Windows 10: Unable to activate windows after hdd change

Discus and support Unable to activate windows after hdd change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a HP laptop that was purchased with OEM version of windows 8 which was later upgraded to windows 10. Now because of an issue with bad hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NikhBun, Mar 13, 2020.

1. NikhBun Win User

Unable to activate windows after hdd change

I have a HP laptop that was purchased with OEM version of windows 8 which was later upgraded to windows 10. Now because of an issue with bad hard drive, I had to change and reinstall windows 10 home. However, the system is not getting recognized by windows account. I could see my laptop listed when I attempted to manage my Microsoft account.

Need help in reactivating the windows. Following is the error that I receive when I attempted to activate and troubleshoot.

Also, the toll free number **** suggested by the bot seem to be incorrect. It says it is a invalid number.

Unable to activate windows after hdd change 5181e538-32a9-42a7-a509-3f3efc3609fb?upload=true.jpg

:)

NikhBun, Mar 13, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Mar 13, 2020
  4. attobytes Win User

Activating windows 10 after changing HDD

My problem is solved, by doing the following steps.

1. Remove the SSD and put the old HDD back in -start up the laptop with the old activated config.

2. Ran slmgr.vbs /ato as admin and installed all Windows updates.

3. Make sure you're logged in on your Microsoft account -I also turned on the sync setting to all my devices(not sure if it's needed).

4. shutdown, remove the HDD & put the SSD back in -startup the laptop with the new ssd.

5. The clean windows 10 install is still not activated -same error code 0xC004C003.

6. restart the laptop in to advanced boot options(or boot from the boot-able windows 10 installation).

7. Reset your pc & remove all files.

8. Login to the same Microsoft account as in step 3 when the wizard asks for it.

9. After the setup was done, my windows 10 installation was activated! All of my drivers were still installed as well, so that was definitely a nice thing.. Unable to activate windows after hdd change :)

Before doing this I also phoned support and they just told me to wait, I suggest you don't as I've seen loads of stories on the forums of people who've been waiting for +1month.

It seems like Microsoft is giving out the same(blocked) activation key(*****-8HVX7) to everyone doing a clean install after changing hardware/ upgrading w/o waiting for all windows updates.

attobytes, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to activate windows after hdd change - Similar Threads - Unable activate hdd

2. Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change: Hello,I just reinstalled Windows to a new M.2 NVME SSD. I originally had it installed on a regular SSD. I signed into Windows using a Microsoft account after the installation to the new M.2 just fine. Windows showed that it was activated. Then I wanted to upgrade to Windows...
  3. Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Activate Windows After a Hardware Change: Hello,I just reinstalled Windows to a new M.2 NVME SSD. I originally had it installed on a regular SSD. I signed into Windows using a Microsoft account after the installation to the new M.2 just fine. Windows showed that it was activated. Then I wanted to upgrade to Windows...
  4. Unable to activate windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate windows after hardware change: Hi, Recently I updated the BIOS on my machine been getting a lot of BSODs lately, and now I get the "Activate Windows" watermark. I get this error on the activation page: [ATTACH] And this message in the troubleshooter: [ATTACH] I don't live in China. My original...
  5. unable to activate windows after changing cpu

unable to activate windows after changing cpu: Not long ago I made some hardware changes to my pc such as a new cpu, gpu and mobo. I did a clean installation of windows 10 and everything went fine and I was able to reactivate my account. However since then, I have upgraded my CPU again, and when I go to activate windows...
  6. Unable to activate Windows after a hardware change

Unable to activate Windows after a hardware change: I just changed the mainboard, CPU and RAM today to upgrade the hardware of my PC. Now I followed steps as posted by Microsoft after a hardware change to activate my digital license that is linked to my Windows Account.[ATTACH]...
  7. Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change: A few days back I changed my motherboard, CPU of my PC. When I started my PC back up, I had to re-activate Windows on this device. I tried doing that, but it kept giving me the message that it was unable to re-activate my license. I bought this PC about 6 years ago, with a...
  8. Unable to activate Windows after hardware change.

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change.: Hi there, so I recently changed out my motherboard on my pre-built PC. I had my account linked to that PC and now want to transfer the license it had. When I try to do so it doesn't work. I used the option where you select that I have changed my hardware and then click on...
  9. Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard

Unable to activate windows after changing motherboard: I recently upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard. I was one of the many people who upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 years ago and never had any issues. When I changed the motherboard windows insists that I Activate my copy of windows again. I have tried to use...
  10. Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change

Unable to activate windows after a Motherboard change: My computer went in for a change of the cooling unit which had failed. While in the shop and under testing the "found" a problem with my motherboard and had replaced that as well. However, upon doing this I have a message in the bottom of my screen saying that I need to...