Windows 10: Unable to add new disks to storage pool

Discus and support Unable to add new disks to storage pool in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am attempting to add a pair of new disks to a storage pool, but when I do I get the following error: Can't Prepare drives Close all applications... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tallenm, Sep 27, 2020.

1. tallenm Win User

Unable to add new disks to storage pool

I am attempting to add a pair of new disks to a storage pool, but when I do I get the following error:

Can't Prepare drives

Close all applications that are accessing the drive, and then try again

The system cannot find the file specified.

0x00000002

Unable to add new disks to storage pool 8e208199-22dc-4eff-a6ca-f789dfc376f9?upload=true.jpg

I notice in get-disk that the drive has changed from GPT to RAW.

Some possibly interesting data points:

Attempting to add again after the disk is in RAW has the same failure even if the disk has been cleaned

I had 3 identical disks, added the first one singly and it added fine, the other 2 I added later, and tried to add them simultaneously, this failed I believe with a different error, unfortunately I don't have it anymore

I have tried cleaning the disk using diskpart, uninstalling the disks in question from the device manager and then rebooting, but I still have the same outcome

The disks do not appear in get-physicaldisk they are definitely not in the primordial pool, but are shown in get-disk

:)

tallenm, Sep 27, 2020

2. create storage pool

I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged
    in a new storage device and tried to create a new storage pool. I keep getting the error r unable to create because it is being used by other apps.

RussellGlidewell, Sep 27, 2020
  3. How to remove external hard disk from storage pool on Windows 10

Hi Velen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern about removing the external hard disk from storage pool, we will help you with this issue.

Try the below steps to: Remove a physical disk by using Windows PowerShell
    and check if it helps.

• Press Windows
      key from the keyboard, type Windows PowerShell and select
      Run as administrator.

• Enter the command replacing <diskname> with the disk name:

• Set-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName <diskname> -Usage Retired
    (If the pool is clustered, you will need to run this command on the cluster node which has the cluster resource for the pool online.)

3. Prior to performing step 5, you must wait for all active repair jobs to complete. To monitor the status of repair jobs, type the following command:
    Get-StorageJob

4. Type the following command: Remove-PhysicalDisk -FriendlyName <diskname>

5. Physically disconnect the old disk.

For further reference: Storage Spaces Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 27, 2020
  4. Unable to add new disks to storage pool

Unable to Remove a Failed Disk from Storage Spaces Virtual Disk Pool

I have a set of four disks in a Pool of my Storage Space. One of the Disks failed and can't start or run anymore; however, it is detected and marked as retired with 0.01% usage. Nevertheless, I added a new drive and the data is still okay, but I am unable
    to remove the lingering failed disk and my Storage Space is always warning me to check it for a failed drive.

I tried using PowerShell to remove the Failed Disk, and also tried to Repair the Virtual Disks to no avail

Does any one know how to solve this issue?

JohnnySandaire, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

Unable to add new disks to storage pool

1. Unable to add new disks to storage pool - Similar Threads - Unable add disks

2. Vrituel Disk issues Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vrituel Disk issues Storage Pool: i,i'am new in this forum and i don't have enough expertise in the domain of storage Pool i have an issue since last week with my server i have created a storage pool from Windows servers 2019 with 8 nas behind it and every nas have 4 disks so all the disks are healthy and...
  3. storage pools

storage pools: I have three 1 TB drives in my computer. Two of them are configured as a RAID1 mirrored drive, and the third drive is for backup. Today, for the first time, I became aware of storage pools, and when I explored my setup, I found that some space on my RAID1 drive is assigned to...
  4. Storage Pool

Storage Pool: My Asus VivoBook recently ran out of storage space so I have been using an external hard drive to store everything. Yet my laptop progessed into no disc space and wasn't responding to basic functions like the use of Microsoft Word. I decided to create a storage pool to allow...
  5. Deleted a storage pool cant create a new storage pool after format

Deleted a storage pool cant create a new storage pool after format: Hello , i have an issue this the storage pool system i used to have a storage pool with my 2 hdd and SSD together I deleted that before I formatted and deleted the the storage pool tryring to create a new storage pool i keep getting cant prepare drives Close all application...
  6. Adding physical disks to a storage pool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding physical disks to a storage pool: I have a storage pool of 4 physical 8tb disks. I added 2 more physical 8tb disks to the pool, but there doesn't seem to be a size increase. What I'm reading is that storage pools can't be added to once created, but that doesn't sound right. So, how do I get the added disks to...
  7. Unable to use new Storage Space made from existing Storage Pool

Unable to use new Storage Space made from existing Storage Pool: I posted about this originally at TenForums, where I also posted screen captures of all my error messages. If asked, I could re-post it all here. I have an existing Storage Pool with 2 Storage Spaces - 1 simple and 1 mirrored - which I created several years ago using...
  8. Add Storage Pool

Add Storage Pool: Hey guys, I am have trouble a storage pool to my small HP stream it comes up with error 0x00000032 If someone could give me step by step instructions on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. Thanks...
  9. Storage Pools

Storage Pools: Hello, I currently have windows 10 Home premium x64 and I am running a storage pool with no parity. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and I want to know if I will lose my Storage Pool and the information in it?...
  10. Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information create virtual drives called storage spaces. These storage spaces typically store two copies of your data so if one...