Windows 10: Unable to add account to computer

Discus and support Unable to add account to computer in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Latest Windows 10, fresh install Adding an account to the computer for my mother "How will this person sign in?" I put in her email address... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by q00u, Apr 6, 2019.

1. q00u Win User

Unable to add account to computer

Latest Windows 10, fresh install

Adding an account to the computer for my mother

"How will this person sign in?"

I put in her email address

"Looks like this isn't a Microsoft account. Try another email or sign up for a new one."

I thought it already was, but whatever. I click create account, and put in the same email address for the new account.

"{the email address} is already being used with another Microsoft account. You should sign in with that account."

Alright, guess I was right. I click Sign in, and start with the same email address.

"Looks like this isn't a Microsoft account..."

So, I can't use it to sign in, because it's NOT a Microsoft account

But I can't use it to make a Microsoft account...

Because it already IS a Microsoft account??

It is or it isn't. Which one?

:)

q00u, Apr 6, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Apr 6, 2019
  3. Zakin Win User
    Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Unable to add account to computer :(

Zakin, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Unable to add account to computer

Unable to login with microsoft account

Hi,

Issues with signing in to a Microsoft account are usually happening due
    the two-step verification is turned on or you are traveling or using a new device.
    For us to provide an accurate resolution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing the sign in issue upon logging in to your computer?
    • Are you having the same error when you are trying to sign in to your Microsoft account using a web browser? If yes, is the same issue happening even when you are using other web browsers?
    • Have you made any changes to your account before this issue occurred?
    • What changes have you made to your computer prior to having this issue?

In the meantime, we suggest that you read and follow the suggested troubleshooting steps on these links:

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

Unable to add account to computer

1. Unable to add account to computer - Similar Threads - Unable add account

2. Unable to add number to account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to add number to account: Unable to link number to this account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-add-number-to-account/2a9c7347-0d7f-4e5a-9967-7a582d706c2e
  3. Unable to add number to account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to add number to account: Unable to link number to this account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-add-number-to-account/2a9c7347-0d7f-4e5a-9967-7a582d706c2e
  4. unable add account on windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable add account on windows: I have been trying for a while to add my google account to my windows. Its shows error 0x80070490. Suggest a solution for this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-add-account-on-windows/dbeaf94a-681c-42ce-aa09-b4fc6e57a3ad
  5. Unable to add an account picture

Unable to add an account picture: Hello, I just recently upgraded to WIN10 from a USB drive. During setup I was attempting to add an account photo but I keep getting the error message "setting the account picture failed. Please try again" I have read on other questions that users can navigate to the...
  6. Unable to add a Microsoft account

Unable to add a Microsoft account: Hi, I have recently purchased a new laptop and signed in with my Microsoft account. However, when I try to add my account in: Settings > Accounts > Email and accounts > Accounts used by other apps I do not see the option "Add a Microsoft account" which should normally be...
  7. Unable to add an account to Mail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add an account to Mail: Just decided to try switching back to the built-in Mail app, but upon trying to add my account I get this error. If it matters the account I’m trying to add is a Microsoft account (and it’s connected to the user account I’m using) and it’s an Outlook email. submitted by...
  8. Unable To Add Microsoft Account To Computer On Domain

Unable To Add Microsoft Account To Computer On Domain: Trying to associate my Microsoft account to my home computer that is joined to my home domain using Server 2019 essentials. I go to Settings -> Accounts -> E-Mail & Accounts Then click on "Add a Microsoft Account" I'm able to enter my e-mail address, and password in the...
  9. Unable to add a guest account to computer

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to add a guest account to computer: how do I allow another person to access my computer in a guest account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-add-a-guest-account-to-computer/31c64e5e-073f-48d2-b443-2b392e70594a"
  10. Unable to add Mail account

in Browsers and Email
    Unable to add Mail account: Just downloaded 10565. From what trade press says, mail has been significantly improved (I've been using Thunderbird), so I thought I'd again give it a try. I had to add my account, so I clicked on Add Account, clicked on "Other Account", entered the Email address + Password...