Windows 10: Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD.

Discus and support Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I was having problem with my HDD. it become slow because of reallocation of sector unit error. so I decided to replace my HDD with SSD. After replacing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Abu Hurairah Awan, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD.

I was having problem with my HDD. it become slow because of reallocation of sector unit error. so I decided to replace my HDD with SSD. After replacing I installed the same version of windows which I was using on HDD. but now I m unable to activate my windows with digital license. kindly someone tell me what should I do?

:)

Abu Hurairah Awan, Nov 6, 2018

2. Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Onkar HN Win User
    Installing OS on SSD that's already on a HDD

Hi there,

I heard that copying/moving OS from drive to drive isn't good. I just bought a SSD for my Freshly build PC which has Windows 10 Home installed on HDD, Now I'm willing to Install Windows on SSD for great performance.

I have some questions:

1) How do I install OS on SSD whiles it's still active on HDD?

2) How to install it? (I have Windows 10 USB drive)

3) How to enable SSD in UEFI BIOS?

4) Will I lose my data on partitions of HDD?

5) Will 120 GB space of my SSD cause any problem while updating Windows?

6) After install, Would I need to contact MSFT for that 'loong' code to activate Windows? (I had to contact for that code when I reinstalled Windows on my PC from My Laptop!)

And a off-topic question:

How to rename (Re letter) a Partition? I've Optical drive names 'D' and it's between my 'C' and 'E' drive partition.

Onkar HN, Nov 6, 2018
  4. jr1107 Win User

Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD.

Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Windows 10

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my current HDD (on my laptop) to a Samsung Evo SSD and I have some queries regarding the process. I am aware of the whole media creating process but I'd just wanna know if there would be any activation issues. I believe these are
    the steps involved.

1. Download the media creation tool. (Please confirm which one)

2. Replace HDD by SSD.

3. Boot from USB Drive and install on SSD. (It should not ask for a license)

4. Install all drivers.

Is this it? Did I miss any step?

Thank you

jr1107, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD.

1. Unable to activate my OS after replacing HDD with SSD. - Similar Threads - Unable activate replacing

2. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  3. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows: Recently replaced my SSD after 4 years. Unable to Activate Win. The system is showing incorect product key? Windows was purchased from Amazon.The question which component replacement requires a new Winows license purchase?...
  4. SSD Replacment Unable to Activate Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Can I recover my OS after replacing my HDD with SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recover my OS after replacing my HDD with SSD?: I'm planning to buy a new SSD for my laptop since the HDD is now failing way beyond any help and I have to resort to buying a new one. The problem is that I did not have time to back up some files and I did not manage to create a bootable installation disc or USB drive. My...
  6. Can I recover my OS after replacing my HDD with SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I recover my OS after replacing my HDD with SSD?: I'm planning to buy a new SSD for my laptop since the HDD is now failing way beyond any help and I have to resort to buying a new one. The problem is that I did not have time to back up some files and I did not manage to create a bootable installation disc or USB drive. My...
  7. Can I recover my OS after replacing my HDD with SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement

Windows 10 activate After HDD to SSD Replacement: If I replace the HDD with an SSD and do a clean install of windows 10, the Microsoft activation server should recognize my system and activate it, or not?...
  9. Replacing my HDD with SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replacing my HDD with SSD?: Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 with Windows 10. Last year I upgraded to i7-6700 and 16GB of RAM (Crucial.) Now I would like to add a SSD and 2 TB data HDD. I currently have a 1TB Hard Drive that my PC came with in June of 2016. So my question is, how do I upgrade the HDD and...
  10. Can't activate windows 10 after HDD replacement to SSD

Can't activate windows 10 after HDD replacement to SSD: Hello, my previous pc broke down, I placed the hard drive in a new pc and now it tells me to activate windows. Why should I rebuy windows if I don't use the old pc anymore? Does anyone have some tips?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activate ssd

2. activate my digital license after upgrading hdd

3. does it affect the digital licence after i change boot drive from hdd to ssd

4. windows 7 failed activation after ssd,
  5. my bootdata is in hdd and my os is in ssd,
  6. will replacing hdd w ssd affect activation,
  7. activate ssd drive windows 10,
  8. does cloning hdd affect os activation,
  9. how to activate my os after replacemnt of hdd