Windows 10: Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup

Discus and support Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a new Windows 10 laptop that I'm trying to add to an existing home network. On the network is another Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SP_234, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SP_234 Win User

Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup

I have a new Windows 10 laptop that I'm trying to add to an existing home network. On the network is another Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop. I have no issues networking between the two older computers but am finding it impossible to add the new computer.

The new computer recognizes the network, I can see the older computers and click on them but can't access any of the shared folders - it tells me I don't have access. I can also see the new computer from the other two but can't access any files or folders.

I've tried every suggestion I've come across to no avail:
    - Under Network & Sharing, advanced, I've turned on network discovery and file & printer sharing, turned off password protected sharing
    - Disabled then re-enabled credentials manager (didn't work either way)
    - Disabled then re-enabled firewalls
    - Permissions on shared folders are all set to 'everyone'

How do I get this new computer onto the network?

:)

SP_234, Dec 4, 2018

2. Unable to setup Homegroup on Windows 10 computer

Hello Mike,

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• Did you try setting up HomeGroup on another computer?
    • Is your computer installed with any third party Antivirus or Online security software?
    Suggest you to check this issue by restarting your computer once, post complete shutdown, to see if it goes correctly. Also ensure that your computer is up to date with Windows Updates.
    Go to Start Button/>Settings/>Update & Security/> Windows Update and click
    Check the updates. If you find any pending updates, then try to install them and see if it makes any difference.

Follow the below mentioned steps to setup HomeGroup on Windows 10.

• Right-click on Start and select
      Control Panel from the context menu.

• Select
      Network and Sharing
      center option, then click on the
      HomeGroup
      at the bottom left fringe on the Network and Sharing Center window.

• Click
      Create a homegroup
      button. You see the list of files and devices that you would like to share within the HomeGroup.

• On the drop down menu beside every item set the
      level of permission of each item, then click Next once you are done.

• You will be taken to the next step where you can see an
      auto-generated password. If the computer need to participate in the HomeGroup then they require this password for authentication. You can also modify the password later. Tap the
      Finish button.
    Now join other PC into this HomeGroup, which you think should participate in the HomeGroup activities.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Dec 4, 2018
  3. Jose Est Win User
    Existing Homegroup removed from all computers - rejoining not possible

Hi,

HomeGroup is a group of devices that lets you share items of your computer with other devices.

As an initial troubleshooting step to resolve your issue, we strongly suggest running the
    HomeGroup troubleshooter.

To run the HomeGroup troubleshooter, follow the steps below:

• Press the Window key + I to go directly to
      Windows Settings
    • Click Update & security.
    • From the left sidebar, locate and click Troubleshoot.
    • Move to its right pane and look for HomeGroup. Underneath the heading, select
      Find and fix other problems.
    • Now, click the Run the troubleshooter button.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jose Est, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup

Unable to share information from HomeGroup on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience caused to you with connecting to the HomeGroup network.

Do let us know the following information to assist you better with this issue:

• What exactly happens when you try to share any information on your computers?
    • Which troubleshooter have you deployed to resolve the issue?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message with this issue?
    • Were you able to see the other computer under newly created HomeGroup?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn on network discovery on both the computers

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.

• Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.

If the issue still persists,

Step 2: I suggest you to run
    HomeGroup troubleshooter if not yet tried and check.

HomeGroup troubleshooter finds and fix problems with viewing computers or shared folders in a HomeGroup.

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Control Panel.

• In the Control Panel window, select
      Category and then select Large icons.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click View all and then click on
      HomeGroup.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

Step 3: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on Windows 10 computer that you performed reset on.

• Connect to the internet.

• Press Windows
      key and type updates.

• Click on Check for updates.

• Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.

• Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup

1. Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup - Similar Threads - Unable add computer

2. Unable to add pre-existing account to laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to add pre-existing account to laptop: My laptop had an account on it which over time I have changed emails to using my pre-built desktop. It stayed on the laptop for whatever reason. Today I attempted to sign into the account using the new email. It added a new account to the laptop and everytime I put in my...
  3. Add Android Tablet to Windows 10 Homegroup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add Android Tablet to Windows 10 Homegroup: Android Tablet Cannot Print to Windows 10 WIFI printer: Android support informed me that the tablet settings are correct: and the tablet must be defined to the Windows Network Group before I can print wifi I would appreciate some advice on how to define the Android Tablet...
  4. Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup

Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup: I'm sure this has come up dozens of times but every time I search for an answer, the advice simply says "just use the Homegroup utility" that came with Windows 10. That's all well and good but now that Microsoft has seen fit to delete the Homegroup wizard/utility in the...
  5. Am unable to add an existing account to People

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Am unable to add an existing account to People: Trying to add my (new) account to People but keep getting an error - Something went wrong We're sorry, but we were unable to do that. Error code: 0x80004005....
  6. Homegroup does not exist

Homegroup does not exist: Homegroup does not exist in my laptop although I have win7 and there i can access but when i install win10 i can even find it i searched in Search box in Start I searched in control panal I searched in Setting but Nothing...
  7. Unable to create Homegroup on this computer.

Unable to create Homegroup on this computer.: Thought I would pass on a solution that worked for me when I was about to give up and reinstal again, without any guarantee of success. I installed Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago on my second computer, leaving the main computer on Win7 until I tried it out. Had so many...
  8. Unable to join homegroup, but from my computer

Unable to join homegroup, but from my computer: Hi, When I go to homegroup it says "my@emailaddress.com on MyComputer created a domain on the network." There are no other computers on the network and I do not have a password to join I have tried to delete:...
  9. Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.: I have multiple PCs in my house, one that I use myself, and one that is used by the others. Now I need to transfer about 80GB from one PC to the other, and I decided to try the homegroup thingy. Now I never set it up, not on my PC, nor on theirs, but since my bro is still...
  10. Add HomeGroup to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add HomeGroup to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Add HomeGroup to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information A Homegroup makes it easy to share pictures, music, documents, videos, and printers with other Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computers on your local home network. You can also stream...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add a new computer to existing homegroup windows 10