Windows 10: Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine

Discus and support Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello MS Community,I installed a 2021 Office copy on a previous machine and have since upgraded that machine with new hardware. After installing Office... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by davidhowardsdf, Apr 4, 2022.

1. Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine

Hello MS Community,I installed a 2021 Office copy on a previous machine and have since upgraded that machine with new hardware. After installing Office on this updated hardware, I am being asked to Activate Office. In order to do so, I need to uninstall Office from the previously registered machine. This isn't really possible as the hard drive it was installed on was formatted when I upgraded my hardware. How can I go about getting my Office Activated?

:)

davidhowardsdf, Apr 4, 2022
  2. Kari Win User

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

Kari, Apr 4, 2022
  3. Activation query after clean install

A friend's Asus 8.1 laptop was stuck in an automatic repair loop so I suggested that he upgrade to Windows 10.

Because he was unable to access his system, I opted for a clean install and I created a bootable Win 10 usb on another pc. I used this usb to insall Win 10 on his machine, skipping any requests to activate.

I was under the impression that Win 10 would automatically activate on installation. I'm not sure he ever signed up for the free upgrade offer before Win 8 on his machine decided to implode.

Any advice as to what steps I should take now would be appreciated - thanks.

millmeister, Apr 4, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine

Office 365 Activation

Hi Adrian, follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation, which should also repair this Activation error . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features

Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications

At the top, click 'Change'

On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the online repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

DaveM121, Apr 4, 2022
Thema:

Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine

1. Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine - Similar Threads - Unable Activate Office

2. 'Another Program is Being Installed' Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Another Program is Being Installed' Error: For whatever reason I couldn't uninstall Corsair iCue software, simply receiving an error that said another program was being installed. After force uninstalling it with RevoUninstaller, I am now having issues trying to reinstall the software with the same error. I've tried...
  3. 'Another Program is Being Installed' Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Another Program is Being Installed' Error: For whatever reason I couldn't uninstall Corsair iCue software, simply receiving an error that said another program was being installed. After force uninstalling it with RevoUninstaller, I am now having issues trying to reinstall the software with the same error. I've tried...
  4. Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine: Hello MS Community,I installed a 2021 Office copy on a previous machine and have since upgraded that machine with new hardware. After installing Office on this updated hardware, I am being asked to Activate Office. In order to do so, I need to uninstall Office from the...
  5. Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Activate Office due to it being installed on another machine: Hello MS Community,I installed a 2021 Office copy on a previous machine and have since upgraded that machine with new hardware. After installing Office on this updated hardware, I am being asked to Activate Office. In order to do so, I need to uninstall Office from the...
  6. Unable to install office 2019

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to install office 2019: Dear Team,When I am trying to install office 2019 it is getting an error"Setup is unable to proceed due to the following errors: This product requires Internet Information Services IIS 7.0 or higher., with ASP .NET v4.0 in the list of IIS Web Server Extensions. Correct the...
  7. Install office 2016 into another laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Install office 2016 into another laptop: My old laptop is broken. How to install office 2016 into my new laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-office-2016-into-another-laptop/88b4b356-0068-44c8-acea-9058285a68b7
  8. Unable to install Windows due to 2 serperate volumes being marked as C

Unable to install Windows due to 2 serperate volumes being marked as C: Let me give you some background: I have two 1 TB internal hard disks. On Disk 0 there is nothing but data, but on Disk 1 my Windows OS use to reside, until a horrible malware attack removed all my program files and Windows folders. I had no disk backup. This is the layout...
  9. Move Installation To Another Machine

Move Installation To Another Machine: So, I really need to move my installation to another machine, the machine it is currently off is flaky and has a couple of hardware issues. I run a dual drive setup with my user profile on another drive. I cloned the drives, just in case, and used the clones to attempt to...
  10. Use paid install disk on another machine with the other machine's key

Use paid install disk on another machine with the other machine's key: Have a crashed Win10 machine. Tried to "reset" it with a downloaded iso, but this didn't work--maybe the iso was NG. Anyway, now it won't boot at all. This machine was upgraded from Win 8.1 and I have no paid install disk for it. However, I do know the correct Windows key...