Windows 10: Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Discus and support Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vjblr, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Vjblr Win User

Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

Hello,

I did cloning of my original Sata 1 TB HDD to New 1 TB SSD (WD) using Macrium Software. No issues found during cloning and everything went fine. I did swap the hard disk and when I turn on the laptop I am unable to boot to windows. I did try legacy boot option and also UEFI option and non worked. Please note I didn't create rescue media before cloning, but have the old HDD with all the files intact. Can anyone pls help me resolve this issue?

Thanks.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 17" 5720
    BIOS Version: A19 Dell

:)

Vjblr, Jan 4, 2019
  2. jmchatain Win User

Problem with boot after cloning HDD to SSD - Please Help !

Hi,

I have windows 10 on my Dell and I just cloned my HDD onto a SSD. I changed the BIOS priority with 1) SSD and 2) HDD. The boot was still very slow as if on my HDD (and not SSD). When I look at the C:/Windows/Temp it gives me today's date, which means
    to me that it has booted on the C:/. When I look at the F:/Windows/Temp I have yesterday's date (when I cloned). F:/ is my SSD.

What did I do wrong and how can I boot from the SSD drive?

I would like to keep the HDD as back up. FYI the HDD is on SATA 1, CD on SATA 2 and SSD on SATA 3.

Here is a picture of my disc manager.

Thanks !

jmchatain, Jan 4, 2019
  3. SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I have a SATA internal HDD that supposed to be my main operational disk but I bought a "lay flat docking station" for Another SATA internal HDD that I cloned from my internal drive on my tower. But now I look at the properties on both drives and they both
    say they are online. Is it bad to have them working that way because I don't know what drive is working at any given time? I'm assuming I need to go into the BIOS and set it to which drive I want?

deerpark243, Jan 4, 2019
  4. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

SATA internal HDD and external SATA HDD

I don't understand, the external drive isn't actually an external drive, it's a SCSI SATA disk drive in a lay flat docking station connected by a USB 3.0 cable. The docking station did clone the "C" drive ok. So, isn't it just like as if the SCSI SATA
    drive was in the tower just like the original "C" SCSI disk drive but not hooked up to the SATA data cable?

deerpark243, Jan 4, 2019
Thema:

Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD

1. Unable to boot after cloning Sata HDD to Sata SSD - Similar Threads - Unable boot cloning

2. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  3. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme: Hi so i'm planning on building a new pc and my main storage drive on it will be an m.2 nvme and i want to clone my current pc's main sata ssd with my windows install on it to the new pc, I already know how to clone sata ssd to m.2 nvme and keep all my old files and keep...
  4. cloning sata ssd to m.2 nvme

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. BSOD after cloned 250GB SSD to 500GB SSD (both SATA)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD after cloned 250GB SSD to 500GB SSD (both SATA): I used Macrium Reflect to do the clone. 250GB Samsung 850EVO to 500GB Samsung 860EVO, both drives are SATA. Computer worked fine for about 24 hours, then I started getting BSOD's, I don't have a screenshot, but it said "critical error" or something like that. Finally, the...
  6. sata ssd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sata ssd: I installed a sata 6 internal ssd and my cpu is not recognizing the drive what must I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sata-ssd/5c8a216f-bfe8-46f4-804a-745e44997e32
  7. Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned M.2 Boot SSD to Sata SSD, How do I boot to the cloned drive?: My Windows is Windows 10 Pro Version 1909. I have a Western Digital SN750 M.2 NVME SSD. It has my Windows 10 Installation and a Data Partition. I recently bought a Samsung 960 Evo which is a Sata SSD. They are both 1 TB. I used the Samsung Data Migration Tool to Clone my...
  8. SATA HDD recognised as SSD

SATA HDD recognised as SSD: Hi. My SATA HDD is recognised as a SSD and Windows 10 will not perform defragmentation on it as a result; which I appreciate. I've tried many of the prescribed procedures mentioned on forums but to no effect. I'm pretty convinced that the problem lies in the fact I have...
  9. Sata ssd

Sata ssd: What is the difference between SATAI,II,and III? I want to buy one from EBay. Its a Seagate SATA I for only $11.00 160gb don't need much more than that. Just enough to hold small docs and for surfing. 102827
  10. SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable

SATA HDD & SSD shown as removable: Bios does not have Hot Swap options for SATA drives. Interface is AHCI. Have tried: " reg.exe add “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device” /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d x" Which corrects for one drive but when run on the second...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to boot after cloning sata hdd to ssd