Windows 10: Unable to access Windows Security's protection history

Discus and support Unable to access Windows Security's protection history in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, When I click on the "Protection history" from Windows Security, I am unable to see the protection history and the Windows Security window just... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ian Chen54321, May 2, 2020.

1. Unable to access Windows Security's protection history

Hi,

When I click on the "Protection history" from Windows Security, I am unable to see the protection history and the Windows Security window just closes up. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Unable to access Windows Security's protection history d3b3b3c5-cf06-4648-9941-3603286263a1?upload=true.jpg

:)

Ian Chen54321, May 2, 2020

2. File history on USB security user access

Hi,

To isolate this concern, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Open File History folder.
    • Select all the files that you don't want to be accessed.
    • Right-click on the highlighted files and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Select all the user account that you don't want to have access on your File History folder.
    • Click on Disable inheritance.
    • Lastly, click on OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Desiree Yau, May 2, 2020
  3. Windows Security - Protection History

Whoa! Hold on... I see a couple of things wrong here at a few different levels.

Command line vs. GUI: Using PowerShell to change settings in Windows Security?

So you're telling me that there is no graphical way of "setting to block potentially unwanted apps" in "Windows Security"? Even though the message is coming right from the GUI of "Windows Security"? In other words, I have to use "PowerShell" to accomplish the
    task? Fancy! Now, how many normal/regular Windows users know what PowerShell is or how to use it with confidence?...

@Micrsooft: Is this some inside joke that I'm not getting? If you as a programmer present such a message graphically in the context of "Windows Security" where you rant about some setting for "unwanted apps" being
    turned off, then I expect you to graphically present the option to remedy that problem. Albeit there is a contextual "Actions" drop-down menu, but it has no "off" option as presented in the message, and there is no "on" option (as implicated by the message).
    So even if these actionable commands so to speak do remedy the problem (I haven't actually tried it), this is not the way to interact or communicate well with the user. There needs to be an option to flip this setting
    on or off right there in the GUI of "Windows Security", instead of issuing some PowerShell command in the background.

Truths about the state of things in Windows Security and Windows

Let's try to establish some truths about what is and what isn't true about Windows Security. I invite you to correct me if I'm wrong at any point.

• "setting to block potentially unwanted apps" is equal to "PUAProtection".
    • "PUAProtection" is equal to "SmartScreen".
    • "Microsoft Defender" is equal to "Windows Defender Security Center".
    • "Windows Defender Security Center" is equal to "Windows Security".
    • "PUAProtection" is disabled by default.
    • "PUAProtection"/"SmartScreen" cannot be changed from within "Microsoft Defender"/"Windows Defender"/"Windows Security".

Windows Defender Security Center vs. Windows Security

Here are a couple of things that are not matching in my version of Windows 10 and "Windows Security" with the linked article on Windows Central and "Windows Defender Security Center". Today is 2019-12-06, and that article was published 2018-08-20.

• There is no "Threat history" under "Virus & threat protection". I can see why. It would seem redundant to say the same thing twice: "Threat history" and "Protection history". (Pun! Protection is history!)
    • There are no "Quarantined threats" under "Virus & threat protection". This is now "Allowed threats". I can see why: "Allowed" is simple English.

Samir Gunic, May 2, 2020
  4. Zehlewi Win User

Unable to access Windows Security's protection history

Clearing Windows Defender history

Hey, what you need to do is so simple, just follow the steps below exactly in order:
    1. Turn OFF Real-time Protection
    2. Turn OFF Cloud-delivered Protection
    3. Go to this folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service
    4. Delete the contents in the folder
    5. Turn ON Real-time Protection
    6. Turn ON Cloud-delivered Protection
    That's it... Now check protection History, it's empty.
    Done!

Zehlewi, May 2, 2020
Thema:

Unable to access Windows Security's protection history

1. Unable to access Windows Security's protection history - Similar Threads - Unable access Security's

2. Windows Security Protection History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Protection History: Hi! I just wanted to ask, when I go in Protection History, it says "Potentially unwanted app removed."It means that my laptop is safe, right? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-security-protection-history/cf3fc869-38b7-41fd-9bce-e72b6261da5e
  3. Windows Security Protection History is not deleting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Protection History is not deleting: Everything I’ve read says Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Protection History supposed to show for only 30 days by default. But mine was there longer.I followed the instructions...
  4. Windows Security Protection History is not deleting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security Protection History is not deleting: Everything I’ve read says Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Protection History supposed to show for only 30 days by default. But mine was there longer.I followed the instructions...
  5. Windows Security Protection History is not deleting

6. Windows Security Protection History

Windows Security Protection History: How do I clear Protection History in Windows Security Defender? See included screen print. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-protection-history/693b8607-59a0-4663-ad94-2a70aaec4c2d
  7. Windows Security not showing Protection History

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Security not showing Protection History: So I tried looking elsewhere on the internet for how to solve this problem but so far can't find any answers. Pretty much the title says it all. Protection History inside Windows Security does not actually show protection history. It shows nothing at all. I'm not quite sure...
  8. Unable to clear protection history

Unable to clear protection history: I am using Windows 10 Home build 1909 and I am unable to clear the Windows Security Protection History... I have tried... Open Event viewer and find Log "Operational" under Application and service logs / Microsoft / Windows / Windows defender Right click on it and select...
  9. Windows Security - Protection History

Windows Security - Protection History: I got this message in Action Center regarding some security setting in "Windows Security". When I clicked on the message, it brought me to a view called "Protection history" inside "Windows Security", with the following message. "The setting to block potentially unwanted...
  10. Windows Security/Protection history

Windows Security/Protection history: Happy Holidays to All. Nov 5th 2019: Windows 10 Pro version Winver 18362.449, I have since updated to 1909, winver 18363.476. But since Nov 5th I have had random shutdown of Outlook.com mail, either using Firefox or EDGE. Microsoft opened a case number and promptly closed it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows security dashboard closes when opening protection history www.windowsphoneinfo.com

2. protection history