Windows 10: Unable to add folders and apps to desktop

Discus and support Unable to add folders and apps to desktop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been unable to add folders and apps to my desktop after I decided to delete all the widgets I had previously installed. I've tried resetting my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Lilith.sb, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Lilith.sb Win User

Unable to add folders and apps to desktop

I've been unable to add folders and apps to my desktop after I decided to delete all the widgets I had previously installed. I've tried resetting my desktop setting and adding shortcuts multiple ways, and I can't get anything to work. Is there a way that I could have set a setting that doesn't allow me to add things to my desktop?

:)

Lilith.sb, Dec 7, 2022
  2. NdMk2o1o Win User

Split Steam app folder between 2 HDD?

As the title suggests I want to find out if there's a way I can split my steam app folder on to 2 drives, specifically an SSD that I will be putting my OS and most used games and apps and a regular HDD for everything else?

NdMk2o1o, Dec 7, 2022
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Dec 7, 2022
  4. Yolvi Ell Win User

Dragging apps to desktop for shortcuys

Hi Lance,

It's possible that some settings are preventing you from adding shortcuts to the desktop. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Does this happen when you try dragging all apps to the desktop, or just a specific app?
    • Are you using an administrator account?
    • Is your computer connected to a private domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps as a workaround:

• Right-click on any empty part of the desktop.
    • Click New > Shortcut.
    • Navigate to the folder location of the app you want and select it.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your response and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Dec 7, 2022
Thema:

1. Unable to add folders and apps to desktop - Similar Threads - Unable add folders

2. Unable to add folder to Library

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to add folder to Library: Hello everyone,Windows 11 home, version 23H2 build 22631.3155Took a photo using my HP laptop camera app, but it will not save the image, error code 0xA00F424F. When the laptop was purchased this worked. Note: all of the "My" folders have been mapped to new locations with "My...
  3. Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders: New computer, first time using Windows 11 Pro. I want to know how to add apps from the Start Menu to folders on the desktop. Example: I've downloaded several games and photo editing programs. I don't want to scroll through all apps in the Start Menu to find them. I want to...
  4. Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders

Add Start Menu apps to desktop folders: New computer, first time using Windows 11 Pro. I want to know how to add apps from the Start Menu to folders on the desktop. Example: I've downloaded several games and photo editing programs. I don't want to scroll through all apps in the Start Menu to find them. I want to...
  5. Unable to add new folders to windows mail app.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add new folders to windows mail app.: II have recently installed windows 11, including the windows mail app. I need to add new folders to this. The standard advice seems to be that this can be done by clicking on a plus sign next to the "Folder" option, but no such plus sign is visible. I have followed advice to...
  6. Unable to add new folders to windows mail app.

Unable to add new folders to windows mail app.: II have recently installed windows 11, including the windows mail app. I need to add new folders to this. The standard advice seems to be that this can be done by clicking on a plus sign next to the "Folder" option, but no such plus sign is visible. I have followed advice to...
  7. Unable to add folders and apps to desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to add folders and apps to desktop: I've been unable to add folders and apps to my desktop after I decided to delete all the widgets I had previously installed. I've tried resetting my desktop setting and adding shortcuts multiple ways, and I can't get anything to work. Is there a way that I could have set a...
  8. Unable to add folders to Microsoft Photo App

Unable to add folders to Microsoft Photo App: I see a lot of threads about this subject but no clear answer When i go to Settings\Sources and when i try to add an other folder nothing happens When i click on import\From a folder nothing happens When i go to folders and click on add a folder nothing happens I tried...
  9. Unable to add folders to Microsoft Photo App

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to add folders to Microsoft Photo App: I see a lot of threads about this subject but no clear answer When i go to Settings\Sources and when i try to add an other folder nothing happens When i click on import\From a folder nothing happens When i go to folders and click on add a folder nothing happens I tried...
  10. Unable to add folders in Windows Mail App

Unable to add folders in Windows Mail App: Is there a registry setting(s) I could change so I don't have to uninstall and reinstall per other posts suggestions. Everything is working and I have currently 69,209 emails in my inbox and I don't see where there is an archive feature to re-import my emails for MS Mail....