Windows 10: Unable to Assign my 2nd GPU to Applications

Discus and support Unable to Assign my 2nd GPU to Applications in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I used to use the NVIDIA Control Panel to assign Applications to either GPU0 or GPU1 but that seems to have stopped working. I soon discovered the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by kwebb12, Jun 25, 2020.

1. kwebb12 Win User

Unable to Assign my 2nd GPU to Applications

I used to use the NVIDIA Control Panel to assign Applications to either GPU0 or GPU1 but that seems to have stopped working. I soon discovered the "Graphics Performance Preference" section and noticed that it listed both my GPU0 RTX 2080 Ti as both the Power Saving and High Performance GPU; which is odd. I have both a 1080 Ti and a 2080 Ti

This used to work up until recently. But now, everything is forced/assigned to my 2080 Ti no matter what I do. This is a big problem for me as I have many applications running at once and need to be able to manually assign specific applications to specific GPU's.

You'll see in my screenshots below that only the 2080 Ti is showing up in that area; even though the card is detected and in the Task Manager. In the next screenshot you can see that I have set Firefox to be using the 1080 Ti in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but it's actually running on the 2080 Ti.

Please resolve this soon!

Unable to Assign my 2nd GPU to Applications f011918c-69be-4b80-9433-a3c0b4f8178f?upload=true.jpg

Unable to Assign my 2nd GPU to Applications fabe396f-22b1-47a7-af2c-5e1210994e25?upload=true.jpg

:)

kwebb12, Jun 25, 2020
  2. axe0 Win User

B(lack)SOD after closing GPU demanding applications and games

I would like to suggest 2 more things if you don't mind,
    1. Seat the GPU in another slot, if possible, and see if that helps anything
    2. Use the GPU in another system, if possible, this is a step to determine that it is really the GPU and not multiple defective slots or something else from the system.

3. Can't switch graphcis to 2nd GPU

Yes, I have tried doing that but it made the software crash and I had to uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Edit: For some reason after reinstalling the driver I still cannot choose the 2nd GPU but after I look at Task Manager the 2nd GPU is active, before it used to be 1st GPU. So, in short, the issue got resolved. Although it identifies as M330 instead of M430
    but that doesn't really matter. Thanks for your support

NarekOkroyan, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to assign XShell application to URL: Telnet protocol

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to associate XShell application to URL: Telnet. You may go ahead and try adding the program using Registry Editor and see if that helps.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open Run dialog box.
    2. Type regedit and click on OK.
    3. Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\telnet\shell\open\command
    4. On the right pane, double click on the (Default) value and change the file location with the location of the program that you want to associate.
    5. Close Registry editor and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Telnet to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to Assign my 2nd GPU to Applications - Similar Threads - Unable Assign 2nd

2. Assigning an Application to run on a specific Dedicated GPU when multiple Dedicated GPUs...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Assigning an Application to run on a specific Dedicated GPU when multiple Dedicated GPUs...: Hello;If you search this you will find well framed questions that receive no replies and get locked shortly after posting, it's very curious.The previous poster had a Nvidia 1080 and 1650 and wanted to pick which would accelerate a given app on a case by case basis. was...
  3. Multi-GPU, unable to set specific GPU for applications?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multi-GPU, unable to set specific GPU for applications?: I have both an Nvidia RTX 3080 and an RTX 2070 in my system. When I go to "Graphics Settings" and I attempt to select applications, it only shows the 3080 for both "power saving" and "high performance." How am I supposed to be able to specify which GPU is going to be used for...
  4. 2nd user applications

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    2nd user applications: Hello. I am running Win 10 Home. My question is can 2 different users share the same program installations? That is, if I create a 2nd admin account with a new name, is there anyway to share the applications installed by the first user with the new user? Thank you. 173610
  5. Assigning an Application to run on a specific Dedicated GPU when multiple Dedicated GPUs...

Assigning an Application to run on a specific Dedicated GPU when multiple Dedicated GPUs...: Hello All, I have tried to do some research on this topic but have only come out to dead ends and it seems like the function that is built into nvidia control panel is somehow overridden by windows. Lets explain: First my PC specs: Ryzen 2700x No integrated GPU Nvidia...
  6. Can't switch graphcis to 2nd GPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't switch graphcis to 2nd GPU: I have 2 GPUs on my laptop as you can see on the picture [ATTACH] R4 is an integrated GPU and R5 is a discrete GPU but I can't switch to R5. I tried setting each game to one GPU but for some reason the 2nd GPU doesn't appear on the options in Display settings. So, how...
  7. Assign a full keyboard to a specific application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assign a full keyboard to a specific application: I connected a secound keyboard to my PC and it actet normally, like it should. Through the driver I assigned hotkeys with which I tried to contol OBS. The problem was, whenever I launched a game, this game blocked the hotkey and tried to execute it. So I wantet to know is...
  8. Unable to assign XShell application to URL: Telnet protocol

Unable to assign XShell application to URL: Telnet protocol: Let me explain detail my problem following- I am Network Engineer. So that's why, When I using the lab in EVE-ng and I want to be open my Xshell application as default console app but I can't set my xshell app into choose default app by protocol about URL: Telnet, URL: ssh...
  9. Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-virtual-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557
  10. Assigning Application to Specific Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557