Windows 10: Unable to backup files

Discus and support Unable to backup files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After removing the folders I was trying to back up I can not add new folders. I click on 'Add folders' and it gives me options in C or E drive. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RobertCattell, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Unable to backup files

After removing the folders I was trying to back up I can not add new folders. I click on 'Add folders' and it gives me options in C or E drive. I choose one eg. E:\Users\documents and it attempts to add the folder but the backup folder list remains blank.

***Modified title from: Windows 10 backup***

:)

RobertCattell, Jan 2, 2019

2. Error Code 301 unable to backup files

Hi,

I realize that you are unable to backup files due to error 301. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Are you backing up the files to an external HDD?

• What is the available free space on the external HDD?
    Suggest you to boot the computer in a clean boot state and check if that helps. A clean boot state will help us to determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Unable to backup files [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

Unable to backup files

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Unable to backup files

1. Unable to backup files - Similar Threads - Unable backup files

2. Unable to Backup all files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Backup all files: I was doing a backup of my files - several of which were skipped. I would like ALL of my files, but then I was presented with a "notepad" enumerating omitted files- I confess that I have NO clue, never had a clue what this "NOTEPAD" is - what is its function and how is it...
  3. Backup files

Backup files: I want to set up automatic daily backup of my files e.g. documents and photos. I don't see an option to select the time of the backup to start. How do I choose the daily backup start time?...
  4. URGENT : Unable to Backup using File History on Windows 10

URGENT : Unable to Backup using File History on Windows 10: Two days ago I woke up to my computer doing THIS when it restarted to perform regular Windows Updates. So since I am on a Laptop with no real tech skills during a Pandemic, I opted to simply invest in a new laptop and begin backing up my information while the Hard Drive is...
  5. Unable to add folders to File History Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to add folders to File History Backup: Hi everyone, hopefully this is the right place to post. I’m trying to create a backup as part of a course and I’m running into issues. The assignment specifies using backup and restore (windows 7) for this, but when I click on setup backup nothing happens. The spinning wheel...
  6. Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer: I am unable to mount file/folder backups in Windows Explorer I eventually get the error '[drive letter]:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect' The backup can be seen in Win Explorer and has been assigned a drive letter but if selected it returns the above error I...
  7. Unable to backup File History on Storage Space drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to backup File History on Storage Space drive: I’m trying to set up and use Windows 10 File History for the first time. I go into Control Panel, File History, then Select drive, but only my D: drive (an internal SSD) and 3x network shares (on external NAS) appear on the list of drives recognised by File History. It does...
  8. Unable to Backup / update File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to Backup / update File History: For a couple of months Backup and File History have not been working, even after a successful update to October which cured some problems. I think I have checked out most possibilities, including accessing and starting Backup both from Settings and via Control Panel. I...
  9. File Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Backup: I am running windows 10 PRO (64). I have two internal drives (each 1 TB solid state - drives C and E) and three external disc drives (G - 2TB, H - 3TB and I - 2TB). I would like to back up all my files/folders on C and E as well as some other folders (like Favorites and...
  10. backup a file

backup a file: backup does not automatically backup. I have to go to settings and do it manually every time i want a file backed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-a-file/de72d377-937c-4a24-b968-13c6994296d8