Windows 10: Unable to activate windows 10 after being force to install a new motherboard

Discus and support Unable to activate windows 10 after being force to install a new motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi All, I have recently had to replace my motherboard after the bios became corrupt, this is a common problem with this board and was easily RMA'd.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Teebol, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Teebol Win User

Unable to activate windows 10 after being force to install a new motherboard

Hi All,

I have recently had to replace my motherboard after the bios became corrupt, this is a common problem with this board and was easily RMA'd. Having installed the replacement windows 10 now refuses to activate. simply stating that my product key "Doesn't work". REALLY HELPFUL.

The troubleshooter says it didn't work, I have selected the option stating "I have made a hardware change" again with no effect.

For reference, I did a like-for-like swap with the motherboard, so to my mind there should be no reason that this doesn't work.

I have also signed in with my Microsoft account and verified my account through SMS.

At a loss, and more than a little annoyed that the only "advice" I can get is to buy a new Win 10 Licence for a problem that wasn't even my fault.

Is anyone able to advise?

:)

Teebol, Apr 27, 2019

2. Windows 10 activation with new motherboard

I've tried contacting Microsoft support by both chat (twice) and phone, and none of it was helpful. And so I'm posting the problem here.

I have a laptop that was originally running Windows 7. I upgraded to Windows 10 last month via the free upgrade option, and things were working fine for a while. However, a motherboard issue forced me to replace the motherboard yesterday. This also required me to move the old hard drive and CPU to the new motherboard.

Now, my problem is this: while I do still have Windows 10 installed on my device, it is an evaluation copy; it is not activated as the full product. Some research told me that the free W10 upgrade is linked to the device's hardware, something I didn't know. Since I'm using a different motherboard now, Microsoft apparently doesn't recognize that I DO own a full version of W10 courtesy of the free upgrade.

So now I'm wondering whether there is a way to transfer my W10 license to the new motherboard so it will activate. And before you ask/suggest anything:
    • My original sticker on the bottom of my computer with the W7 license key on it fell off a long time ago. So no, I don't have that.
    • I tried contacting Dell to get my original product key, and they refused to help me because I'm out of warranty, even though what I'm asking them for is very simple.

Any help is appreciated.

HotWingsFTW, Apr 27, 2019
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Apr 27, 2019
  4. Unable to activate windows 10 after being force to install a new motherboard

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

Unable to activate windows 10 after being force to install a new motherboard

1. Unable to activate windows 10 after being force to install a new motherboard - Similar Threads - Unable activate being

2. Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.: Hi, Recently my motherboard died due to assuming power issues and when I bought a replacement, I am unable to log into windows due to the "preparing windows repair" then winload.efi missing, so when I go to advanced options, I figure I might as well wipe my SSD since I have...
  3. Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.: Hi, Recently my motherboard died due to assuming power issues and when I bought a replacement, I am unable to log into windows due to the "preparing windows repair" then winload.efi missing, so when I go to advanced options, I figure I might as well wipe my SSD since I have...
  4. Unable to activate windows on new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate windows on new motherboard: Hi. After my old motherboard broke I had to swap it for a new one and now I cannot activate windows 10. I already tried using the troubleshooter.The first error it gives me is 0xC004c003 and even manually inputting the key I have gives me the 0x803FA067 error. what could I do...
  5. Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard: Hi, My previous desktop computer broke down motherboard and had to be replaced. After reinstalling the hardware and booting up I tried to activate Windows 10, but it keeps giving me errors. I followed the virtual agent steps, but to no prevail. After that I talked to a...
  6. Windows activation error after installing new motherboard

Windows activation error after installing new motherboard: I recently installed a new motherboard in my desktop and now Windows says it needs to be reactivated. The troubleshooter was unable to fix the issue and re-entering the product key doesn't work either. The activation error code is 0xC004F211 and the error code that displays...
  7. trouble activating windows after installing new motherboard

trouble activating windows after installing new motherboard: i upgraded my motherboard and processor and windows asked to be activated, so i tried and i selected that i changed hardware, after that windows said that it was having trouble activating. i tried it a few more times and failed. i tried it a day later and still nothing. can't...
  8. Windows 10 will not activate after installing new motherboard

Windows 10 will not activate after installing new motherboard: Hello, I originally got my Windows 10 Pro licence as a free upgrade from Windows 7. I recently got a new motherboard for my PC after years of using an older one and upon rebooting Windows informed me that it was no longer active. I followed the troubleshooter, eventually...
  9. windows 10 wont activate after new motherboard and cpu install.

windows 10 wont activate after new motherboard and cpu install.: today i decided to install a new motherboard and cpu becuase my old motherboard stopped working and after installing windows 10 and running all the updates it wont let me activate. i get error code 0x803FA067....
  10. Windows Activation after new motherboard

Windows Activation after new motherboard: Recently upgraded my gaming rig with a new motherboard and CPU. All was good for about 5 hours of gaming and browsing, when all of a sudden, I got the "Activate Windows" message pinned in the bottom right of my screen. I tried to activate via "I've upgraded my pc components"...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new motherboard unable to activate windows