Windows 10: Unable to access the Users folder when tried to use it from an external Harddrive.

Discus and support Unable to access the Users folder when tried to use it from an external Harddrive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My old laptop Dell Inspiron 5559 crashed due to a motherboard defect and I took out its part to use it as an external hard drive system for my other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shivam Sahil, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Unable to access the Users folder when tried to use it from an external Harddrive.

My old laptop Dell Inspiron 5559 crashed due to a motherboard defect and I took out its part to use it as an external hard drive system for my other new laptop. To my surprise, I am able to access all the folders except for the Users folder. Does anyone know what's going wrong with this and how can I fix this? I definitely don't want to lose the data I have saved under users/documents or users/image or users/videos.I have also added a screenshot for reference.Also, my hard drive is SSD and it was disk partitioned into two drives when I was using it with my old laptop.

:)

Shivam Sahil, Jun 19, 2021

2. Unable to access folders in external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you are unable to access the files and folders from external hard drive, do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you logged in as an administrator?
    • How have you connected the hard drive to Windows 10 computer?
    • Were you able to see any error code along with the error message?
    • Is this issue specific only with the files and folders in the external drive?
    • Have you tried to access these files on different computer?

Reply to the post with required information and brief description about the issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 19, 2021
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Unable to access the Users folder when tried to use it from an external Harddrive.

Error Access Denied while acessing the folders from User> AppData folders on Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with access files and folders.

Do let us know the complete error code/ error message of this issue?

As you have tried with providing the permissions to each folder and issue persists after the restart, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to disable the third party anti-virus software if installed any and check.

Step 2: As, as a work around, I suggest you to enable the built-in administrator account and check if this issue persists.

Steps to enable Built-in administrator.

• Press Windows + X key together on your desktop screen.
      • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open Command Prompt.
      • Type the following command and hit Enter:
    • net user administrator /active: yes (Check for the spaces)
       4. Now log off from the current user and try to login to the administrator account that is enabled.  

Note: Please follow the same steps and type net user administrator /active: no to disable admin account after the troubleshooting is done. 

Step 3: I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article with 3-diffrent issues related to accessing the files and folders and check if it helps.

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

Unable to access the Users folder when tried to use it from an external Harddrive.

1. Unable to access the Users folder when tried to use it from an external Harddrive. - Similar Threads - Unable access Users

2. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  3. When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer...: When I try to copy files or folders from external-to-external drives using file explorer windows 11 the files show that they copied but when i check the folders they are empty. Is there a program that I can use and bypass explorer to copy from and to external drives? or if...
  4. Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Having some problems accessing files/folders on an external harddrive.: I recently bought two external HDD's to start backing up my files to photos, clips, etc. When I got them I formatted them both on NTFS from the W10 pc. I got all my old drives and backing up everything to one of the new ones the other one is meant as a secondary...
  5. Unable to delete a folder on harddrive

Unable to delete a folder on harddrive: Hi all! I have a problem in deleting a folder on one of my drive in my hard drive. There is a folder with strange numbers as its name and it is an empty folder, when I try to delete it, it appears again with some other strange number. There is another folder which also has a...
  6. Missing folders from external harddrive under windows update

Missing folders from external harddrive under windows update: After automatic windows update on 9th October 2019, all the folders created after August 2019 in my external harddrive have gone missing. they are not anywhere in This Pc, I have searched all the directories under users to no avail. I have changed the view to show hidden...
  7. Mac external harddrives access.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mac external harddrives access.: I am moving my video editing work from mac to windows. I have multiple external hard drives where all projects are stored and would like to be able to access them through my new window set up without having to reformat. is there away to do this. I am running window 10 pro....
  8. external harddrive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external harddrive: My computer recognizes the harddrive . States it is working properly but will not allow me to open it. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive/0aba405c-3d6d-4a2d-afb4-771e92c416ed
  9. external harddrive

external harddrive: HI ALL I NEED DESPERATE HELP IM PANICKING I DID SOMETHING WITH MY EXTERNAL HDD I TOOK SHARING OFF BY MISTAKE AND ITS LIKE MY LIFE ON THE HDD IT SAYS H; NOT ACCESSIBLE AND ACCESS DENIED HOW DO I FX IT...
  10. Accessing files on external harddrive when I reinstalled windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Accessing files on external harddrive when I reinstalled windows: So windows 10 crashed (system thread exception not handled) and I had to reinstall windows, entered product key and it installed fine. I went to recover my files using my external drive using the comodo backup software (CBU file partition) but it won't restore unsure why....