Windows 10: Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu

Discus and support Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I can place a new folder or custom shortcut in the correct start menu location (current user or all users) but it will not appear in the All apps list.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jb99, Dec 5, 2015.

1. jb99 Win User

Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu

I can place a new folder or custom shortcut in the correct start menu location (current user or all users) but it will not appear in the All apps list. If I go to the folder or shortcut and right-click Pin to Start it will appear as a tile in the start menu, but still will not show up in the All apps list. I think this behavior started with Version 1511 since it was working for me in the previous version.

:)

jb99, Dec 5, 2015
  2. #Jersern Win User

Can't add shortcuts to all apps in start menu

Hi there,

I'm having some difficulties trying to add shortcuts onto my all apps drawer and all help will be greatly appreciated! Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu :)

When I add a shortcut into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, the short cut appears as a pinned tile on the start menu and not as a shortcut in the all apps drawer. How could I rectify this?

Cheers!

#Jersern, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Can't add shortcuts to all apps in start menu

Hello,

I understand your concern. please follow the below simple steps, and check.

Refer to the suggestion provided by Shawn 'cmdr' Keene [MVP] replied on August 5, 2015 from the below link
    How to ADD a shortcut to "All Apps" menus in Start Menu W10

How to ADD a shortcut to "All Apps" menus in Start Menu W10

Do let us know the update of the issue.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Dec 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, a quick test seems to show the same. The representation of traditional start menu items and structures in Win 10's start menu is (in my experience) garbage. And not just since the November upgrade. Sorry to have to say that, but it flattens all the subfolders inherited from a 'normal' menu used in Win 7 and 8, loses the sub-folders, including those created by each program's installation, leading to things like

Help
    Help
    Help

where each 'Help' is from a different program.

If you want a meaningful start menu without these quirks and oddities, try e.g. Classic Shell.

dalchina, Dec 6, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    You can create folders in:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

or:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

but they have to have shortcuts in them, otherwise they won't show in the All apps menu.

Edwin, Dec 6, 2015
  6. jb99 Win User
    Sorry this did not work. This is a shortcut to a stand alone executable file, a program that is not installed in Windows. When I put the shortcut directly into either of the 2 folders you mentioned, or when I put the shortcut inside a new folder into either of the 2 folders you mentioned, I cannot get anything to show in the All apps list, only a tile on the right side of the Start Menu. My guess is this is a registry issue, but I do not know where or what to change.

jb99, Dec 6, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, there is a way for your portable program, if you really really want to do this using the Win 10 start menu. You probably won't believe it, but here it is (I've just done it to be sure).

1. Zip up your portable .exe
    2. Get a copy of Nirsoft's zipinstall
    3. Run zipinstall and 'install' the zip file you have created.
    4. Create a shortcut to the exe in its installed location in these locations.
    (I guess it would work with 1 but having put one in each and then deleted both, the shortcut still shows in the start menu- I'd guess until it's refreshed - maybe logon? Hmm..)

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

or:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Really I cannot recommend doing this, but at least it is somehow consistent with the program having to be installed.
    It might also be worth trying what you did before, but log off, on and check the start menu again.

Personally, I avoid the Win 10 start menu altogether.

dalchina, Dec 6, 2015
  8. jb99 Win User

Thanks, that worked!

jb99, Dec 6, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Congratulations! *Smile

Zipinstall is actually rather useful for odd freeware that comes in zips only, no installer.

dalchina, Dec 6, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Strange..., works for me! *Confused
    (I created the folder and the shortcuts and put em in there!)

Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 7, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    It works for me also but if you nest folders within Start Menu\Programs then it doesn't...

These work:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Speccy64.lnk
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Portable programs\Speccy64.lnk

but this doesn't...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Portable programs\Piriform\Speccy64.lnk

12. Edwin New Member
    K, create shortcuts to the actual folders then.

Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu [​IMG]

Edwin, Dec 7, 2015
  13. Mister X Win User

Can't believe this is the only workaround that actually works. Thank you so much.

Needed to add shortcuts to my portables asap in the All apps list and it did work! Otherwise, trying anything else just pinned the damn shortcut as a tile in the right area.*Mad

First time W10 user and just for this, I started to hate it. Buggy start menu on Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB.

Mister X, Aug 15, 2017
  14. lx07 Win User
    It isn't a bug it is how it works.

If you have a problem with your companies start menu policy, best you talk to them.

There is no such thing as LTSB 2016. If you install software you don't have a license for it is your problem.

Thema:

1. Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu - Similar Threads - Unable add apps

2. How to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]PC users can display and use the Start menu with a feature called Show App List In Start Menu. The Show App List In Start Menu is enabled by default. In this post, we will show you the thre ways on how to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu on Windows 11/10. […]...
  3. Issue With Start Menu Apps List

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issue With Start Menu Apps List: I run Windows 10 and have an issue with the Start Menu List of Apps the list of apps/ programs in alphabetic order that appears on the left side of the screen next to the Start Tiles. Some shortcuts are contained in folders that I want to move out of the folders, place them...
  4. Start menu tiles (add app that dose not show in list of apps)

Start menu tiles (add app that dose not show in list of apps): [ATTACH] Hi, i have recently downgraded skype to more usable version, but the older version dose not show in my start menu's tiles. i would like to add it into the quick start icons because that helps me manage my space better on the quickstart. Just to give you an idea...
  5. Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu

Cannot add shortcuts to Apps list in start menu: So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed...
  6. How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?: I've tried the tutorial Here and it does not work. I'm trying to add the app 'DotA 2' and have put it in the \programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs and then restarted my PC. It is still not showing up. [img] [img] 12802
  7. question about "all apps" list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    question about "all apps" list in start menu: When programs appear in the all apps list of the start menu I usually click don't show this in the list option, well now none of the apps are ever showing there, imagine that lol, is there anyway to get them to start showing again? 22952
  8. [Help] Start Menu All Apps - List vs Groups

in Windows 10 Support
    [Help] Start Menu All Apps - List vs Groups: Win10 forams plz halp mi. Iz ther a wai tu maek all apps list insted of groups (0-9, A, B, etc.)? when wif win7 i crated mi own foldrs in all aps menu. pls wni10 farum halp mi. 10857
  9. How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu: Hiya...I created a new folder in the start menu folder but it does not show in the All Apps List? 58936
  10. Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove All Apps List in Start Menu in Windows 10 All apps in the Start menu displays an alphabetical list of all your installed Windows apps and desktop apps in Windows 10. Some of these apps...