking the Windows Start menu icon. Type in gpedit.msc and click OK or Enter.
    Step 2: In Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc), go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Data Collection and Preview Builds.
    Step 3: Find the Allow Telemetry item and double-click it to edit the policies.
    Step 4: Change the setting to Enabled. Change the drop-down menu entry to 3-Full and click Apply.
    Step 5: Now open the item again and change its Setting to Not configured and hit the Save button.
    The message should no longer stop you from accessing various system settings in Windows 10.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 14, 2018
  3. Unlocking Restricted Access Due To Group Policy Setting

Thanks again for the reply.

I followed your suggested steps, but even though the user shows as being added and active it does not appear on the sign in page as an alternative account.

Maybe I am giving the command in the wrong directory. When I boot into the recovery environment the directory in command prompt is: x:\windows\system32

I ran the command from here. But the new added user did not appear on the sign in page.

I also used the diskpart and list volume command to check on which partition windows is installed. I changed directory to c:\> and again followed your steps. But again the new added user did not appear on the sign in page.

Can you please give me more instructions on how to remedy my foolish Group Policy restriction?

OROB_KEIMOES, Nov 14, 2018
  4. Unable to access task manager after changing group policy for recovery settings

group policy editor

Hi Tony,

Group Policy Editor in Windows is a tool to help you manage policy settings. Here's how you can access the Local Group Policy Editor:

• Press Win+R to open Run.
    • Type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.

Let us know how else we can help.

Patricia Yu, Nov 14, 2018
Thema:

Unable to access task manager after changing group policy for recovery settings

1. Unable to access task manager after changing group policy for recovery settings - Similar Threads - Unable access task

2. Group policy power management sleep settings not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Group policy power management sleep settings not working: I have power management sleep settings configured via group policy - to allow network connectivity during connected standby. It's been working fine up until a few weeks ago. Now wifi connectivity is disabled when my laptop sleeps - despite the group policy configuration. I...
  3. ms-settings with Group Policy Management not allowing full access for Administrators

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ms-settings with Group Policy Management not allowing full access for Administrators: Need to setup access to all settngs in control panel ms-settings for administrators but block certain ms-settings for users using Group Policy management. Any suggestions?...
  4. ms-settings with Group Policy Management not allowing full access for Administrators

in Windows 10 Customization
    ms-settings with Group Policy Management not allowing full access for Administrators: Need to setup access to all settngs in control panel ms-settings for administrators but block certain ms-settings for users using Group Policy management. Any suggestions?...
  5. ms-settings with Group Policy Management not allowing full access for Administrators

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Help Changing Group Policy settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help Changing Group Policy settings: [ATTACH] Can someone please explain how to change my settings so none of my 'settings is managed by my organisation'? I would be very greatfull https://preview.redd.it/zoqpquteae161.png?width=399&format=png&auto=webp&s=2a0be310619ca33dcfd381aa87cccb8f6174073d...
  7. accessing group policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    accessing group policy: want to turn on windows defender. a message says it is turned off in group policy. how do i access group policy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/accessing-group-policy/857da2c3-3460-4076-9433-31950a3fdaf0
  8. Group Policy for Hiding Recovery Results in Unexpected loss of Task Manager

Group Policy for Hiding Recovery Results in Unexpected loss of Task Manager: I found a new policy for 1803 that hides certain pages of PC settings. I want to remove access to advanced startup, so I blocked Recovery through the GPO with "hide: Recovery." This worked fine, but I then realized that Task Manager was completely blocked from access even by...
  9. Group Policy Settings

Group Policy Settings: I just installed an update, lost my Stickies - destroying my world, & my default app settings are changing on their own. I contacted Microsoft after exhausting all available info online, had a remote session, 2 chats, and it is still broken. Does anyone know the steps to...
  10. Group Policy management console

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Group Policy management console: Hi It is the possible to disable the print screen button in window 10 computer via group policy management console. kindly suggest the useful article. Regards, vetrivel G...