Windows 10: unable to boost the computer from the USB thumb drive with download Windows installation media

Discus and support unable to boost the computer from the USB thumb drive with download Windows installation media in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've a LENOVO IDEAPAD 510S14ISK. Since Window10 system in it updated I can't use. I see a blue screen, saying Advanced options. I tried all of them but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PETERLU7, Jul 18, 2021.

1. PETERLU7 Win User

unable to boost the computer from the USB thumb drive with download Windows installation media

I've a LENOVO IDEAPAD 510S14ISK. Since Window10 system in it updated I can't use. I see a blue screen, saying Advanced options. I tried all of them but it did not work.About two weeks ago, ‘Chukwuemeka‘ kindly tried to help me and instructed me to download the Windows installation media. However, it seems I will not be able to boost this computer from the USB thumb drive to begin setup, not seeing options to chose how to boost. I have tried many ways, like holding the Shift key, F1, Esc, and other ways, when choose the Restart option in the Start menu, it always come back to blue sc

:)

PETERLU7, Jul 18, 2021
  2. marbu Win User

Unable to boot Windows 10 installer from an original usb thumb drive

I'm unable to boot Windows 10 installer from an original usb thumb drive
    (from Windows 10 Home FPP package we just bought) on our machine.

On one hand, our machine is a bit old already:

• motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L
    • bios: Award (version F5F) (so no UEFI is involved)

on the other hand it matches all major requirements stated in official
    windows 10 overview
    and I don't see any obvious reason why such hw would be no longer supported.

First of all I would like to point out that the problem is not caused by
    wrong bios boot configuration
    . I booted Fedora Installer from usb thumb
    drive on the machine without any problems, then I turned the machine off and
    replaced linux usb stick with windows 10 one (so that the same usb port and
    bios configuration is used) and it didn't work.

See the error message I got when trying to boot Windows 10 usb media:

It suggests that mbr bootloader (the executable stored in mbr of win 10 usb
    media) has been actually executed, as the same error message can be found
    in the mbr data:

Which makes me think that bios did start the bootloader, but it must have
    failed very early in the boot process for some reason. Unfortunately the error
    message is not very clear as the partition table looks fine to me:

Moreover I was able to boot it on another machine (an old laptop) to check
    that the windows 10 usb is fine and bootable (I didn't try to run the
    installation here though, I just checked if it boots). So the media bootloader
    seems to be fine after all.

So at this point it's quite clear that our bios/motherboard hates our new
    Windows 10 usb stick.

To find out if this compatibility issue lies in the usb thumb drive itself
    (hardware) or in windows 10 bootloader (software), I tried to clone the win 10
    drive into another usb stick (which previously successfully booted with Fedora
    Linux on our machine). This cloned windows stick failed to boot on our machine
    and then booted fine on old laptop, which means that the issue is in the
    software side of windows 10 bootloader.

Other things I have tried and failed so far:

• updated bios (from F3 to F5F) with no effect
    • download windows 10 iso from microsoft site
      which booted fine, but our product key can't be used with it, edit: here I did a mistake when selection edition of iso file, see my answer below

So to sum it up:

• it seems that windows 10 bootloader from official usb media is
      broken/incompatible with our machine
    • we can't boot windows 10 usb stick it as it has been purchased

The only solution I can come up with now is to create iso image from our
    windows 10 usb drive so that we can boot from dvd instead. How to do this
    so that it would be both straightforward and legal?

With all this in mind, I would also like to know what is the good windows way,
    Microsoft preferred, approach to solve this. Replacement of any hw component
    doesn't count.

I wasn't able to find reasonable suggestion (official Microsoft service or
    tool) or documentation, even when googling wiht site:microsoft.com or
    searching on support.microsoft.com.

Additional questions I have:

• How can I verify that the usb thumb drive contains valid data so that I can
      rule out a bad media option without the need to actually boot it? I mean
      something like sha checksums of the media or files on it as it's usually
      done with linux distributions.
    • What does the puzzling Invalid parition table error even mean here? Where
      can I find documentation for the bootloader?
    • Since this looks like a blatant bug in the windows 10 bootloader, where
      is the right place to complain about it? (If everything fails, I will return
      this product back to the retailer, but this is the very last step and I would
      like to complain about this to someone else as well)

Interesting related google results:

marbu, Jul 18, 2021
  3. Clean installation of Windows 10 using installation media

Greetings. I am attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10 using the instructions found at Reinstall Windows .
    I was able to successfully create the installation media on a USB thumb drive. However, when I performed the steps for the actual installation I got up to the Use a device screen but my thumb drive does not appear on the list. The two options that do appear
    are: Onboard NIC (IPV4) and Onboard NIC (IPV6). Suggestions? Thanks.

TeddVanWagner, Jul 18, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

unable to boost the computer from the USB thumb drive with download Windows installation media

Is my thumb drive dying?

I just downloaded an updated W7 Home Premium x64 SP1 ISO, and I was copying those files over to my W7 installation thumb drive. It seems to fail every time I copy the files over. The drive just disappears, no longer listed in My Computer. I also hear the device disconnected sound. I tried moving it from my front panel USB ports to one of the ports in the back and the same thing happened. I believe this is grounds to call it a dead drive...?

Thema:

1. unable to boost the computer from the USB thumb drive with download Windows installation media - Similar Threads - unable boost computer

2. Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive: "Please update device settings to accept media transfers" is the message that shows up when I plug any thumb drive in to any port. I have used the exact drives in the past with no issues. I have run diagnostics which have come back clean. I'm a photographer and transferring...
  3. Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to transfer images from my computer to a thumb drive: "Please update device settings to accept media transfers" is the message that shows up when I plug any thumb drive in to any port. I have used the exact drives in the past with no issues. I have run diagnostics which have come back clean. I'm a photographer and transferring...
  4. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  5. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  6. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Install windows 10 from a thumb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install windows 10 from a thumb drive: How do you install Windows 10 from a thumb drive onto a desk top that has vista? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-windows-10-from-a-thumb-drive/aa17c0a9-43df-4a3c-ae67-b46fdec07e45
  8. USB thumb drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB thumb drives: Sorry not really a w10 issue but how much actual data should I expect to get from a 32g drive? I just bought one and it is only 28.6 should I return it? I contacted Sandisk and this is what they said; Thank you for contacting SanDisk® Global Customer Support. I understand...
  9. backup to usb thumb drives?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup to usb thumb drives?: Is it possible to do backups to thumbdrives? If so, is it possible to do those backups with common backup apps such as macrim and/or AOMEI? If so what are the pros and cons? Windows 10 Pro 64 bit CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz Ram: 16GB Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram Winver 1903...
  10. Install Windows 10 from thumb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 from thumb drive: I have a thumb drive with Windows 10 from 5/31/2018. How do I Install Windows 10 from the thumb drive to a new SSHD in my Dell Desktop: Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G630 @ 2.70GHz 210 GHz Installed RAM 4.00 GB System type 64-bit operating system,...