Windows 10: Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Discus and support Unable to activate Windows after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Few days ago i've upgraded part of my PC and reinstalled system. After reinstalation, when i managed to activate win through settings panel,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BartoszŁukowicz, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hello,

Few days ago i've upgraded part of my PC and reinstalled system. After reinstalation, when i managed to activate win through settings panel, "0xC004F213" error code showed up. I used troubleshooter, then've picked "hardware changed" option, selected old pc position and clicked "Acrivate". After that, only i've got is "Cant activate system Windows: We cant reactivate system Windowson this device. Try again later". And that's it.
    This is Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8, which was upgraded from 7 (few years ago, right after it was released). I dont have windows 7 key anymore. After many reinstalations of win10 without problems i thought, if i already binded it to MS account, it wont be needed, so i throwed it in some documents and who knows where it is now, or at all. Even if it is somewhere, it will take ages to find it.
    Only help i've got from phone support is "Go find win7 key, otherwise we cant help you", so right now, this license is just another record on my account's windows licenses list Unable to activate Windows after hardware change ;)

Also i still have old installation with working Windows 10 (before format) up and running on separate disk drive - it there any way to "extract" license/key from old one maybe?

Best regards

***Modified title from: Windows 10 activation after hardware change.***

:)

BartoszŁukowicz, Jan 9, 2019
  2. Epsynus Win User

Unable to activate windows after a hardware change

Hello.

I changed my hardware today and when I logged back into windows it was unable to activate windows.

I got my license key tied to my Microsoft account so what I did was this:

1. Went into activation in settings.

2. Hit "Troubleshoot".

3. "I changed hardware on this device recently".

4. It comes up with my current PC and my old PC.

5. I hit "This is the device I'm currently using right now and Activate.

6. "Unable to activate Windows, we can't activate reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

So I am stuck, please advise what my next step should be.

Epsynus, Jan 9, 2019
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

4. JT1969C10 Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Activating WIndows 10 after hardware change.

Before replacing my hardware on my main computer, I logged into my Microsoft Windows account. Once logged in, I saw that the name of the PC that I was upgrading was in my list of PCs that were activated for Windows 10 Pro. So after reviewing how to reactivate
    after a HW changed, I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard, CPU and memory in that PC.

Now, when it is time to reactivate, the PC in question is still listed in the hardware list on my MS account but it will not allow me to activate Windows. I followed the instructions online and ran the troubleshooting tool. It then gave me the following
    response:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the
    Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later.

See other devices linked to your Microsoft account

So why would it not find the license that was for this PC when it had the old hardware installed? My assumption, albeit may wrong, was that the PC was activated because it was in the list. It was also activated as a Windows 10 Pro edition.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of issue?

JT1969C10, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

1. Unable to activate Windows after hardware change - Similar Threads - Unable activate hardware

2. Unable to Activate after Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Activate after Hardware Change: Hello.Previously, I was running Windows 11 Enterprise my company had purchased Windows 10 Enterprise for me and I took the normal upgrade path when Win 11 was available.Yesterday, I had to replace the motherboard and reinstall Windows.After installing Windows 11 Enterprise...
  3. Unable to Activate after Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Activate after Hardware Change: Hello.Previously, I was running Windows 11 Enterprise my company had purchased Windows 10 Enterprise for me and I took the normal upgrade path when Win 11 was available.Yesterday, I had to replace the motherboard and reinstall Windows.After installing Windows 11 Enterprise...
  4. Unable to activate windows after a hardware change

Unable to activate windows after a hardware change: Hello,I've recently changed my motherboard and despite having a digital license linked to my Microsoft account I am unable to activate windows after having the motherboard replaced.During the Troubleshoot of the Windows activation, it says that my device was registered with a...
  5. Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change: Hello,I just reinstalled Windows to a new M.2 NVME SSD. I originally had it installed on a regular SSD. I signed into Windows using a Microsoft account after the installation to the new M.2 just fine. Windows showed that it was activated. Then I wanted to upgrade to Windows...
  6. Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change

Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change: Hello,I just reinstalled Windows to a new M.2 NVME SSD. I originally had it installed on a regular SSD. I signed into Windows using a Microsoft account after the installation to the new M.2 just fine. Windows showed that it was activated. Then I wanted to upgrade to Windows...
  7. Unable to activate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate windows after hardware change: Hi, Recently I updated the BIOS on my machine been getting a lot of BSODs lately, and now I get the "Activate Windows" watermark. I get this error on the activation page: [ATTACH] And this message in the troubleshooter: [ATTACH] I don't live in China. My original...
  8. Unable To Activate Windows After A Hardware Change

Unable To Activate Windows After A Hardware Change: Hi there, I recently replaced my motherboard and have not been able to re-activate Windows. I used the troubleshoot function as directed and clicked on the, "I changed hardware on this device recently," link. The program then displayed a device, saying, "Select this device...
  9. Unable to activate Windows after a hardware change

Unable to activate Windows after a hardware change: I just changed the mainboard, CPU and RAM today to upgrade the hardware of my PC. Now I followed steps as posted by Microsoft after a hardware change to activate my digital license that is linked to my Windows Account.[ATTACH]...
  10. Unable to activate Windows after hardware change.

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change.: Hi there, so I recently changed out my motherboard on my pre-built PC. I had my account linked to that PC and now want to transfer the license it had. When I try to do so it doesn't work. I used the option where you select that I have changed my hardware and then click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to activate windows hardware change

2. unable to activate windows 10 after hardware

3. unable to activate windows after hardware change

4. unable to activate after hardware change,
  5. windows hardware change unable to activate windows,
  6. hardware change unable to activate windows