Windows 10: Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Discus and support Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, My previous desktop computer broke down motherboard and had to be replaced. After reinstalling the hardware and booting up I tried to activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MarkStraatman, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hi,

My previous desktop computer broke down motherboard and had to be replaced.

After reinstalling the hardware and booting up I tried to activate Windows 10, but it keeps giving me errors.

I followed the virtual agent steps, but to no prevail. After that I talked to a Microsoft support technician and he created a casenumber for me, but redirected me to this community for further instructions/solutions.

What can I do to reactivate windows 10 on my 'new' computer?

:)

MarkStraatman, Oct 14, 2020

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Graf Dyon Win User
    Can't activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hello,

I can't activate my windows 10 license after changing my motherboard.

The license I have is a Windows 7 Pro license, that got changed into a Windows 10 license, when the upgrade was free.

Steps I took previous to the motherboard change:

- I linked my Microsoft account with my device, so that my license is registered under my account (it showed up with my mail in the accounts section)

Now, with the new motherboard built in, I can't activate Windows 10 anymore.

I tried the support steps listed by the Microsoft helper (Activation -> Click Troubleshoot), but that did not work.

In the Activitation settings I get the error code: 0xC004F213

Does anybody know a solution for this, as I haven't found one so far.

Graf Dyon, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Unable to reactivate Windows after changing Motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that after changing the Motherboard you are unable to activate Windows. I’ll help you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• What is the error message you receive when you try to activate Windows?
    • Did Windows 10 come preinstalled on your computer?
    • Were you using a Microsoft account to login to the computer?

Ideally, if Windows 10 comes preinstalled on the computer, the Product key is embedded in the Motherboard. In case Windows is reinstalled on the computer, it should get activated automatically. However, if any hardware changes (such as Motherboard
    or hard drive) is done on the computer, Windows will not be able to identify the license.

You may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

If you are receiving an error code, you may want to check the troubleshooting steps as per the error code mentioned in the article

Get help with Windows activation errors

If you still face issues, do not worry, you can get in touch with our Activation team and they will help you with the issue. Please refer the article

Global Customer Service phone numbers
    to get the Customer support number as per your country.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

1. Unable to activate windows 10 after changing motherboard - Similar Threads - Unable activate changing

2. unable to activate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    unable to activate after changing motherboard: Hi, I have been upgrading the motherboard and harddisk of my 2 Win 10 desktops in the past weeks. After a lot of technical hurdles, I finally got one up and running, and no issue with re-activation of Win10 for the one I use at Home Win10 homeHowever, the desktop in my office...
  3. Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Unable to activate after changing motherboard: Following a crash - burning out both mobo and psu - I installed a new ASUS A320M mobo with A8 cpu and 8G RAM, and a 256G M2 drive.Windows 10 pro installed without a hitch - but would not maintain a connection to the ethernet. SO I installed the chipset drivers from the ASUS...
  4. Unable to activate windows after motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after motherboard change: I am currently using a custom built PC and had replaced the motherboard because it had died due to a short circuit. Upon replacing the motherboard, windows now requires me to buy a whole new licence when I already have one tied to my account. I bought the OS back in 2018. I...
  5. Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard

Windows 10 activation after changing motherboard: So I changed motherboard and it says that I need to reactivate Windows, I log in to my Microsoft account (i got windows 10 free from a windows 7 upgrade a while ago) I let Windows diagnose the problem, they say that there has been a report of hardware change, I press the...
  6. Unable to activate windows after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to activate windows after motherboard change: Hi, My system motherboard crashed and it did not start. I have changed my motherboard to Asus instead of Dell. Now after turning on the computer, Windows asks for Windows Activation. I am unable to activate Windows as it shows the following error: "Windows reported that...
  7. Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard

Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard: I recently upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard. I was one of the many people who upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 years ago and never had any issues. When I changed the motherboard windows insists that I Activate my copy of windows again. I have tried to use...
  8. Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change: My computer went in for a change of the cooling unit which had failed. While in the shop and under testing the "found" a problem with my motherboard and had replaced that as well. However, upon doing this I have a message in the bottom of my screen saying that I need to...
  9. Unable to activate windows 10 after changing my motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to activate windows 10 after changing my motherboard: i just changed my motherboard and i am now unable to activate windows as i lost the box and the activation key i bought last time is there anyway i can activated without buying a new key?...
  10. Unable to activate after changing motherboard

Unable to activate after changing motherboard: Hi all, Yesterday I finally installed my new Mobo and CPU. I got my Windows 7 retail disc and inserted the disc, and activated it just fine using the "9 boxes of code" with phone activation. Then, I installed Windows 10 using a USB bootable. However, I could NOT...