Windows 10: unable to add second admin account

Discus and support unable to add second admin account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home ver 1703. It used to be the case that we could add a second admin account, and delete the original. This was handy as a way to clear... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by robmar0se, Mar 6, 2018.

1. robmar0se Win User

unable to add second admin account

Windows 10 Home ver 1703.

It used to be the case that we could add a second admin account, and delete the original. This was handy as a way to clear info of a previous user, whether they sold the computer, they died, or sometimes to clear up a clogged up machine.

From browsing the net, blogs and this forum it sounds that Microsoft in their wisdom have made this very difficult if as in this case where the original user has died. I have her sign on details, and can open and get into it fine.

When I try to create a second admin user as a non family member, I am asked for info that is not relevant or not available, eg email address, phone etc. So that doesn't work. If I try to add a family member - I get "something went wrong". All I need to do is create a new admin user which does NOT need a Microsoft sign in, and delete the original account.

These sort of ill-thought through concepts (as in the case of updates) is not endearing long standing users of Windows = perhaps MS don't care?

Help please

:)

robmar0se, Mar 6, 2018
  2. Linda.y Win User

Health & Performance Report Not Available on 2 user accounts except the administrator's account in the laptop has Health Report

I might have misunderstood what "built-in administrator account" is. I thought these are the user accounts which I myself gave "administrator" status . I did perform the first set of steps to "administrator acct. A" & then apply the second set of steps
    to my second "admin. acct B". The result of these actions erase the health report in admin acct A that I got after doing the first set of steps simply disappeared & "Health report not available" shows on both A & B. What I did find is that after a full scan
    by Defender, the health report becomes available.

I am unable to add user through setting's user account in the admin accounts. It just did not respond when I click the add user option. However, it seems that if I sign in from Microsoft account & under the family tab, I may be able to add someone.

So actually where can I locate the "built-in administrator acct"?

Linda.y, Mar 6, 2018
  3. Problem in my windows os

Sir...

I m unable to delete the my second admin account ....

I try th methods provided on net by i can't able to delete it ..please help

VivekKumar_803, Mar 6, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Rob,

I'm sorry to hear about the death of the previous user. *Sad

If you wanted to start fresh on the PC, you could reset Windows 10 to do so.

*Arrow Reset Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Mar 6, 2018
  5. robmar0se Win User
    Thank you Brink for responding so quickly - yes that is the bottom line if another solution is not available.

The hassle of taking the route you suggest, is that we have to reload all the programs and apps etc, which if MS have thought this through shouldn't be necessary.

It may well be we have no choice - another reason why so many are avoiding Win 10 - several I know have reverted to Win7 because of issues re system corruption after a Windows Update.

This system started as Win 8 so we may revert as many feel more comfortable with 7.1 - certainly the person who is inheriting this laptop.

Hey-ho!

robmar0se, Mar 6, 2018
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Mar 6, 2018
  7. robmar0se Win User
    Bottom Line with your advice I have achieved the required end result - thanks so much.

I had been down this path before, a couple of things threw me, (i) the term local account which I am increasingly understanding as a non-Microsoft a/c, and (ii) asking me for the original Microsoft A/c holders password at every step of the way. I bit the bullet, set up the new a/c, no choice as to standard or admin until one reboots and signs in on the new a/c, then you can change it to admin. Held my breath and deleted the original a/c, as the backstop was to re-install. So far so good.

Thank you again, you're a star!

robmar0se, Mar 6, 2018
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. unable to add second admin account - Similar Threads - unable add second

2. Unable do add a second alias

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable do add a second alias: I want do add a second email address and then change my primary alias. However, the microsoft site wouldn'd allow me to do so. Neither trying to add a new email address, nor using an existing one works. The answer is always "This email address is already taken. Please try...
  3. Unable do add a second alias

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable do add a second alias: I want do add a second email address and then change my primary alias. However, the microsoft site wouldn'd allow me to do so. Neither trying to add a new email address, nor using an existing one works. The answer is always "This email address is already taken. Please try...
  4. Unable do add a second alias

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. cannot set second account as admin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cannot set second account as admin: there is one account that is the built in administrator with full acess now i want to create a second user, also as administrator, but the option is greyed out, the CMD command doesnt work either so this second account is very limited, so much that you cannot even change...
  6. Admin account unable to add an app to Microsoft Store for Education

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin account unable to add an app to Microsoft Store for Education: I am wanting to make an app available in our Microsoft for Education Store. I have been able to find it in the standard Microsoft Store. see below image [ATTACH] And am also able to locate it in the Microsoft Store for Education when I am not signed in. However, you will...
  7. add an admin user account

in Windows 10 Customization
    add an admin user account: how do I add an admin user account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-an-admin-user-account/9bcb122b-8bda-426e-991c-72232b8ea4b2
  8. Unable to access admin account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to access admin account: In 2016 we purchased a laptop for our daughter and she set up the admin account and the backup account. She doesn't remember the PW to the admin acct, the back up account was deleted by me for parental reasons and every single attempt I've tried to regain access to my OWN...
  9. Add new Family Admin account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Add new Family Admin account: I'm trying to add a new account on my laptop. My brother was the previous owner and gave me his password, but I decided I wanted to start using my own Microsoft account. I successfully added myself and made myself an admin, however, when I try to sign in to my account, it...
  10. Unable to add local admin account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to add local admin account: Periodically I acquire computers from ex-employees that only have themselves as local Users. Even though I'm in the Administrators Group as a domain admin, I don't have permission to add anyone to local Users. I need to clean these up for redeployment and often wind up...